The US Election 2016, Part VII

Pidesco

I don't get how it is nuanced to say it is bad to start letting private citizen sue countries.  That seems like a terrible precedent to allow. 

So far as I understand it you can already sue countries- sovereign immunity has to be asserted to stop the process. That's why Iran (!) 'has' to pay 10.5 billion for the 9/11 (!!) attacks despite having nothing to do with them. They needed to turn up and assert sovereign immunity to stop the process but didn't.

• Like 1

Wait, is that from an example image from a college course on false equivalence?

Or are modern millionaire elites participating in some sort of violent riots that I don't know about?

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

These sorts of riots existed before BLM and will actually continue to exist for a long time.

Heja Sverige!!

You know what is behind the riots? Racism. Pure and simple. I mean it doesn't even matter if it is a whitre cop shooting a suspect or a black cop shooting a suspect. BLM will march while chanting "DEATH TO WHITEY!". They assault white people ands will shoot black mothers  and no BLM supporter cares. Of coruse, the organizers are stupid since they'll also destroy  black owned businesses and destroy black neighbourhoods. The logic doesn't make sense.

Just like that one guy who was hugging  the cops/army dudes who got heckeled by other protestors because... ewww... he hugged white people. That's gross.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't remember them happening this often before. 70% of rioters arrested in Charlotte were non-local btw.

Well thankfully the internet exists and you can check to see how often they happen.  The 60's and 70's were pretty crazy, this stuff pales in comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_racial_violence_in_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't remember them happening this often before. 70% of rioters arrested in Charlotte were non-local btw.

Well thankfully the internet exists and you can check to see how often they happen.  The 60's and 70's were pretty crazy, this stuff pales in comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_racial_violence_in_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

I wasn't here in the sixties and I wasn't comparing to the sixties either, obviously that was an extraordinary time. That was more than 50 years ago and you might as well compare to the Civil War. I don't remember anything like now in the late 70's, looks like Wikipedia is listing just about every episode, not wide scale rioting like we've seen lately.

Was his pseudonym Carlos Danger by any chance?

Edit: The pseudonym suggests he knew Hilzilla was using an unsecure system: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/365990.php

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I wasn't here in the sixties and I wasn't comparing to the sixties either, obviously that was an extraordinary time. That was more than 50 years ago and you might as well compare to the Civil War. I don't remember anything like now in the late 70's, looks like Wikipedia is listing just about every episode, not wide scale rioting like we've seen lately.

Well, I guess if you toss out the 60's and early 70's, then you have a point.  But I don't know why we would do that, since they are a pretty solid blueprint to follow as to how this whole thing is going to develop over the next decade.   

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/11/are-we-living-1968-all-over-again/

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0503-burrough-violent-revolution-20150503-story.html

• Like 1

Well, I guess if you toss out the 60's and early 70's, then you have a point.  But I don't know why we would do that, since they are a pretty solid blueprint to follow as to how this whole thing is going to develop over the next decade.   

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/11/are-we-living-1968-all-over-again/

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0503-burrough-violent-revolution-20150503-story.html

The tone of your reply was implying that I didn't know what I was talking about. My point was things are getting worse, not that they're historically unprecedented. Now you seem to be agreeing with me that things are indeed getting worse.  

Is it common to grant immunity as seemingly often as it has been with this stuff? And also for nothing to come of it?

Normally immunity is granted to get people to testify in court. In this case it seems they never had the intention of building a case, so why give immunity to those most involved? - unless it's precisely to keep them from talking. Edit: They gave immunity to Cheryl Mills, yet Cheryl Mills was present when they questioned Hilzilla, how's that for a hostile witness? Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Only interesting if the pseudonym turns out to be something good like Sexbot420.

Or if he knew that the correspondence was conducted on an insecure channel.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It also depends on what the pseudonym was. "ThanksObama2008" wouldn't indicate that he didn't know, for example.

Edit:

Interesting survey:

Among the survey findings, respondents said if Trump is elected president there would be a:

46 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear device against ISIS or another foreign enemy;

54 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;

65 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;

54 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;

53 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;

44 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and

65 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.

Trump supporters shared many of those same concerns, with his supporters predicting a:

22 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear weapon;

33 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;

32 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;

48 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;

29 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;

32 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and

36 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.

c4jt321.png

Heja Sverige!!

Is it common to grant immunity as seemingly often as it has been with this stuff? And also for nothing to come of it?

wod, as usual, don't know what he is talking 'bout.  it is indeed scary to discover just how many potential criminals get deals.  *chuckle* we knew a smuggler who got a deal from feds to functional educate 'em 'bout current smuggling routes n' such.  was almost like a paid consultant... well, actual it were a paid consultant too, but he also avoided personal prosecution.  a few years after his deal went into effect, the guy got busted, predictably, for smuggling.  got transactional immunity, but that didn't prevent him from being prosecuted for future crimes, and he just couldn't keep his hands outta the cookie jar.  were embarrassing for everybody involved.

tv police procedurals is a bit misleading.  in our experience, a considerable amount o' police work is getting one crook to snitch on others, and not necessarily in court. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Only interesting if the pseudonym turns out to be something good like Sexbot420.

Or if he knew that the correspondence was conducted on an insecure channel.

And by inference that he lied about when he knew of Hillary's server. Which he was 'allowed' to do since it was only to the press and the public rather than under oath, but much like just everything in this email saga at the very best it's not a good look.

Huma Abedin was also using her Yahoo account to print Hillary's emails for convenience. OK, so some of the incompetence there is Yahoo's for being hacked and apparently not knowing it for literally years, but if you're taking 'secure' emails and printing them off on your personal email it actually wouldn't have mattered if Hillary were using a secure server. Along with things like the Democratic Party emailing new passwords on a system they knew was compromised the overwhelming impression is of utter incompetence or complete naivete.

wod, as usual, don't know what he is talking 'bout.  it is indeed scary to discover just how many potential criminals get deals.  *chuckle* we knew a smuggler who got a deal from feds to functional educate 'em 'bout current smuggling routes n' such.  was almost like a paid consultant... well, actual it were a paid consultant too, but he also avoided personal prosecution.  a few years after his deal went into effect, the guy got busted, predictably, for smuggling.  got transactional immunity, but that didn't prevent him from being prosecuted for future crimes, and he just couldn't keep his hands outta the cookie jar.  were embarrassing for everybody involved.

tv police procedurals is a bit misleading.  in our experience, a considerable amount o' police work is getting one crook to snitch on others, and not necessarily in court. 

HA! Good Fun!

So do you believe they agreed to snitch on Hilzilla and then didn't snitch? Or did the government just need an education on how to avoid all security protocols?

HA! Good Fun!

So do you believe they agreed to snitch on Hilzilla and then didn't snitch? Or did the government just need an education on how to avoid all security protocols?

false dichotomy.  to get folks to aid investigations, the government makes all kinda deals.  more than a few such deals look ridiculous in retrospect. however, making such deals is not uncommon.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)