The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Old thread here.

Last post:

It's these moments that make me glad I'm Polish and can enjoy the books at my leisure. Eilhart's character is unchanged from the saga. She is a very competent politician, ruthless, pragmatic, and manipulative, backed by the secret league of the sorceresses (the Feminist Magical International, as Yennefer put it elegantly and I inelegantly translated). She did have issues with her libido, including taking calls in negligee with lipstick smudges on the neck. Her conflict with Radowid runs a lot deeper than her simply assassinating his father. She was the woman behind the regency council, marginalizing little Radowid and his mother, humiliating him with her overt attempts to break and reshape him into her pawn. She even went so far as marginalize him during the victory parade in Wyzima, where she and Dijkstra (her lover, the Redanian spymaster she later betrayed) stood alongside kings where he, the heir should be.  It went on for years, causing these deep seated issues you see.

I wouldn't consider her mistakes being silly, though. They are a result of her character flaws, including the aforementioned libido and general disdain for non-magicians (she did underestimate Geralt at several points, but Geralt can't really pass for a stupid brute convincingly). I was quite surprised at how consistent her portrayal was with the books, including the mannerisms. 

By the way, here's a few calculations I made basing on the books and the official Witcher game map:

Wyzima - Vengerberg 8cm = 4-5 days of intense horse riding

Anchor - Gors Velen = 3 days

Anchor - Tretogor = 7.5 cm = 300 mil 

1cm = 40 miles

7.5 cm x 5 cm

300 x 200 mil = 60000 mil2 - Temeria

6 cm x 7 cm = 240 x 280 = 67200 mil2 - Redania

8 cm x 7 cm = 320 x 280 = 89600 mil2 - Kaedwen (UK: 88,744.8, don't remember the criteria, though)

1cm = 64 km

0.01 m = 64000 m 

Map scale: 1 : 6400000

So there you have it. Note that these are very, very rough and I may be off by several thousand square miles. I'm not even sure the miles in the Witcher universe are the standard Imperial mile. They might be using Arabic or German miles for all we know.

That's an insightful post, thanks for sharing :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Gametrailer's trailer/teaser/very short whatever the nomenclature:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/g82gj1/the-witcher-3--wild-hunt-vgx-2013--world-premiere-trailer

Really not sure what to think of this, seems like a very simple plot when compared to the first two games, but I suppose one could refine those two down to: Find the Witcher Mutagens and Find the Kingslayer, so there is hope that the game will be far more than a simple face off between the Dearg Rhudri and Geralt, while utilising a simple theme.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes I agree Novigrad and Eredin in his Hunt armour are both looking especially nice.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's been a long while since the last sandbox game I truly enjoyed. That would be Morrowind. Everything since then has been a severe disappointment; so much so I didn't even bother with Skyrim.

I'm really looking forward to this though. Combining strong writing with a sandbox hasn't been done well since Fallout 2. If anyone can do it now, it's these guys.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Didn't have the patience to sit through the ads. They spawn again after the clip.

Wow you that busy to not wait for 20 seconds :wowey:   And its a Sunday, how do you  cope during the week ?

:teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

CDPR makes sweet looking trailers, we already knew this.  They wear the Trailer Champions of the World belt.  Other than that, nothing really to take away from the new trailer other than Eredin Bréacc Glas looks badass and there was a sweet looking flyover of city.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's been a long while since the last sandbox game I truly enjoyed. That would be Morrowind.

but but but... New Vegas?  :ninja:

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

but but but... New Vegas?  :ninja:

I'll take an* Alpha Protocol over that game any day.

*Edit

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

These aren't even real sandbox games. People always confuse open world with sandbox. Why is definitely beyond me. Crusader Kings 2 is a sandbox, Europa Universalis is, Dwarf Fortress is, Mount & Blade is. But definitely no Elder Scrolls game and no Fallout game.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

Don't you love when nerds want to discuss the definition of things? It's so refreshing because in the history of the internet, this has never happened before.

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

For me personally, a sandbox game is where you really can do whatever you want. Like... you want to bake bread like in Ultima Online, then you can. Or you own a house and are able to add furniture to it,... stuff like that. You can't do such things in most "sandbox games from nowadays" like, for example, GTA5. Sure you got the huge open world, and you might have minigames, but other than that there is nothing else to be done. Same with Red Dead Redemption. It's a great game, but it surely is no sandbox game.

Yadda-yadda.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

shun the non-believer! 

Oh, man, where do I start...

You need to shout burn the witch to achieve the proper effect and whip the mob into a frenzy! Non-believers are tolerated, creatures that turn you into newts... Now that's a horror everyone hates.

CDPR makes sweet looking trailers, we already knew this.  They wear the Trailer Champions of the World belt.  Other than that, nothing really to take away from the new trailer other than Eredin Bréacc Glas looks badass and there was a sweet looking flyover of city.

in a combat scene you can clearly see an enemy's arm fly off after Geralt's attack

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been following this one closely (I consider TW2 a pretty big letdown still, mechanics wise) but so far I haven't seen anything about movement and/or combat, has that been talked about in any detail at all yet? (if so, any pointers?)

I believe that the city featured is Novigrad not Oxford, i'm not sure that the scholarly town will not be present however and Shani may be featured anyway.

Tea for the teapot!