RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

http://www.pcgamer.com/solid-snake-and-femshep-voice-actors-cite-reasons-behind-sag-aftra-strike/

Hale and Hayter (oddly enough a David Hayter works at my company...) on the VA strike.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The video on the page started with an ad, which went along the lines of "Defy convention, defy tradition, defy limitations. Heroes defy. Heroes of the Storm." Actually made me laugh out. Anyway, carry on.

Edited by Fenixp

Food for thought:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not DRM, eh?

Cx9sgEJXAAEXABA.jpg

The reason they removed it is so that they could launch the game on GOG.com, which doesn't have any games with DRM on its service.

Actually, I'll let you have this one. Denuvo isn't DRM.

It's worse.

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 5

I don't believe that Denuvo is a DRM, it's a Chinese conspiracy to stifle consumers.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Denuvo is not DRM.

Seems to be effectively one.

Denuvo is not DRM.

Didn't you say something similar about Tagès?

Things like Microsoft dropping support for SafeDisc and SecuROM is one reason that DRM continues to be a problem for ligament users years after the fact. While Denuvo might seem great now there is a real risk that it will cause issues in the future and, ultimately, I hope that games that use it patch it out at some point (I've bought games that use it, I know Doom does and I have that, but I'm still worried about the future and how it might cause issues). That's one reason I also prefer GoG to Steam - if GoG dies I can still install games from my backed-up installers, if Steam goes down there isn't that option.

• Like 3

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

That's one reason I also prefer GoG to Steam - if GoG dies I can still install games from my backed-up installers, if Steam goes down there isn't that option.

No, you actually pirate all of those games. I know this because reasons.

Anyway, at some point I wanted to say that Dishonored 2 has a real chance of becoming a timeless classic like its predecessor, but the words somewhat soured on my tongue when I realized that this point in time might be the only one where it actually works properly and there's nothing anybody outside of Bethesda can do about this. (altho, apparently, Doom 2016 had already been cracked, so there's hope yet I suppose)

piracy actually is yet another reason to support GOG. when GOG goes down, I know that its installers will be on the Web for decades to come thanks to "pirates"

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

According to the group that cracked it it's not constant encrypt/ decrypt, just one time encrypt based on hardware keys and then (constant) decrypt which is why hardware changes will lock you out until you reverify.

Of course, that it can lock you out until you reverify definitively makes it DRM rather than 'anti tamper' since that behaviour is the same as any other activation based system.

What's so hard to understand about this? Denuvo is anti-tamper, meaning it checks the integrity of the files. Nothing else. You could theoretically install a Denuvo application on thousands of different computers at once because Denuvo don't give a ****.

Steam is DRM, Securom is DRM, all those other digital rights management programs are (duh) DRM. These are the systems that are stopping you from installing your games on thousands of computers at once. These are the systems that will give you problems in the future.

Denuvo is protecting your files. DRM is protecting the publishers rights.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What's so hard to understand about this? Denuvo is anti-tamper, meaning it checks the integrity of the files. Nothing else. You could theoretically install a Denuvo application on thousands of different computers at once because Denuvo don't give a ****.

It connects to Denuvo's servers, sends your current hardware hash and ties the game's copy to it for either an arbitrary period of time or until hardware changes, whichever comes first. This fact got mentioned multiple times throughout this very thread, that's what's so hard to understand about it not being DRM. When it connects to the internet to authenticate copy of the game, it most certainly is DRM.

Additionally, the entire reason for Denuvo to exist is to protect other DRM schemes from getting circumvented. It's literally an online activation that exists to protect other online activations. You're right that Denuvo will work with whatever developers decide to implement alongside with it, but when a system works as an integral part of DRM and serves no other purpose, I'm going to call it what it actually is as opposed to buying into Denuvo's PR bull****.

I also don't think I really need to mention how exactly is it bad that many games now need two independent online services running at all times to function. It's all good tho, thus far all major releases containing Denovo got cracked.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3

The problem is not that developers want to curtail pirates, that's resonable - the problem is when pirates circumvent them easily and we customers get saddled with more and more bloatware on our games that can completly stop them from working.

The idea of punishing those who are actually paying for your product seems - well idiotic to be honest.

Steam or Netflix are good examples of a anti-pirate measures where they actually thought of offering a service to compensate for the DRM - what does Securom or Denovo add to the product except a potential problem for the paying consumer? 

I can live with DRM just fine if it actually enhances my product.

• Like 6

Fortune favors the bald.

Denuvo protects the DRM routines so they cant be circumvented. 'Anti tamper' sure, whatever. Same difference really. It's there to make the DRM work and prevent cracks. 

Past years I would had cried mayhem about it but now I can finally refund games I don't like.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

As for developers claiming Denuvo doesn't impact performance... well, that's what Blizzard said about Diablo 3 always being online and the rubberbanding issues I still have on it say otherwise. Developers and publishers will never admit their DRM software impacts performance, it would only add to the argument that paying customers get the short-end of the stick. Historically everything publishers and developers have said about DRM has been a lie, or at least suspect. Seems like a weird source to consider "trusted". :shrugz:

• Like 4

The whole thing with performance is very dependent on implementation. If Denuvo is implemented well, only parts of the executable which aren't critical to performance will get encrypted - say engine initiation. It'll prolong initial loading times somewhat, but not that much and it's not big of a deal. But if developer encrypted, say, AI calculations, execution of the game would get slowed down drastically. So as usual there's no easy answer - Denuvo may negatively impact performance, but it probably doesn't.