mass shooting in orlando

Gromnir

Now his little boy will have to live with the shame of his father being a Muslim terrorist. He will grow up as an outcast being picked on and bullied in schools, like the young child of the Boston Marathon bomber and the San Bernardino shooters. Selfish **** who only care about themselves going to their heaven and could care less about the children they left behind.

• Like 1

Orlando shooter was a regular at the gay nightclub he attacked, used multiple gay dating apps

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-orlando-nightclub-shooter-visited-222620444.html

I wonder how that's going to go down with Isis. Will be kicked out of paradise now for being a conflicted gay man. 

It isn't uncommon that homophobic people go in gay clubs and look people from dating apps and sites that are meant for gays. And it isn't also uncommon that this behavior eventually leads escalation where said people start assault and even kill gays. And it is also common that in these cases people believe that these criminals just could not handle fact that they are gay, but usually there isn't no other evidence than their fascination towards thing that they clearly hate that there is anything gay in them. Usually people that show behavior where they become more and more fascinated with target of their hate and eventually escalating to violence towards target is called stalking  but in cases like this people often jump in conclusion that person just could not handle being gay. Which may be because they think that it is insulting towards said homophobic criminals or because it works as easy explanation for that person's violent behavior, but this both things are quite problematic for people that were targeted by these criminals hatred.

That's possible I guess. But he was on several gay social media. I took that to mean he had a profile. If you have a profile, I mean ods are you are gay. 

But having wife and child and no known male partners lowers odds to be gay somewhat especially for millennial who has grown in USA. And even being in denial becomes quite questionable if he really has have been visiting Pulse and other gay nightclubs for years and seeking male company (at least I haven't heard about one) from dating apps and sites, because that is quite lot time to be in denial about yourself but still constantly seeking environment with people that you deny being part of.  This aren't behaviors that you commonly see in people that are in denial.

I thought the opposite was true.  I've lost track of how many republican family men have been arrested for soliciting sex in toilets.

*sigh*

Screaming “ALLAHU AKBAR!,” Muslim murders police officer & takes his family hostage near Paris, kills wife

http://pamelageller.com/2016/06/screaming-allahu-akbar-muslim-murders-police-officer-takes-his-family-hostage-near-paris.html/

I don't know if it is ISIS, but still...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gay or not, he had already placed his priorities long ago: http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/orlando-killer-cheered-911-attacks-former-classmates-say/

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Orlando mosque tied to case Hillary's State Dept scrubbed.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/06/orlando-mosque-tied-to-case-hillarys-state-dept-scrubbed/

They were talking about this on the Micheal Smerconish show on the radio today. There is a definite link between the Orlando mosque of the Imam that said repeatedly that gays should be killed as a "mercy" that the shooter occasionaly attended and a network with terrorist ties centered in California. The FBI & DHS were investigating that network when the plug was pulled by the State Department (which Hillary Clinton was in charge of) for fear of an investigation that appeared to be "targeting" Muslims in the agents exact words. It is a tenuous link between Hillary Clinton and the Orlando mosque and an even more tenuous one between HC & the shooter. Too tenuous for a real correlation but it does make for interesting reading. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

http://www.wnd.com/2016/06/orlando-mosque-tied-to-case-hillarys-state-dept-scrubbed/

They were talking about this on the Micheal Smerconish show on the radio today. There is a definite link between the Orlando mosque of the Imam that said repeatedly that gays should be killed as a "mercy" that the shooter occasionaly attended and a network with terrorist ties centered in California. The FBI & DHS were investigating that network when the plug was pulled by the State Department (which Hillary Clinton was in charge of) for fear of an investigation that appeared to be "targeting" Muslims in the agents exact words. It is a tenuous link between Hillary Clinton and the Orlando mosque and an even more tenuous one between HC & the shooter. Too tenuous for a real correlation but it does make for interesting reading. 

I wonder if it might have to do with the possible contacts of Hillary's aid, Huma Mahmood Abedin.

Huma_Abedin_3556883b.jpg

Just a hunch.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/14/inside-the-hate-filled-mind-of-a-mass-murderer/

Carter, who was among several patrons Mateen held hostage after they'd tried to take refuge in a club bathroom, told a news conference Tuesday that Mateen asked if there were any African Americans in the bathroom. When one man answered yes, "the gunman responded back to him saying, 'You know, I don't have a problem with black people. This is about my country. You guys have suffered enough.' "

How progressive of him.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

With the likes of Huma Abedeen in the government and CAIR advising Obola, why should that surprise anyone?

http://observer.com/2016/06/the-road-to-orlando/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/14/inside-the-hate-filled-mind-of-a-mass-murderer/

Carter, who was among several patrons Mateen held hostage after they'd tried to take refuge in a club bathroom, told a news conference Tuesday that Mateen asked if there were any African Americans in the bathroom. When one man answered yes, "the gunman responded back to him saying, 'You know, I don't have a problem with black people. This is about my country. You guys have suffered enough.' "

How progressive of him.

Well, he is a Democrat.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

In case anyone was wondering why Donald Trump is constantly bashing the media and why so many Americans don't trust the media take a look at this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/opinion/the-corrosive-politics-that-threaten-lgbt-americans.html

While the precise motivation for the rampage remains unclear, it is evident that Mr. Mateen was driven by hatred toward gays and lesbians. Hate crimes don’t happen in a vacuum. They occur where bigotry is allowed to fester, where minorities are vilified and where people are scapegoated for political gain. Tragically, this is the state of American politics, driven too often by Republican politicians who see prejudice as something to exploit, not extinguish.

Really? Mateen, a gay Muslim democrat, called the local TV station as he is shooting up a gay nightclub he has been to many times an tells them he is doing it for ISIS. Despite this the New York Times not only refuses to accept the killers own professed motivations they actually find a way to blame the whole thing on Republicans who don't actually figure into this story in any way.

If Bruce Jenner wears a dress and calls himself a woman (despite the obvious anatomical inconsistencies that haven't been addressed yet) then as far as the NY Times is concerned he's a woman. But if a gay, Muslim, democrat murders 49 people and says he's doing it for ISIS it's really the Republican's fault.

Credibility < 0

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hate the politicizing of this stuff, but I do disagree with us just throwing the blame on ISIS.  They may be the easiest scapegoat, they may jump at the chance to take credit for this stuff, but it would seem to be a good deal more complicated than him just being radicalized.

It would be comforting if it really just an ISIS attack, because then we'd have a clear target.  You'd also probably have a trail to follow of people that pushed him towards radicalization, you might have a terrorist cell.  Instead we have stories of mental illness and questions about his own sexuality.  We have missed opportunities to stop this, from the FBI to his wife.  How do we prevent these types of tragedies in the future?  What can we learn from this?    

I mean, think about the safeguards he got around:

Want the FBI to be aggressive about investigating suspicious people?  They interviewed him three times!

Want to have good guys with guns in the area?  He exchanged fire with security, an off duty police officer.

Much like with Columbine, I'd say the biggest thing we will be able to do about this is change the way law enforcement responds to these situations and the way clubs handle security.   

• Like 1

http://ktla.com/2016/06/15/orlando-nightclub-gunman-called-friend-tv-station-during-attack-officials-say/

"Salman, Mateen's second wife, has been cooperating with various law enforcement agencies.

Salman told investigators that Mateen told her he had interest in carrying out a jihadist attack -- but she denied knowing of any specific plans, according to two law enforcement officials.

She initially denied that when Mateen left the house Saturday she had any inkling he was going to do anything violent.

But in subsequent statements, Salman conceded she had a suspicion he might be planning to do an attack, perhaps on Pulse, the officials said. According to one official, she knew "for a while" Mateen had thoughts of wanting to do something violent. He had been talking about it for months, if not years."

"Federal investigators are focused on Mateen's and Salman's activities in the days and weeks leading up to rampage, which left 49 people dead and 53 wounded.

Mateen appeared to be conducting surveillance at Pulse and Disney properties days.

Investigators believe he made surveillance trips to the club and the Disney Springs shopping complex during Gay Days 2016, a citywide celebration, a law enforcement official said. Walt Disney World and other Orlando locations held Gay Days 2016, events from May 31 to June 6.

Disney security officials told the FBI they believe he also visited Disney World on April 26 to conduct surveillance, the law enforcement official said."

"Salman has told investigators she was with her husband on at least one trip to buy ammunition, according to multiple law enforcement officials. When and where that occurred is unclear.

Salman claims she didn't know he was buying ammunition to kill people when she accompanied him, but such purchases were not unusual for him.

CNN has reported that Mateen picked up a Sig Sauer rifle on June 9, four days after he purchased it from the St. Lucie Shooting Center.

Records indicate that Mateen purchased ammunition from that store on June 9, according to a law enforcement official. The owner of the shop, Ed Henson, told CNN's Christopher Lett that Mateen visited the store on multiple occasions but he never saw Salman.

More than a month after the Disney World trip in April, Mateen and his wife visited Pulse and Disney Springs -- apparently to scout out the locations, a law enforcement official said."

"Authorities piecing together the timeline of the killing found that Mateen stopped to make several phone calls as his victims lay bleeding to death at the Pulse.

He called a friend to tell him goodbye, two law enforcement officials said. He also called 911 to pledge his allegiance to ISIS.

And he called CNN affiliate News 13 in Orlando to proclaim he was carrying out the massacre on behalf of the terror group.

Producer Matthew Gentili answered the newsroom phone early Sunday.

"I'm the shooter. It's me. I am the shooter," Mateen said, according to Gentili. "I did it for ISIS. I did it for the Islamic State."

Authorities are facing the challenge of trying to glean information from the gunman's cell phone. It was damaged after it was submerged in water and blood, law enforcement officials said."

"Mateen made derogatory comments about gays and expressed outrage over the sight of two men kissing, according to reports.

But in the months leading up to the carnage, Mateen visited gay chat rooms, messaged people on gay dating apps and even frequented the same gay nightclub he would eventually terrorize, sources said.

Investigators don't know whether the gunman frequented Pulse and chat rooms for personal reasons or for surveillance. Hopper said he had no knowledge of Mateen patronizing any gay nightclubs other than Pulse.

FBI agents are interviewing people who claim they met the gunman on gay dating apps, a law enforcement official said.

Those claims "certainly change the perspective," the source said.

No men have publicly come forward claiming to have had sexual contact with him."

"Was the mass shooting fueled by homophobia? Was the gunman struggling with his own sexuality? Or was he really inspired by ISIS, as his final phone calls suggest?

An analysis of Mateen's electronic devices showed searches for jihadist propaganda, including videos of ISIS beheadings, an official said.

A law enforcement official said the gunman increased his consumption of a variety of jihadist propaganda, such as beheading videos two weeks before the attack.

Before that the source says his consumption was infrequent and he certainly wasn't immersing himself in it. The official described Mateen as an "angry and violent man who in the last few weeks started watching ISIS videos."

A source said he was looking for any excuse to do something violent and he was a "boiling kettle."

But Mateen's father, Seddique Mateen, said his son didn't have ties to the terror group -- which he calls "the enemy of humanity."

He said he didn't believe his son was gay.

"I don't know if he was, if that was his way of his life, but I don't believe so," Seddique Mateen said. He said his son was married with a child."

The wife should consider herself lucky if she doesn't end up being prosecuted.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I hate the politicizing of this stuff, but I do disagree with us just throwing the blame on ISIS.  They may be the easiest scapegoat, they may jump at the chance to take credit for this stuff, but it would seem to be a good deal more complicated than him just being radicalized.

It would be comforting if it really just an ISIS attack, because then we'd have a clear target.  You'd also probably have a trail to follow of people that pushed him towards radicalization, you might have a terrorist cell.  Instead we have stories of mental illness and questions about his own sexuality.  We have missed opportunities to stop this, from the FBI to his wife.  How do we prevent these types of tragedies in the future?  What can we learn from this?    

I mean, think about the safeguards he got around:

Want the FBI to be aggressive about investigating suspicious people?  They interviewed him three times!

Want to have good guys with guns in the area?  He exchanged fire with security, an off duty police officer.

Much like with Columbine, I'd say the biggest thing we will be able to do about this is change the way law enforcement responds to these situations and the way clubs handle security.

ISIS is a scapegoat according to you? Obviously this has nothing to do with radical ideology, even though his father is an America hating Taliban loving Muslim immigrant who expressed exactly the same views as his son.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

ISIS is a scapegoat according to you? Obviously this has nothing to do with radical ideology, even though his father is an America hating Taliban loving Muslim immigrant who expressed exactly the same views as his son.

Of course this has to do with radical ideology, I already stated as such.  Try to keep up.  

It sure sounds like you're trying to minimize that aspect of it in the following:

It would be comforting if it really just an ISIS attack, because then we'd have a clear target.  You'd also probably have a trail to follow of people that pushed him towards radicalization, you might have a terrorist cell. Instead we have stories of mental illness and questions about his own sexuality.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

Overall I have to agree strongly with Guard Dog on the press coverage. I'm no Trump fan and no fan of the GOP but trying to blame them* is politically inspired contortion of the most extreme kind. When it was Dylan Roof shooting black people because he was a self confessed racist that was accepted as his reason without question- maybe not as the only reason since plenty of people are racist without murdering people and you'd suspect an underlying mental issue separate from __ in most mass shootings, but it was certainly the reason he chose the people he did and why Mateen chose the people he did. Yet when it comes to Mateen we're supposed to accept that he pledged to ISIS as an irrelevant delusion or something, if it's even mentioned at all. They seem almost paralysed by the possibility that using the words 'radical islam' will be used as an attack against non radical muslims or boost Trump.

The closest direct parallel is probably the Australian Shia (!) Man Haron Monis who joined ISIS and took over a cafe in 2014. There were other underlying issues, but you cannot simply ignore their own stated reasons as if they don't exist.

*exc gun control, perhaps

• Like 5

News showed some video taken by a victim hiding with others during the ordeal, rather surprised someone would film at a time like that, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

FBI so blinded by PC they can't see what's right in front of their face: http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/17/has-fbis-work-been-tainted-political-correctness/#!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this claim.

I dont only doubt I reject it with complete contempt , the suggestion that the FBI is either ineffective or indifferent is just right wing hubris  ....no substance to it  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela