2016 Olympics

Guard Dog

Serbia won gold in Water polo, along with every other gold medal for the last 2 years.

OSVOJILI SMO SVE!!!!

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Bah, damn Brazil. German team did well with no stars at all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The US averaged ~101 total medals and 36 golds in the 7 post-boycott Olympics.  So 2016 is roughly on track to match that.   

The US Team has done well with some great individual performances and a couple of disappointments from upsets. Which is how every Olympics plays out.  :biggrin:

Edit:  FWIW, the over/under was 42.5 golds and 103.5 total.  

one day left and vegas weeps... and our east german judge no doubt.

we do feel a bit sad for the numerous competitors that were likely precluded from participating in spite o' having never been part o' the ubiquitous and state-sponsored russian doping scheme. given the extent o' the cheating, russians were gonna get little benefit o' doubt. perhaps the blanket condemnation were deserved. dunno. few whistle-blowers came forward to expose russian cheats. and heck, one whistle-blower were nevertheless prevented from competing, which will no doubt discourage future athletes from calling attention to state-sponsored doping.  regardless, given how meaningful is the olympics in many sports, we nevertheless feel compassion for those innocent russians denied the world's largest and brightest stage.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1471672806-988244f343fb09296f0c3d27645d2

meh.ro11566.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

we do feel a bit sad for the numerous competitors that were likely precluded from participating in spite o' having never been part o' the ubiquitous and state-sponsored russian doping scheme. given the extent o' the cheating, russians were gonna get little benefit o' doubt. perhaps the blanket condemnation were deserved. dunno. few whistle-blowers came forward to expose russian cheats. and heck, one whistle-blower were nevertheless prevented from competing, which will no doubt discourage future athletes from calling attention to state-sponsored doping.  regardless, given how meaningful is the olympics in many sports, we nevertheless feel compassion for those innocent russians denied the world's largest and brightest stage.

HA! Good Fun!

Yep, hit the overs in both cases.

I agree that Stepanova was treated badly.  The IOC's handling of her situation was ridiculous - especially since the IAAF had cleared her for competition and recommended to the IOC that she be allowed to compete.   Given that she had torn a heel ligament in July, it was unlikely she would have been 100% but it would have been a nice gesture.

Well done USA for winning the most medals but the UK also did exceptionally well

Compared to the last couple of Olympics how did Russia do now that they couldn't just dope ?I wonder if they did as well?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That assumes every one banned was doping. But they are down 20 or so from the previous two games.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

'Well done USA for winning the most medals but the UK also did exceptionally well"

brexit looks well on them.

Hillarious after all that whining and  attempts to destroy, mock, beat up Britain by rest of Europe... they gladly count Britain  as one of their own when it comes to Lympic glory. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Russia in 4th place like last Olympics.

IOC Maffia need to try harder.

kinda depends on how you count.  82 medals in the last olympics were good enough for third mostest. 2016 medal total for russia were 56.  russian 2016 gold total also decreased from 2012 mark by 1/5... smidgen more.  

am thinking the east german judge is having more number troubles.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They didn't play their own game, the US set the tempo and our guys followed it. When they played like a team it worked, but sadly we didn't see much of it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Classic.

CqZmGocW8AAn3-d.jpg

I suppose Uzbekistan finally got their revenge 800 years later. #TooSoon?

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

When Rio started, I pondered to myself - "Why can't I remember the London Games?"

After watching NBC's coverage of Rio I have my answer - NBC doesn't actually show any competitions, they only show what the USA did and *maybe* one or two other competitors.  Because they're all about telling the "athlete's story" and not actually showing athletic competition, apparently.

~40 minutes dedicated to Lochte on Saturday saying he "over exaggerated" instead of lied and less than 5 minutes of the Women's high jump (and not even the gold medel winning jump, at that, much less the silver or bronze).  Maybe its just me but I'd rather have had a sport - any sport, even water polo - given that time than spending one iota of time on anything Lochte had to say.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, NBC's coverage was apparently absolutely atrocious. I wouldn't know, personally, since I never actually watched anything on TV - why sit around and listen to their idiot talking heads ramble for hours on end for so little action? I can just barely stomach them while watching football games - I surely cannot for the Olympics, which I care significantly less about, and which has even less meaningful action than the often-derided slow pace of football. So I just watched copyright-infringing clips that were posted on reddit instead. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

to be fair, the women's high jump were a train wreck.  four women made 1.97.  then all four failed to make 2.0.  really? you got each woman making 3 attempts at 2.0 and failing.  twelve attempts. nobody expected that gold would be won at 1.97.  gold, silver and bronze were all the result o' a 1.97 jump.  folks in booth musta been shocked.  

HA! Good Fun!

to be fair, the women's high jump were a train wreck.  four women made 1.97.  then all four failed to make 2.0.  really? you got each woman making 3 attempts at 2.0 and failing.  twelve attempts. nobody expected that gold would be won at 1.97.  gold, silver and bronze were all the result o' a 1.97 jump.  folks in booth musta been shocked.  

HA! Good Fun!

1.97 was a shocking height (Vlašić, Lowe and Betia have all done better; I think Demireva matched a personal best) but I'd still have taken that over any time spent on Lochte explaining how he "over exaggerated".

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Track and Field coverage through the NBC streaming app is miles better. Different announcing crew, no interruptions, brief bios on most -- if not all the competitors, and best of all, it's live or on demand. There are also separate dedicated feeds of all the field events.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle