Politics 2017 part II

Ben No.3

No one likes Mitch McConnell. That being said, Obama's pick should atleast been given a hearing.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

YES! This is a BIG win for the good guys! :http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/federal-judge-rules-against-federal-election-commission-300401603.html

WASHINGTON, Feb. 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A federal court judge yesterday issued an unprecedented ruling that could open the way in 2020 for the first serious challenge in decades by an independent candidate for president.

In a blistering 28-page decision, Judge Tanya Chutkan told the Federal Election Commission (FEC) that in its rejection of a complaint by Level the Playing Field, a non-profit group trying to open up debates to a third candidate, it had acted in a manner that was "arbitrary, capricious, and contrary to law."

The Judge ordered the FEC to "reconsider the evidence and issue a new decision consistent with this Opinion within 30 days."

Judge Chutkan blasted the FEC for its "refusal to engage in thoughtful, reasoned decision-making in either enforcement or rulemaking in this case."

The complaint, filed in September 2014, focused on rules set by the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) that have blocked independents from the final fall debates for the past quarter-century.

Step 1 to breaking the Democrat/Republican duopoly is to get Libertarian and Green Party candidates on the stage. Gary Johnson was on the ballot in all 50 States in 2016. There is no good reason he should not have been invited. 

Not saying that would have gone well necessarily.... but still

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are you talking about a country that is in EU since 2004 and in euro zone since 2009?

Yes. Ask how well that turned out for them.

Probably as well as other euro zone countries beside Germany - badly.

But that wasn't the point.

well, I am kinda against EU but I could not deny that economy of eastern EU states grows quite fast as opposed of these outside of it...

That is correct but you dont to make posts based on economic data that is true, you would rather just make uninformed and sweeping statements like " the EU hasnt worked out well for any country except for Germany " ...much easier to spread the populist and " down with EU " sentiment  :teehee:

Greece and Spain would like to chat about the "growth" in the EU. And I wasn't talking about EU I was talking abour Euro Zone (Euro currency). But you would need to be informed to know the difference.

But if being informed is a requirement to make comments what are you  doing making posts?

And the PIGS countries are undergoing austerity, this is necessary and to be expected considering how they mismanaged their economies until 2008, you should research this a little so you are clear on what austerity means....and I strongly recommend you dont use Breitbart for this research  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

YES! This is a BIG win for the good guys! :http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/federal-judge-rules-against-federal-election-commission-300401603.html

WASHINGTON, Feb. 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A federal court judge yesterday issued an unprecedented ruling that could open the way in 2020 for the first serious challenge in decades by an independent candidate for president.

In a blistering 28-page decision, Judge Tanya Chutkan told the Federal Election Commission (FEC) that in its rejection of a complaint by Level the Playing Field, a non-profit group trying to open up debates to a third candidate, it had acted in a manner that was "arbitrary, capricious, and contrary to law."

The Judge ordered the FEC to "reconsider the evidence and issue a new decision consistent with this Opinion within 30 days."

Judge Chutkan blasted the FEC for its "refusal to engage in thoughtful, reasoned decision-making in either enforcement or rulemaking in this case."

The complaint, filed in September 2014, focused on rules set by the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) that have blocked independents from the final fall debates for the past quarter-century.

Step 1 to breaking the Democrat/Republican duopoly is to get Libertarian and Green Party candidates on the stage. Gary Johnson was on the ballot in all 50 States in 2016. There is no good reason he should not have been invited. 

This poses an issue... On one I do think stepping out of a two-party system is for the best, and there should be a chance given to more parties than just the Dems and Republicans; but living in Argentina where we've always had multiple parties in the running, we've had to sit through twelve years of Kirchnerism not least because the opposition was divided between several smaller parties, none of which wanted to unite or give up their part for the sake of a "greater good". Trump could very well slip into his re-election by finding himself pitted against several "weaker" candidates instead of a unified opposition against him.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So far Im happy with a good deal of the foreign policy decisions and comments from the Trump presidency

Reaffirming support  for South Korea and Japan around belligerence from North Korea 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politics/us-defense-secretary-mattis-south-korea-trip/index.html

Continued support for NATO

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/live-coverage-james-mattis-defense-secretary-hearings

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/theresa-may-white-house-visit-donald-trump-nato

Real criticism of Putin and Russian  unacceptable interference in Ukraine ( this made me laugh...poor Putin thinking Trump would drop US sanctions on Russia because of Ukraine   :biggrin:  )

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/03/un-envoy-nikki-haley-criticises-russian-aggression-in-ukraine

Correctly rebuked Israel for the increased settlement building 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/trump-to-israel-settlements-may-not-help-achieve-peace-in-middle-east.html

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of which, the following is what the DOD considered key personality features necessary to be judged as reliable enough to handle US nuclear weapons (circa April 2016):

POTUS doesn't have to undergo certification, does he? Which means he can't be decertified...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

This poses an issue... On one I do think stepping out of a two-party system is for the best, and there should be a chance given to more parties than just the Dems and Republicans; but living in Argentina where we've always had multiple parties in the running, we've had to sit through twelve years of Kirchnerism not least because the opposition was divided between several smaller parties, none of which wanted to unite or give up their part for the sake of a "greater good". Trump could very well slip into his re-election by finding himself pitted against several "weaker" candidates instead of a unified opposition against him.

It won't be a free for all. There will still be a standard. I've always thought ballot access should be the standard. If you can get on the ballot in all 50 Sates then every voter can vote for you. You should be in the debate. There are only four political parties in the US with the wherewithal to get a candidate on the ballot everywhere. The Democrats. the Republicans, the Libertarians, and the Green Party.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Libertarian party might leech off some Republicans and Democrats, more former to hazard a guess. Tories here did well by selling their soul to Reform, while left wing was still split.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No one likes Mitch McConnell. That being said, Obama's pick should atleast been given a hearing.

What's the point of a hearing when Republicans would have never voted for him? Republicans would have never given up the control of the Supreme Court willingly any more than Democrats would have if the situation was reversed. And time has proven the wisdom of their original position.

There was a plot to massacre soldiers at a military base which was fortunately discovered. She probably confused it with this other incident.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Yep, but is always good for public officials to have a foot in mouth moment.

2017 - year when trolling became mainstream in RL

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It won't be a free for all. There will still be a standard. I've always thought ballot access should be the standard. If you can get on the ballot in all 50 Sates then every voter can vote for you. You should be in the debate. There are only four political parties in the US with the wherewithal to get a candidate on the ballot everywhere. The Democrats. the Republicans, the Libertarians, and the Green Party.

Indeed, my problem however is that between those four parties, three of them are in danger of feeding from each other's votes and thus creating a weaker opposition against the one left out. Assuming Trump will try to go for a re-election with (most likely) the Republican party, the opposition will be split between three parties each attempting to appeal to the same "half". I speak of this of what I've seen happen in practice in Argentina is all.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Speaking of which, the following is what the DOD considered key personality features necessary to be judged as reliable enough to handle US nuclear weapons (circa April 2016):

POTUS doesn't have to undergo certification, does he? Which means he can't be decertified...

One wishes they gave Trump an outdated biscuit and gave the real things to Pence and Mattis.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Speaking of fake news the NY Times has omitted the book Gosnell by Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer from it's best seller lists even though USA Today as it at #1 non-fiction and Amazon has it at #3. I guess they only rate books they approve of us reading.

Also in the fake news category the UK Daily Mail ran a story that Gorsuch ran a club in his high school called "Facisim Forever". That of course is not true. Not that a story being false has anything to do with running it.

Also apparently protesters at UC Berkley were going to have a demonstration and burn Yannopolis's book because he's a "nazi". It's amazing they are not self-aware enough to see the irony in that!

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Also in the fake news category the UK Daily Mail ran a story that Gorsuch ran a club in his high school called "Facisim Forever". That of course is not true. Not that a story being false has anything to do with running it.

Daily Mail has been leading example of how to write non-factual news since of its inception. 

Also when it comes to NY Times best selling list, I would say that I don't value lists which are base on secret methods, instead of open data, very high.

Edited by Elerond

Some could think that Der Spiegel's editorial board don't like Trump much.

C3wY6dZWYAI5QAd.jpg

When you see everything as Hitler no one will care when one such as him finally takes power.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

C3wY6dZWYAI5QAd.jpg

When you see everything as Hitler no one will care when one such as him finally takes power.

When it comes to Der Spiegel I would not say that is fair statement. But question is from what you known that somebody like Hitler has taken the power? If you look how he rose to power you will have hard time to differentiate him from lot of politicians. He campaigned with German first platform, protectionism,  national security, jobs for Germans, resign from "unfair" international agreements, stopping terrorizing minorities, stopping minorities stealing German jobs, Christian and family values, and so on.

Daily Mail has been leading example of how to write non-factual news since of its inception. 

Also when it comes to NY Times best selling list, I would say that I don't value lists which are base on secret methods, instead of open data, very high.

I'd tend to say that the Daily Fail writes... quasi factually (guess alternative facts is the de rigeur term) rather than using outright lies, most of the time- or they occasionally just make everything up, names and events included. Writing outright lies about real people tends to get them sued, which in a country with libel laws as rigid as the UK's is not a good idea. Quasi factual meaning that if a refugee rescued a cat from a tree the headline would be "Refugee Seizes Good British Moggie from Natural Habitat- Is Commie Corbyn to Blame?". And they are, amazingly, better than The Sun and probably on a par with a couple of other papers, despite being appallingly bad.

They should know fascists pretty well though since at one point they were Hitler and Mussolini's #1 fans. Always ironic, a blatantly nationalist jingoist right wing 'alternatively commie' xenophobic paper accusing others of being fascist.

(They're also approaching the #1 news website worldwide, so their strategy works/ people are really dumb)

Edited by Zoraptor

Doubly ironic considering who they're letting into their country.

Their rhetoric seems to come from this kind views, meaning views that saw Muslims as people who like behead people, so they put Trump beheading The Liberty, in order to put America first. Meaning that it isn't ironic coincidence but purposefully chosen rhetoric in order to use people's preconceptions to drive their message home (not saying that it works necessary well, but that seems to be intention behind their cover picture).

When it comes to Der Spiegel I would not say that is fair statement. But question is from what you known that somebody like Hitler has taken the power? If you look how he rose to power you will have hard time to differentiate him from lot of politicians. He campaigned with German first platform, protectionism,  national security, jobs for Germans, resign from "unfair" international agreements, stopping terrorizing minorities, stopping minorities stealing German jobs, Christian and family values, and so on.

Well, except for the whole Mein Kampf thing, being in prison for an attempted coup, and brown-shirted nazi thugs running riot in the streets.

Doubly ironic considering who they're letting into their country.

Their rhetoric seems to come from this kind views, meaning views that saw Muslims as people who like behead people, so they put Trump beheading The Liberty, in order to put America first. Meaning that it isn't ironic coincidence but purposefully chosen rhetoric in order to use people's preconceptions to drive their message home (not saying that it works necessary well, but that seems to be intention behind their cover picture).

Intentional can still be ironic though.

Trump's travel moratorium approved for legality by DOJ: https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/827304853353484288

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan