2016 Olympics

Guard Dog

https://twitter.com/AP/status/765667569583984641

"BREAKING: IOC strips Russia of gold in women's 4x100 relay from 2008 Olympics after Chermoshanskaya tests positive." (Apparently, old results from a drug test, new methods to test them.)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So the running argument, sexism to put a man first, or capitalism to headline the household name for the recognition factor?

13906800_1374212842592245_52833992766452

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So the running argument, sexism to put a man first, or capitalism to headline the household name for the recognition factor?

13906800_1374212842592245_52833992766452

I'm not a Phelps fan and despite her family being owners of the New York Islanders, I like Ledecky.

That said, Phelps is the undisputed biggest name in swimming, if not the Olympics. He is the bigger story and generates a lot more interest and eyeballs.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If Ledecky is as great next Olympics as she is now, then we can probably expect her to be more of a name that's known, particularly with Phelps gone. Until then...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've only watched a few boxing matches this Olympics, but just in those few I've seen a couple obviously bad decisions, one of which was so outrageously and blatantly crooked that it boggles the mind.  I shouldn't be surprised, though.  Crooked judging in boxing, Olympic or otherwise, is to be expected.  It's a tradition!

In other news, Japan's utter dominance of women's wrestling continues.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why isn't karate olympic sport when taekwondo and judo are?

'cause the ioc decided it would be a waste o' time to have karate competitions when all medals would be won by chuck norris.  chuck is so tough that he would win every medal in every weight class.  he would fight multiple opponents at once... perhaps all o' them at once, and just to make it a challenge, mr. norris would fight blindfolded and with a rabid ferret in his karategi. 

an extra copper medal would need be introduced just to reward mr. norris appropriately... or maybe platinum, or painite. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

its not the typical "that guy" however.  that guy, in this instance, wouldn't shake hands 'cause his opponent were a jew.  bad sportsmanship at the olympics can (and has) resulted in lifetime bans, but this kinda nonsense is a bit different, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

its not the typical "that guy" however. that guy, in this instance, wouldn't shake hands 'cause his opponent were a jew. bad sportsmanship at the olympics can (and has) resulted in lifetime bans, but this kinda nonsense is a bit different, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

Surprised he competed. Trying to shake hands was a bit much I guess

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Outside swimming/gymnastics, pretty terrible Olympics for Team USA.

Huh?

Currentl Medal Count:

USA - 94

Great Britain - 55

China - 55

Russia - 42

Japan - 34

If you remove the USA's medals from swimming and gymnastics, the US would still have 49 medals.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"If you remove the USA's medals from swimming and gymnastics, the US would still have 49 medals."

not a lot of golds though

just seems weird USA failing at sports where a gold used to be guaranteed

not even basketball is 100% assured at least for the men

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.