2016 Olympics

Guard Dog

Rugby Sevens is awesome! More so with chicks!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Women's Rugby Sevens, where have you been all my life?

for most of Gromnir's life, women's sevens rugby leagues in the US has been, we kid you not, touch, not tackle. is sorta like women's lacrosse differing from the men's sport. any number o' colleges and universities gots women rugby as club sports, and they is typical sevens if only 'cause they don't have the numbers to field union.  at Cal we had a women's team.  were touch at least at one point. "chicks dig scars," were understandable less o' a selling point when attempting to recruit women to a rugby team.  although, in the bay area...

truth-to-tell, sandlot touch rugby is a good workout and kinda fun. with few people, is no scrums... or even kicking.  not need more than eight people to field two sides.  as much as we like football (real American football) we enjoy touch rugby more than touch football.  am getting too old and brittle for tackle sports.  gotta be dull to watch touch sports though... almost as bad as women's lacrosse.

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind that even men's rugby in the US is only a club sport at the collegiate level.  no scholarships or such.   any decent female athlete is gonna choose something else.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What's the deal with Lacrosse in the US? Is it even an olympic sport?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

lacrosse is big on the east coast and getting increasing popular nationwide.  is, ironic, a rich white kid sport in the US.  eastern universities field exceptional lacrosse teams and the national championships get considerable tv coverage from espn. 

has not been an olympic sport for something near 100 years.

HA! Good Fun!

ps jim brown were arguable the greatest college lacrosse player who just kinda happened to play football. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

lacrosse is big on the east coast and getting increasing popular nationwide.  is, ironic, a rich white kid sport in the US.  eastern universities field exceptional lacrosse teams and the national championships get considerable tv coverage from espn. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps jim brown were arguable the greatest college lacrosse player who just kinda happened to play football. 

Huh, the more you know. I have only seen it on the TV, never in real life.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

HA! Good Fun!

video

Huh, the more you know. I have only seen it on the TV, never in real life.

there is a world championship for lacrosse every year. am recalling when it were held in england(?) a few years back there were a passport issue for the Iroquois Nationals.  

found it

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/17/sports/17lacrosse.html?_r=0

were a real shame.

http://iroquoisnationals.org/

HA! Good Fun!

I was watching gymnastics but after that I kinda no longer feel like it...

Nevermind, I just watched Simone Biles destroy everyone, GG.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Just witnessed an epic choke in table tennis. Japanese athletes often seem mentally fragile especially compared to Chinese athletes.

They screwed up in judo too and gymnastics isn't going according to plan either.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

There are considerably more touch rugby players in New Zealand than there are full contact 15s or 7s players- though football (soccer) is most popular. Touch rugby is a very popular sport since anyone can play it and there's far less size discrimination than in the contact varieties, and here at least it's often played in summer when it doesn't compete with winter sports. It would probably make a decent Olympic sport, can hardly be worse than some of the things already there anyway. Big question about the rugby 7s is, of course, whether the US will defend its 92 year reign as Olympic champions...

Not really feeling the Olympic spirit yet at all, haven't watched anything except some of the opening ceremony despite (or maybe because of) 10 channels of coverage and theoretically decent viewing hours. Apparently we've already won a medal in shooting, so well done that lady shooter, I guess.

Edited by Zoraptor

Hell of a block by Saric. Looks like THE PROCESS may work out for The 76ers after all.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Phelps still has some of it. Gold #19. Damn

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thanks for posting that Hurlshot. I never knew the story behind that picture.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just read this, seemed a good fit for the Olympics.  I went to SJSU, so it always chokes me up to read this story.  We are bringing the track program after it basically fell apart in the years following 1968, so that is exciting.  :)

http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/the-white-man-in-that-photo/

Yep, that was a cool story. I believe the SF Chronicle (or it could be the Mercury News) published a similar story when Norman passed away.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Indoor volleyball is better. Sometimes less is more. Well and they are taller.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The archery gold is up for grabs. The guy that always wins from South Korea just lost. 

Thomas Sowell

So what do you guys think? 10 years in a labor camp or a case of 9mm-to-the-brain?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/north-korean-olympic-lifter-om-yun-chol-apologises-025009086.html

Thomas Sowell

USA women's rugby team actually wasn't bad.

Men's team though, it will probably get very painful.

Can't be worse than their World Cup performance last year.

Thomas Sowell