RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - FREE WHITE HOUSE MONTAGE

Blarghagh

Man, I am tired of things disappearing from stores because of legal issues. Will they ever patch the game to run without GFWL?! Noooooo, but they will remove some of the music with a patch. More reason to stick to physical copies.

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

In GTAV even if you have the physical copy, to get more recent radio stations means updating. So in theory you could update and get some new music, but lose others. Even while you physically still have them on disc. Which is whack.

Descent games have been back since December, iirc November. They were only removed because Herve forgot to pass on royalties- he's very busy, so completely understandable- and there was no intrinsic legal issue with the rights apart from that. There are plenty of examples of licensing issues getting games outright removed, racing games using real vehicles are probably the most effected proportionally by removals due to rights loss.

• Like 1

Imagine if music had to be removed from movies after ten years..

Why are games treated so badly?

Because they can. But imagine it's mostly because movie producers pay royalties for use. While game producers opt for limited licences, I imagine it's cheaper.

Fortune favors the bald.

Imagine if music had to be removed from movies after ten years..

Why are games treated so badly?

Because they can. But imagine it's mostly because movie producers pay royalties for use. While game producers opt for limited licences, I imagine it's cheaper.

Yep, those licenses are cheaper, and there is also the issue of format shifting not being specified in licenses- if a license specifies CD or VHS then you may have to renegotiate if you're going download or DVD. Games aren't treated uniquely badly in that respect. Many TV shows run into problems with music licensing expiry as well. Shows which used a heap of high profile music especially were effected, like Tour of Duty whose first DVD release (iirc) even required a new rights free title song due to them no longer having 'Paint it Black' licensed and had most of its contemporary soundtrack replaced with generic muzak.

Finally the game looks good. It always pissed me off how the game never looked like the promo screenshots that are shown everywhere. All I ever could see while playing was a crappy, blurry, brown pixel mess.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finally the game looks good. It always pissed me off how the game never looked like the promo screenshots that are shown everywhere. All I ever could see while playing was a crappy, blurry, brown pixel mess.

Especially so if you played the PS3 version like me which ran at a miserable 1152x640 resolution. 

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Frostpunk comes out in what? 12 days? I wasn't going to get it originally but I just watched a developer video with about an hour of gameplay, the game looks amazing. Not sure if I'll get it at launch but I'll definitely get it sooner or later.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Frostpunk comes out in what? 12 days? I wasn't going to get it originally but I just watched a developer video with about an hour of gameplay, the game looks amazing. Not sure if I'll get it at launch but I'll definitely get it sooner or later.

Bad timing for me, would like to play that and Battletech. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

‘Donkey Kong’ legend Billy Mitchell has high scores wiped from record books

Pac-Man and Donkey Kong master Billy Mitchell has built up quite the reputation for himself over the last few decades, both for his undeniable gaming skills and his abrasive and competitive personality. Unfortunately, it appears he’ll now be remembered for something else, as well: Cheating.

Twin Galaxies, a retro-gaming record organization that tracks scores in many classic arcade games, announced on April 12 that it was removing Billy Mitchell’s Donkey Kong scores from its leaderboards, as well as all scores he had achieved in other games.
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Donkey Kong legend ?  Huh... ok.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

‘Donkey Kong’ legend Billy Mitchell has high scores wiped from record books

Pac-Man and Donkey Kong master Billy Mitchell has built up quite the reputation for himself over the last few decades, both for his undeniable gaming skills and his abrasive and competitive personality. Unfortunately, it appears he’ll now be remembered for something else, as well: Cheating.

Twin Galaxies, a retro-gaming record organization that tracks scores in many classic arcade games, announced on April 12 that it was removing Billy Mitchell’s Donkey Kong scores from its leaderboards, as well as all scores he had achieved in other games.

That guy always seemed pretty darned sketchy, so I'm not terribly surprised he was proven to be a cheater.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^ Is the dong-slider still in the character creator?  Will it be in the console versions?  

No dong-slider no sale.  :brows:

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks