US Election 2016, part III

Pidesco

Gfted is Homeland Security

I can just see the drones deploying dogs with pepper spray cannons even now...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Gfted is Homeland Security

I can just see the drones deploying dogs with pepper spray cannons even now...

dogs or cyborg dogs?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

as if either one o' them wrote their own speech.  hell, we can find a dozen (dozens?) republican or democratic Congressman from the past decade who sound as if they is reading from the same freaking script.  

am not a trump fan, but this, o' all things, is a non issue for us.

HA! Good Fun!

The bit that seems to be plagiarized appears to be too big of a train of thought and with too many of the same the words to be a "speech template" or a sound byte like "world peace".

In any case, the point isn't that this woman stole the other woman. The question is rather one of competence regarding the Trump campaign. Why would they let something like this through any kind of vetting process? Again, it appears that everything in the campaign is being run off the cuff.

Edited by Pidesco
More stuff.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

First two paragraphs are obviously plagiarized word for word. But also obviously this was done by the speech writer, doesn't make sense that anyone else knew.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

(edit: removed video)

as if either one o' them wrote their own speech.  hell, we can find a dozen (dozens?) republican or democratic Congressman from the past decade who sound as if they is reading from the same freaking script.  

am not a trump fan, but this, o' all things, is a non issue for us.

HA! Good Fun!

The bit that seems to be plagiarized appears to be too big of a train of thought and with too many of the same the words to be a "speech template" or a sound byte like "world peace".

gonna disagree. again is speech writers for both. and from early in ms. obama's speech, the material is so cliché that it almost writes itself.  honest.  listen to either speech and predict what is gonna be said next.  

who cares?  is not plagiarizing a doctoral thesis or anything close.  is the wives o' presidential candidates reading prepared and predictable speeches that if one dug up speeches o' wives o' US senators from past years they would no doubt find many similar.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The suggestion the FBI is corrupt and incompetent is really the last thing the USA needs to now debate, especially when its untrue,  considering all the current social and political issues the psyche of the USA is grappling with like BLM, homegrown terrorism and police getting killed

The FBI has little to do with BLM. 

You misunderstanding me. The thought that the FBI cant be trusted adds  additional concern, distrust, anger , invective and other forms of angst to what some Americans are already grappling with like ...BLM

So BLM and not trusting the FBI are two separate issues people could grapple with ...why add something to the general state of worry that isn't true

And it isn't true that the FBI cant be trusted to protect the USA as best they can 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hate plagiarism, but I agree with Gromnir, this is such cliche stuff that the overlap means little to me.

The New Yorker ran a decent article about Johnson & Weld: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/gary-johnson-the-third-party-candidate

There is a little snark in it but it is the New Yorker after all.

Love the stuff at the end about the history of 3rd parties.

The whole hoopla about speech plagiarizing has reached the news here as well.

"It has sparked a discussion", as they say. No, it is the journalists who have hung up on something trivial as this.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"It has sparked a discussion", as they say. No, it is the journalists who have hung up on something trivial as this.

Meshugger would you consider yourself an objective commentator on what society should deem as trivial ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, what is your opinion? Do you think this is a big deal?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Bruce, what is your opinion? Do you think this is a big deal?

Its a distraction for the Republicans during there convention when they would rather be debating other issues with the media

I feel sorry for Melania because she did across as sincere and I doubt she created most of that speech herself or that she personally knew she was plagiarizing Michelle's speech

It is a media talking point but its not a big deal 

John Milton 

I agree. Both that it isn't a big deal and that the media is making a lot of it. Curiously the media said not a word when Barack Obama did it... twice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6x1H08aFc&feature=youtu.be

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Here is the RNC'a chief strategist citing My Little Pony to argue that Melania Trump did not plagiarize her speech

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/755455836240089088

Just for fun of it. As this should be material  funny things thread instead of this, but this is world where we seem to live now.  

Edited by Elerond

Meshugger would you consider yourself an objective commentator on what society should deem as trivial ?

How does your mind work really? I am asking the journalists to stop trying to create narratives and instead report as objectively as possible on the events at the convention; simply to do their jobs. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wasn't part of the fuss not just about the plagiarism, but in an interview about half an hour or so before she gave the speech she was saying how she wrote her upcoming speech with a little help from a few people. So it's that she chose to plagiarise, or she's doing that other rather common thing of lying to the public.

Sure, it's all being rather blown up, but it's part and parcel of all the little things that show good foundations are not there to be built on.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Republican "strategy" has been to double down on everything for a long time. "This thing we did didn't work? We'll do it again like children throwing a tantrum, then."

See Benghazi, for example.

If that were true they'd still be pushing hard against gay marriage. They seem to be mostly backing off on that front. The sooner they get off that hill the better they'll be.

But you were the one who correctly pointed a while ago that no serious US politician will openly be against something like gay marriage, that political horse has thankfully left the barn ages ago

So I wouldn't expect even the most hardcore Republican populist to raise gay marriage as a serious issue at the Republican Convention but why bring up again this whole " Clinton is a criminal and should be in jail " when we have just recently had the FBI findings and they found no reason to charge her...its a really strange and concerning form of pandering because it suggests, amongst other things, certain Republicans dont trust the FBI and there ability to act impartially ?

The suggestion the FBI is corrupt and incompetent is really the last thing the USA needs to now debate, especially when its untrue, considering all the current social and political issues the psyche of the USA is grappling with like BLM, homegrown terrorism and police getting killed

To still go on about something like this surly is just disingenuous and divisive ?

Actually it's not just the FBI, but the AG and IRS as well.

The problem we are having with with Hillarys case is that THEY say there's no criminal activity BUT won't show the evidence WHY they think that.

They are not showing anything and while the FBI lost a lot of respect when he even stated that yes Hillary lied under oath (which is a federal offense) and said yes there was unauthorized Intel leaked out And even admitted how careless she was with top secret info......they say she didn't "INTEND" to break the law so she didn't.....

The AG within 3 hours said Hillary hadn't done anything illegal. 3 hours which this shoulda taken weeks and also lets not forget the meeting with BIll who the AG asked for no cameras or anything during said meeting. The ****ing cherry on the top is that she wouldn't answer ANY question that had to deal with any type of evidence at all.

So you have the FBI who admits that Hillary did something illegal with the lying and admits that she did in fact send out secret Intel emails from her home computer in the basement after she said she didn't and that the secretary of the state was very careless with the info she sent out.....and that she shouldn't be charged. The AG basicallyi says she shouldn't be charged and won't give any info on the case whatsoever and won't share any info on how they reached the decision.

Trust me, I've been watching the cases on cspan and its obvious things are being covered up and it isn't kosher. Hell they doing it in a way that A. The FBI has lost a LOT of face and only saved fave by actually answering the questions whereas the Attorny General has lost all respect with how things have gone and her judgement to not answer a single....... A ****ing single question on the case at all. She's basically said she didn't do her job and left it up to her team and won't give any info on her team, if the info was shared or the same between the FBI, **** the bitch wouldn't even answer if driving 65 miles in a 55 was breaking the law.

So no, trust me on this, publics got a right to not trust any of them at ALL when dealing Hillary. Just go and look, it actually became funny and very entertaining in a rewarding way how they ripped the AG to shreds, literally political suicide. Shes on the same level as Hillary imho.

So Bruce, instead of reading bias reports from all sides, take some time and watch the court videos and make ur own judgement.

Edited by redneckdevil

I might be the new guy, but I'll take a poke in the dark and say that I'm probably one of the few token Republicans in this forum.  I'll comment on Hillary Clinton.

First of all, I don't completely disagree with Comey.  I'm not a laywer.  I don't even play one on T.V.  But some of my Satan worshipping laywer friends tell me that a lot of prosecutors wouldn't have touched the Clinton case because of the precedent and standards associated with it.  Sure, but Comey is also the guy who sent Martha Sterwart up the river, don't forget.  What for?  For the original offense for which she was investigated?  Nope.  For obstruction of justice.  I find it hard to believe, knowing the general arrogance and conceit of most attorneys, that an up and coming prosecutor wouldn't be happy to take on the Clinton case not only for negligence, which is explicitly stated in the statute, but for obstruction based on her destroying evidence if nothing else.

I'm not embittered about all this.  I think Comey did a huge amount of damage to Clinton with people who can actually vote in the United States.  Her trustworthiness numbers have gotten worse and they were dismal already.  However, I do lose patience with people pretending that Comey, in making his extremely controversial decision, exonerated Clinton.  He delivered a scathing indictment and, if it werent' for the fact that she's running against a terrible candidate, she would be sunk.

Anyhow, all good.  I think Trump might actually win this one, and considering his nasty reputation, most of which is rightfully earned, that's remarkable.

I don't understand whining about Crooked Hillary while Bush and Cheney are still free men.

I vaguely recall that according to some recently (last 6 months I'd say) declassified documents, Bush actually wasn't that bad in terms of intent. He really was just that much of a puppet and woefully unqualified for the position, so much of his administration is him being oblivious to anything and everything while Cheney and his administration worked around him. Iraq for example, he genuinely believed they had weapons of mass destruction because the administration made the decision to keep him in the dark about that.

I mean we all knew he wasn't the brightest, but you often think that SURELY a guy that high up must have some degree of intelligence to his name. The hilarious part is that yeah, he's accidently excused from any charges or offenses if he genuinely had no idea.

You're right about Cheney though, but I'd say people are outraged about Hillary because it's never quite been THIS obvious we're getting a Wall Street candidate. I think that level of shamelessness just makes people all the more enraged about any wrongdoing; it's one thing when someone's a monster, it's another when they may as well be flaunting it in public.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?