I guess (hope) they'll go as deep as Dragon Age's Keep...

Where you could just overlook the choices you made and change the global outcome of 'em, or dive into every single detail.

But something bothers me, I kinda feel like if I don't import & make a custom Save State, to me that means that I'll be in front of every single detail that is suppose to have an impact in Deadfire. But I want to keep the suprise !

So, in the end I don't think I will make one, & just assume my decisions & deal with their consequences.

(Thinking about it this way is kinda fun actually)

@Gromnir: That's the difference, you've been around the Obsidian boards for many years, I've been around here barely more than six months, so of course I'm not going to know where Josh Sawyer is from, and I was answering Sannon's question.

By this point, Josh probably knows where Gromnir is from, too. 

I've still never seen Josh Sawyer and Gromnir in the same room together.

• Like 4

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The only thing that I'm unclear about is: If I create my own endgame state, will I get to set ALL variables that are set when importing a save from PoE, or just a number of "bigger"/"more important" ones (and the others are set to a "default" state behind the scenes)?

I'd definitely like to be able to set all variables.

My suspicions are that you'll probably only define the variables for the main storyline, and leave that of the secondary quests as if they had not been finished. From a newbie-friendly perspective I'm not sure how good a design choice it'd be to ask too much about their past actions in a world and conflict they haven't yet been introduced to. Tyranny did do a good job with it but I think that was also fairly different as it didn't have to account for the player choices of a previous game, it was simply its own thing.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

My suspicions are that you'll probably only define the variables for the main storyline, and leave that of the secondary quests as if they had not been finished. From a newbie-friendly perspective I'm not sure how good a design choice it'd be to ask too much about their past actions in a world and conflict they haven't yet been introduced to.

I understand the point about newbie-friendliness, but it would be a shame if I had to play through the first game again every time I wanted a new play through in Deadfire with specific outcomes* :p Imho a sleeker implementation would be to give the option to set states for all content that carries over, but if side content is not set, the game would act as though said content had not been played. This way, novice players could ignore the details and focus on main story line endgame states, and more advanced players would get to determine the minor stuff as well.

Appreciate that would all be extra work for the dev team, though. Ultimately it's not going to be a deal-breaker either way; I just hope I get to determine endgame states for lots of stuff.

* Don't get me wrong, the game is great—just very long to play just for the sake of setting endgame states for another game.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My suspicions are that you'll probably only define the variables for the main storyline, and leave that of the secondary quests as if they had not been finished. From a newbie-friendly perspective I'm not sure how good a design choice it'd be to ask too much about their past actions in a world and conflict they haven't yet been introduced to. Tyranny did do a good job with it but I think that was also fairly different as it didn't have to account for the player choices of a previous game, it was simply its own thing.

Well there was mention of a few preset options as well as the option of customising your own, so I hope those presets are the newbie friendly option and the custom option is more detailed.

• Like 2

Won't everybody here just import a savegame though?

I see this as an option for people who may not have played the first game, or don't have an end-POE1 savegame for whichever reason, to set some variables the way they like it, without needing to replay the game, or hunt down saves online.

My saves are way too old and I don't recall most choices I've made. Besides there are specific endgames states I'm interested in that I may not have gone for while playing PoE because I didn't know there would be an impact on Deadfire.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/910289350562160641

Somebody less lazy should probably just post the image directly.  It's pretty clearly an excerpt from a table of multiclass names.  Default organization is likely alphabetical, and that fits with the columns (Chanter, Cipher, Druid), but it gets weird in the rows.  Looks to me like Druid, Fighter, Priest, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, and Wizard, top-to-bottom.  Which is mostly alphabetical, except that Priest comes before Monk, and Paladin is out entirely (or all the way at the top with the Barbarians).  But Priest-Druid as "Universalist" is so on-the-nose that I'm pretty confident, in spite of the alphabetical anomaly.

Edited by Enoch

Somebody less lazy should probably just post the image directly.  It's pretty clearly an excerpt from a table of multiclass names, but as far as I can tell, there's a row missing.  Default organization is likely alphabetical, and that fits with the columns (Chanter, Cipher, Druid) and most of the rows (Druid, Fighter, Monk, ???, Ranger, Rogue, Wizard), but the 4th row down (Cantor, Transcendent, Ascetic) is either Paladin or Priest, and the other one appears to be omitted (or moved to the top, outside of alphabetical order). 

Maybe Josh has gone back to his roots, and renamed Priests as Clerics?

Isn't Transcendant a monk/cipher?, would fit with ascetic being monk/druid which would be a monk that is one with nature, living the simple life. *goes back to try and find that teaser of cipher multiclass names Josh teased*

Hey Andrea! You haven't been updating the OP!

edit: YEP! Transcendant is monk/cipher! https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyXIbQFAXU/?taken-by=jesawyer197

Edited by smjjames

Somebody less lazy should probably just post the image directly.  It's pretty clearly an excerpt from a table of multiclass names, but as far as I can tell, there's a row missing.  Default organization is likely alphabetical, and that fits with the columns (Chanter, Cipher, Druid) and most of the rows (Druid, Fighter, Monk, ???, Ranger, Rogue, Wizard), but the 4th row down (Cantor, Transcendent, Ascetic) is either Paladin or Priest, and the other one appears to be omitted (or moved to the top, outside of alphabetical order). 

Maybe Josh has gone back to his roots, and renamed Priests as Clerics?

Isn't Transcendant a monk/cipher?, would fit with ascetic being monk/druid which would be a monk that is one with nature, living the simple life. *goes back to try and find that teaser of cipher multiclass names Josh teased*

Hey Andrea! You haven't been updating the OP!

edit: YEP! Transcendant is monk/cipher! https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyXIbQFAXU/?taken-by=jesawyer1975

You caught me pre-edit, dammit!

Guesses for the rows:

priest (fits with oracle and theurge)

paladin or fighter...

fighter? could be paladin....

monk (as mentioned previously, transcendant is monk/cipher)

ranger (beastmaster is a giveaway)

rogue (pathfinder and mindstalker could also fit ranger, but are appropriate for rogue as well)

wizard

Edited by smjjames

@Gromnir: That's the difference, you've been around the Obsidian boards for many years, I've been around here barely more than six months, so of course I'm not going to know where Josh Sawyer is from, and I was answering Sannon's question.

By this point, Josh probably knows where Gromnir is from, too. 

I've still never seen Josh Sawyer and Gromnir in the same room together.

agtmbomg.gif

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Damn, again 'tomorrow'. Well I guess the update is gonna be really legen...

It looks to me like the row/col classes are the following ones:

EfLNfM3.png

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Uhm, because everyone can use the power of Pork.

The SaltymastEr on the other hand... is probably reserved for Durance.

Edited by MaxQuest

Personally, I'd have gone with "Theurgist" instead of "Theurge."  I know that's the word that the D&D PrC uses, but I've always seen Theurgist used to describe practicioners of historical Theurgy (the 2 dictionaries I have on hand agree), and it avoids easy "The Urge" jokes. 

And, yes, that 2nd row is probably Paladin, not Fighter as I initially postulated.