English accents. Best and worst

ShadySands

English is my wife's third language and she occasionally has problems understanding some accents. The worst for her in the US is a thick southern drawl but internationally she really struggles with some of the English and Scottish accents whereas I struggle with some Indian and Australian ones. I wanted to ask here what do you all think are some of the best and worst English accents from English speaking countries.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I tend to like Scottish accents. I'm neutral towards most English (or British, whatever) accents, though I hate "commercial" English accents - anytime the voice-over in an American commercial has a British accent, that's the one I'm talking about. For some reason, companies think having the most outrageously pompous-sounding Brits talk down to us is a good idea.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My students are doing country presentations this week, and I was talking to them about presenting with the accent of the country. It was decided that most European accents are safe for anyone, but you can really only get away Indian and Japanese if you are white. Chinese and Mexican sounds pretty offensive unless you are from those cultures. It was a fun conversation. My French accent is pretty solid.

Thick Scottish accent is probably the worst for me. I like the Yorkshire, Aussie and South African ones.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My students are doing country presentations this week, and I was talking to them about presenting with the accent of the country. It was decided that most European accents are safe for anyone, but you can really only get away Indian and Japanese if you are white. Chinese and Mexican sounds pretty offensive unless you are from those cultures. It was a fun conversation. My French accent is pretty solid.

You could still end up with an offensive Indian and Japanese accent if you do it wrong. Also, while there is that type of Italian accent usually done for comedy reasons, I don't know how offensive Italians find it.

The French generally (stereotypically, and may not be true for everyone) get upset if you do French wrong or not too superbly well. They are known for being pretty defensive about their native language though.

You could still end up with an offensive Indian and Japanese accent if you do it wrong. Also, while there is that type of Italian accent usually done for comedy reasons, I don't know how offensive Italians find it.

The French generally (stereotypically, and may not be true for everyone) get upset if you do French wrong or not too superbly well. They are known for being pretty defensive about their native language though.

I think it's the difference of mimicking an accent of another English speaking country and mimicking the accent of someone from a non-English speaking country trying to speak English. It's easier to get away with the former than the latter. Not impossible just harder to get away with without offending someone.

I used to do a pretty good bad Swedish accent

Free games updated 3/4/21

For non-English English accents, I like Russian.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you include slang, then certain dialects become additionally indecipherable. I find for Australia it's the slang that get's me more than the accent, where as Scottish it's both. I really like Scottish accents in general, though a few get at bit too backwater at times.

I really like Pan-London, Cornish, Portsmouth, Hackney and Oxford accents. It's amazing how diverse the accents of the UK are compared to the US. Which as far wider dialectical regions.

As far as Indian-English, I've seen quite a lot of variety. Some of it is incredibly hard to bare. The worst is not just when there is a strong accent with little effort applied, but it's when someone refuses to raise their voice. I've meet more than a few Indian people who practically mumble and whisper everything, not really sure what this is all about. I usually consider Japan or something a place where a gentle voice is often used. In India it's not everyone but certain people maintain an incredibly soft voice. They're really nice, meek, friendly people. But communication is incredibly trying like nothing else. It's even worse when you are in a group of Indian people and you can perfectly understand some but not others. So that same person you have to ask the same person to repeat themselves every time they speak.

American Southern Hick is probably the worst English accent of all time though. The southern drawl can sort of go either way for me, I think the feigned hospitality really ruins it for me though. Valley talk is pretty bad though, and is made even worse when people from the midwest tried to take up that accent, so you have this weird generation of older woman in the midwest who have this teenage Valley girl accent. Tends to be found more in the rural areas.

Part of me kind of misses some of the older American accents and dialects that are dying out. Particularly Mid-Atlantic.

Just being from a city, I find my taste in American accents is really cut along city/rural lines, preferring suburban dialects. Where as my taste in accents in the greater Anglo-sphere is more based on what aesthetics I like.

• Like 1

I think it's the difference of mimicking an accent of another English speaking country and mimicking the accent of someone from a non-English speaking country trying to speak English. It's easier to get away with the former than the latter. Not impossible just harder to get away with without offending someone.

I used to do a pretty good bad Swedish accent

Japan isn't primarily or a large portion english speaking, though there could be enough that you might be able to get away with it.

I think the reason why Japanese is less offensive, is because people just end up attempting the actual Japanese accent. Because Japan has a whole system as well phoneticizing loan words, an English speaker doing Engrish is just speaking loan word Japanese.

I think it's further alleviated by the fact that American and Japan have a lot of given and take culturally, and are both well established first world countries. So there isn't as much punching down.

The only time I've totally failed to understand English was meeting a pleasant older gentleman from Scotland whose accent was impenetrable for me even after listening to him for a bit (usually if I hear someone speak enough English it gives me the ability to de-code their accent).

My brother ended up having to translate for me (he'd been in the UK for awhile when I came to visit).  Total embarrassment.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The best is whatever Sean Connery has. The worst is probably me because speech to text screws up every time. Plus even Siri can't make heads or tails of what I'm asking.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

the hardest for me (warning language):

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Seems vaguely relevant, though I usually loathe propagating deliberately viral commercials as a matter of principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mDoqrhiem0&pbjreload=10

I struggle with some Indian and Australian ones.

Our antipodean vowel shifting is certainly out of hand:

oil hiv sikhs beets of feesh ind two scoops of cheeps, cobbah == aussie

I'll have six bits of fish and two scoops of chips, my good man/ woman == translation to queen's english

ull huv sux buts of fush und two scoops of chups, bro == kiwi as a bonus

Everyone struggles with some of the Indian ones. I like Indians as a people a lot, but I always groan inwardly when someone's tech support is run out of India as they struggle with our accent (understandably) and we struggle with theirs just as much. OTOH my Hindi (Gujarati/ Marathi etc etc) could certainly use some work.

• Like 2

Best dialect

Edited by Malcador