The US Election 2016, Part VII

Pidesco

(Anyhow, what kind of idiot wants a President who talks like everyday peopletheir drunk uncle at Thanksgiving?)

Try a five year old that somehow managed to have Alzheimer's, exhibit A:

“I would like everybody to end it, just get rid of it... But I would certainly not do first strike. I think that once the nuclear alternative happens, it’s over. At the same time, we have to be prepared. I can’t take anything off the table.”
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hillary sounded like the media experts and the journalists while Trump talked like everyday people, so no wonder the media and the polls were so at large with each other.

No polls worthy of the name have been conducted since the debate.  And the various swing-voter focus groups are all lining up for Hills on this one.  Nobody who is already in the tank for one of the two candidates is going to change their minds based on this, sure.  But Trump's efforts here probably did more to alienate than appeal to the undecideds whose votes he's going to need.  

(Anyhow, what kind of idiot wants a President who talks like everyday peopletheir drunk uncle at Thanksgiving?) 

Polls are **** for most of the time yes, but the there was simply too many of them for not to spot a trend of discrepancy between polling and expert judgement. Focus groups i will not even comment on as they are the cancer of Hollywood and Video Game industry to begin with.

Btw, do you live in a gated community? Do you find yourself mostly agreeing with your circle of acquaintenancies?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Man, do I wish people would leave off with the Alzheimer's (and Parkinson's for that matter) talk. Trump doesn't sound like someone who has Alzheimer's, early or not.

What he does sound like is a fairly typical person who never/ seldom does formal debates and basically speaks as a stream of consciousness. It's certainly 'unusual', but only because the vast majority of people who are doing politics at this level are, well, career politicians who have a certain style that has evolved to appear smooth/ rehearsed and is designed to offend the fewest people possible. That's why 'experts' always tend to underrate how well Trump actually does- they tend to rate things against the typical politician which is not necessarily what the average voter is looking for.

It's the same thing that got GWBush elected over Gore. One might say that Bush voters were morans (if one were a monumental dong at least, and not just for using 'one' unironically) but so what, their vote is worth every bit as much as anyone else's. And for all that 'experts' tended to make fun of Bush's folksiness it worked, and criticising it was hugely counter productive.

During elections it's always amusing to hear what classes as elitism. You would want your leaders to be elite, not like your meshback prole buddies I would hope.

Was part of Ford's appeal here, lots of Torontonians are dimwits who saw anecdotes as facts, heh. Well that and it was a good old WASP or a gay guy or a Chinese lady.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

“I would like everybody to end it, just get rid of it... But I would certainly not do first strike. I think that once the nuclear alternative happens, it’s over. At the same time, we have to be prepared. I can’t take anything off the table.”

Yeah, that bit was entertaining.  Holt's question was "On nuclear weapons, President Obama reportedly considered changing the nation's longstanding policy on first use. Do you support the current policy?"  Now, that's something of a "gotcha," as it was evident that Trump hadn't the first clue as to what the current policy is and why the Administration is considering changing it.  But I think it's reasonable to inquire as to how seriously a candidate has studied and considered these issues-- particularly when that candidate is a reality TV host with no policy, diplomatic, or military experience. 

My favorite Trump word-vomit was his treatment of "the cyber."

So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is -- it is a huge problem. I have a son. He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. And maybe it's hardly doable.
Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

"I can't take anything off the table" is still a better policy than Obola's "they have nothing to fear from us".

Edit: Alicia Machado's Wikipedia page just got scrubbed: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Alicia_Machado&oldid=741517763

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"I can't take anything off the table" is still a better policy than Obola's "they have nothing to fear from us".

The Roosevelt quote applies here. One is measured attitude and the other is some hardman bombast.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I can't take anything off the table" doesn't make sense on the question of first use, anyway.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Means first use is possible, which is the current US policy.

Edit: The narrative just keeps failing, but some never learn: https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/28/narrative-flip-keith-scott-had-illegal-gun-threatened-family-with-it/

http://observer.com/2016/09/denying-americas-islamist-terror-problem-doesnt-make-it-go-away-it-makes-it-worse/

Welcome to the USSR!

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Edit: The narrative just keeps failing, but some never learn: https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/28/narrative-flip-keith-scott-had-illegal-gun-threatened-family-with-it/

http://observer.com/2016/09/denying-americas-islamist-terror-problem-doesnt-make-it-go-away-it-makes-it-worse/

Welcome to the USSR!

:lol: WOD you love your drama don't you

I don't see how either of these stories is linked to the USA becoming like the USSR?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Welcome to the USSR!

:lol: WOD you love your drama don't you

I don't see how either of these stories is linked to the USA becoming like the USSR?

The way the government and the palace guard media pushes the narrative regardless of reality is exactly how propaganda worked in the USSR.

SHADY you never complain about much but this perspective from Obama really seems to have annoyed you?

This would only apply to  people who are committed to the Obama legacy, so if I was  a US citizen then it would be relevant to me. But its not relevant to every Democrat and some people will vote for Johnson and Stein 

Obama is just highlighting a Trump victory will freeze and or undermine his legacy for the next 4 years, so it does matter?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Obama has done enough on his own to undermine his legacy. racism, bending over and kissing the butt of Ameirkan enemies like Iran, being a coward, hatefulness, and fearmongering are his legacies. Good job, Obama. Every police shooting, every riot, every black mother shot by a BLM supporter is 90% on Obama and his policies.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Obama has done enough on his own to undermine his legacy. racism, bending over and kissing the butt of Ameirkan enemies like Iran, being a coward, hatefulness, and fearmongering are his legacies. Good job, Obama. Every police shooting, every riot, every black mother shot by a BLM supporter is 90% on Obama and his policies.

And GD thinks you have deep insights on the reality of the US political system?

John Milton 

He's going about it poorly

From hope and change to doom and gloom

But its a serious election considering how Trump has vilified and criticized Obama and dismissed any good he has done ?

John Milton 

Fear is a powerful motivator but I won't be scared or shamed into voting for a candidate that I do not support. I dislike if you aren't with us then you are against us arguments. People may disagree but it's my vote so... :shrugz:

I do not support Trump either, the only good thing about him being elected will be all the butthurt and while that may be fun for a few days or months I doubt it would be worth it while we are eating old shoe soup with a side of people in a post apocalyptic wasteland

In other news, the Senate is getting ready to override Obama's veto on the 9/11 bill

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Fear is a powerful motivator but I won't be scared or shamed into voting for a candidate that I do not support. I dislike if you aren't with us then you are against us arguments. People may disagree but it's my vote so... :shrugz:

I do not support Trump either, the only good thing about him being elected will be all the butthurt and while that may be fun for a few days or months I doubt it would be worth it while we are eating old shoe soup with a side of people in a post apocalyptic wasteland

In other news, the Senate is getting ready to override Obama's veto on the 9/11 bill

Who are the families going to sue, I dont understand the objective? We know there was funding from Saudi Arabia but this was not official and was from  Saudis who support Islamic extremism ...but its not from the Saudi government ? See below from the article 

" The Saudi government denies any role in those attacks, and the 9/11 Commission found no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials were involved. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, though. And there have long been suspicions that some of the hijackers received support during their time in the U.S. from individuals with possible connections to the Saudi Kingdom " 

John Milton