RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - FREE WHITE HOUSE MONTAGE

Blarghagh

DoW2 wasn't exactly a straight up RTS either.

I thought DoW2 was quite fun. Liked most of the campaigns, even if they were a tad simple. DoW3 sparked like no interest in me at all.

I wish that we had gotten the DoW2 that they conceptualized.

• Like 1

Well, weapon gear is in, big vehicles are in, big explosions are in. Everything else in that video is highly scripted and probably wouldn't be fun for long.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Holy ****, I just saw that a remake for Shadow of the Collossus was released. Normally graphical upgrades don't impress me but this is ridiculously well done:

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Jade Empire was last good Bioware game.

[insert relevant Tropic Thunder quote]

Though it does kind of sum up mid noughties Bioware that their 'unique' Chinese setting somehow results in a game even more generic than their forgotten realms (!), star wars (!!) or deliberately generic space opera game of equivalent era. Kindest thing I can say about JE is that it was mercifully short.

I would like to see a strong attempt at a Wuxia-esque rpg though. CDPR is about the only company that I can think of that might pull that off. Maybe Bethesda if they spend time creating a different gameplay paradigm other than their 1st person one.

So they'd do a great job, but only if they improved first on the only important thing a Wuxia game would be about :D

(just kidding)

"CDPR is about the only company that I can think of that might pull that off."

Kd9Kl.gif

The combat roll of Witcher 2.

Geralt, part mutant, part Sonic.

• Like 2

I would like to see a strong attempt at a Wuxia-esque rpg though. CDPR is about the only company that I can think of that might pull that off. Maybe Bethesda if they spend time creating a different gameplay paradigm other than their 1st person one.

I'd prefer to see some actual Chinese do it. CDPR has been good at doing what they know, medievalesque lowish magic Poland, but that's it and that's a fair distance from ancient/ medieval China. And Bethesda... would probably make me long for Bioware's highly respectful and original take. Suppose Arkane might be OK, from the overall Beth stable, but even with them it would be a departure they just have a more varied portfolio.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Arkane try their hand at an rpg. Having not done any, it's hard to predict how that would fair. I want them to stick to their guns, as it's my favorite genre and very few people venture into it.

Bethesda I can't see deviating from their guns, I just hope they retool idTech into BethTech and that's asking a lot. Though I think they could manage the rpg aspects of such a game.

Yeah, I would agree a Chinese developer would probably be the best option. I really don't know much about that scene, none of their games seem to make it to the west. Most of their games seem to MMOs, Multi-player focuses, micro-transaction based. I've seen a few 3D hack-n-slashes starting to take off over there. But nothing like the rich-rpg systems that it seems only the west produces as this time. Not even Japan really ventures there.

Maybe Bioware could take their best lessons from DA:I and do a fresh take on the Jade Empire IP. Feels like long shot. The only reason I think CDPR has the best shot is largely to do with the Red Engine being primed to tackle such a game, and they've got the production infrastructure to do so.

Well I certainly don't claim I'm not ignorant of the Chinese dev scene, but that game is a far cry from what I imagine a Wuxia game to be. I guess I'm imagining a game more with martial based combat, but with a rich amount of dialogue and dialogue choice. Basically Jade Empire but with another decade+ of game design to draw from. Maybe the new Total War will spark enough interest in Wuxia that a western dev would take a crack at it.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Arkane try their hand at an rpg. Having not done any, it's hard to predict how that would fair.

They did Arx Fatalis as their first game and it's definitely an RPG much like Ultima Underworld it was based on. Arx is not without its problems but a pretty good game overall. There's also Dark Messiah Might and Magic which had strong RPG elements (and was based on an RPG franchise).

Otherwise their games have generally aped Looking Glass Games- Dishonoured was Thief and Prey was System Shock- and as with the LGS originals they were all RPGish games without actually being RPGs.

Fire was a primary gameplay element in FC2 and it's super dry area, while it's apparently not in FC5. Makes sense that FC2 has a bigger focus on it.

/Edit: maybe I should give FC2 another try. Never finished it because of the tedious grind. That video above makes it looks pretty cool, though.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Far Cry 2 I think is a far better sandbox game than the later entries. It has more in-common I feel with Crysis "free to approach" style than later FC entries had. Particularly because it focus on these subtle AI behaviors and inter-connected environment systems that encourage you to engage with them.

Definitely play on one of the hard difficulties.

Grind?! Far Cry 2 is an exploration game more than anything, not a MMO.

Game doesn't have to be an MMO to be a grind.

What to explore? The stuff I remember from playing it is pretty much go from x to y, destroy outposts, get past checkpoints (with quickly respawning enemies) and collect whatever it was (money?) to unlock weapons.

Edited by Lexx

I guess it depends on how you feel about open world games

And how well they hide the grind.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What to explore?

The world itself. There ain't much besides the jackal audio tapes and diamonds but the world is so well built that it makes you want to traverse and see every little hill, waterfall, hut etc. The emptiness gives you a sense of solitude that you don't get with other Far Cry games and it is also closer to 'reality' because there ain't much to do or see in a savanna except for the savanna itself.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.