The US Election 2016, Part VII

Pidesco

Never said, BruceVC. Prefer to shoot at all you people from the shadows. Suffice it to say, however, that I have never lied to you about either my beliefs or my person, although that's probably better for others to judge. However, assuming that I'm somewhere safe in the Realm, I can still observe things quite well most places in the world. Hell, I don't even get cable, satellite or antenna TV. Everything thing that I see comes from the interwebs, assuming it's not print, which is probably about half.

As to the native American discussion, all of those statistics are bad, but the question is what to do. Anyone can look at a tragic situation and ask what more can be done and who should do it. It's much harder to be the one who looks at a situation and says "this must be done and I know how to do it." I'm not poking you in the eye, BruceVC. I'm pointing out the fact that, while I would give something of myself to help people in these places, I probably won't. Sure, people can castigate me for telling the truth, but it is true. I give to charity. I volunteer for charitable organizations. I've even been awarded for charitable work I've done. This isn't to say that I'm great. No one here knows me anyway, so who would care? The point is that we're limited in what we do. Now that I know the difficulties of life in these places, I could put them on a list to send money. I can't travel to them easily to volunteer. I could perhaps send goods as I get htem. We could all do with less in order to provide for someone else, but people in that situation need something that transcends my money or my time or my care, all of which I'm willing to give. They need a different situation, and railing against the system doesn't do any good. There must be some sustainable way to provide avenues to success and hope the people take them. Once again, I'm not suggesting that we blame the people. This is a practical matter. What can we do?

You make some good points in this post  in a reasonable way, I dont always agree with your posts which is normal for any forum but I do appreciate the way you put effort into your views

I noticed you never actually said " I live in country x " yet you have global views so I was wondering . When you first started posting I didnt think you would stay here long. I mentioned this to you, I wasn't being condescending just honest. I find it a little concerning we dont keep new members but end of the day if no one esle cares then I wont push it

Also our first interaction wasn't very indelible in the sense you made one of those Internet platitude comments which never really impress me because I feel even if its Internet we can still debate normally. I made an incorrect assumption about you but after the debate around Iraq I realised you were much more knowledgeable  than I thought and there was more to you than  the impression  I thought

I am glad I was wrong because you are very interesting and its great you have stayed active  :thumbsup:

How do you find these forums ? How do you think the members are and have people made you feel welcome. Now you probably an old Internet hand so you dont see a forum like this but I would be interested in  your opinion if you will share 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Always easy to find a still picture of someone that puts him in a bad light. The problem is, that's essentially how she looked the whole time she was speaking. It wasn't a gotcha picture. It was a reasonable still to take.

No :)

She is trying to create a tough impression in the video but its suppose to be cliched and an imitation  of Trump 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

from a post during the recent israel-gaza troubles

"...child mortality rates is worse at Pine Ridge than in Gaza. didn’t have much choice ‘bout moving during year 1, eh? regardless the moving and US citizenship is clear bunk too. let’s look at stats, shall we? Average lifespan of male in Gaza is +70.5 years. male life span in Pine Ridge is 48 for males. unemployment in Pine Ridge is 80%, which is worse than Gaza. alcoholism is understandably worse at Pine Ridge given Muslim prohibitions regarding such intoxicants, but the suicide rate at pine ridge has, from time-to-time been higher than in any other place on earth. population growth in Gaza is 3.5%... which is darn good considering they is ‘posed victims o’ genocide. 4% is the 10 year population growth for Pine Ridge. literacy rates is better at Pine Ridge, but only by a fraction. thanks to Arabs caring disproportionately less about the education of their women folk, Pine Ridge beat Gaza by .5% in the literacy category. Huzzah.  homes with electricity, telephone and running water is more likely in Gaza, or at least they were in June before hamas started throwing rockets at Israel."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/02/20/aaron_huey_photographs_the_pine_ridge_reservation_in_south_dakota_in_his.html

http://www.redcloudschool.org/reservation

http://www.4aihf.org/id40.html

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2010/jan/11/native-americans-reservations-poverty-obama

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/north_america-july-dec11-blackhills_08-23/

no matter how many times we link, people seem surprised.

by almost every metric, the standard of living in gaza is better (significantly) than at pine ridge.  people being shocked that violence is also a significant problem in such a place is curious to us.

Okay I will admit I was very surprised by this, this part shocked me the most ....why is more not done to resolve these hardships? Who is responsible to transform the overall quality of lifes?

as noted in an earlier thread regarding US failure to address mental health issues o' many citizens, personal responsibility is a kinda fundamental value here in the US of A.  am actual in favor o' US pov on personal responsibility, but there is entire portions o' our population who is having little success improving their lives and the lives o' their children.  for example, is far too many children and mental ill folks who is homeless.  such folks is incapable o' fixing their problems. native peoples has fallen into a similar seeming doomed situation.

reservations are a legal fiction-- domestic dependent nations.  the US has frequent ignored native sovereignty such as when building railroads or discovering gold or whatnot. converse, the US uses such sovereignty as an excuse to not aid native peoples. the bia is a curious american institution that were originally part o' the department of war.  weren't til 1950s that bia becomes part of department of health and human resources. regardless, the native peoples who has been lucky enough to be granted recognition and/or lands has been given little help in developing the necessary basic infrastructure to develop their own economies.  placed on land nobody else wants 'cause is largely worthless, and then left to own devices save most minimal welfare aid, native peoples has struggled to create working economies. surprise?

the biggest obstacle for native peoples has been philosophical.  the US has been in favor o' assimilation-- native peoples will most benefit by integrating into existing American culture.  improve conditions on reservations is, from the pov o' folks in washington dc, an obstacle to assimilation.  why integrate if the situation on a reservation is comfortable? on the other hand, native peoples has tended to resist assimilation. is actual a few tribes that has better college graduation than white populations in the same state. unfortunately, those graduates with their sociology or indian studies degrees come back after graduation to the reservation where there is no businesses or jobs for folks with a ba in wastedyourtimeforfouryears.

'course the more fundamental issue is that folks don't care.  no, that ain't fair. people do care.  the average American sees images and statistics regarding reservation life and they is as surprised and saddened as is bruce. unfortunately, the problems is enormous and as heart wrenching as the situation is, the plight o' american indigenous peoples don't affect most Americans personal.  typical, positive government changes in this country happen at the local level.  our fed is actual far more limited than most people understand.  unfortunately, given how treaty relations and the dependent domestic nation nonsense works, any kinda positive change for native peoples need come from the National government. is a mess.

as for native peoples as a whole, Pine Ridge represents some o' the worst conditions, but it is also one o' the largest reservations so is also one o' the more glaring examples o' US-Indian relations. save for a small number o' tribes, native peoples tend to fare worse than any other ethnic group insofar as standard o' living measures is concerned. 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Riots are due to drugs. Well guess that makes sense if you don't want to think deeper on it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:x

It's sad what people are willing to do for $$$

Come on dude its actually a very good contribution that these actors have done 

I enjoyed it and its mostly true but lets not make it out that Trump can destroy the USA.. But they not getting paid for this as its a political advert

But I'll be honest  sharp_one I find it strange you have an issue with people who want to earn money?  You do strike me as someone who will do basically anything if the money is there

Hopefully we get to see that actor naked hey Sharp    :wub:

John Milton 

I doubt they were paid anything to do that commercial.  But if you care what a bunch of actors think about politics, you are a moran.  That being said, the commercial poked fun at itself a bit, so that was nice.   :p    

Yes it was well done, lets be fair now. I doubt anyone particularly cares what the actual celebs think

I would prefer a celeb I thought  was hot like Nicki Minaj telling me  who  to vote  for but I still wouldn't EVER vote Trump

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

They are not all Disney owned actors, whatever that means these days, and it's typical for Hollywood actors to lean Democrat. I'm certain it doesn't take anything to get them to speak against Trump.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

other than acting or movie making advice, the only thing am gonna listen to robert downey jr. 'bout is how to get the most bang-for-buck from the prison commissary... and perhaps he might have useful tips 'bout what to do when one wakes up naked in a neighbor's home.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Come on dude its actually a very good contribution that these actors have done

I enjoyed it and its mostly true but lets not make it out that Trump can destroy the USA.. But they not getting paid for this as its a political advert

But I'll be honest sharp_one I find it strange you have an issue with people who want to earn money? You do strike me as someone who will do basically anything if the money is there

Hopefully we get to see that actor naked hey Sharp :wub:

They are all Marvel owned actors and were required to do this by a company.

I don't know where your impression of me came from, but I suspect it's just a projection. I respect ambitious, hard working people if they want to earn money. I don't respect people who are selling themselves for money. Prostitution in any form is not respectable.

My bad, I was under the impression you worked to make money as a real objective 

John Milton 

No.  These kind of statements make it very clear you do not understand how things work in the US.  Which is fine, I couldn't tell you anything about how things work in Poland.  

Vote for Trump: No more fat chicks!

Vote for Clinton: Amy Schumer will become a perfect 10

These are our presidential issues of today.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No.  These kind of statements make it very clear you do not understand how things work in the US.  Which is fine, I couldn't tell you anything about how things work in Poland.  

Also, FWIW, Ike Perlmutter the CEO of Marvel is a big Trump supporter.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Like Perlmutter wasn't unlikable enough.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's a legitimate criticism of Trump to say he is shallow about looks.  The guy is a reality TV star, has made a name in beauty pageants, and has married a string of models.  I mean, you are drinking the punch if you don't think that is a sign of a shallow person, plus he's got loads of interviews that make it quite clear.

The question isn't really whether he's shallow, it's whether his shallowness is worse that whatever Clinton is bringing to the table.  Just be honest with yourself when you vote for the guy, though.  Don't try to put lipstick on a pig.

As opposed to being 'likeable' if you are pro Hillary the candidate who brags about laughing at rapists, mass murdering people, and someone who views blacks as nothing more than votes but has no plans to help them.

P.S. Everyone is shallow. Men and women are shallow. PERIOD.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. Everyone is shallow. Men and women are shallow. PERIOD.

Sure, we all possess negative traits, and they all surface at various points.  But what are the dominant traits for these candidates?

Clinton seems to be dominated by greed and a need to be in control.  Trump seems to be dominated by ego and condescension.

• Like 1