Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Gfted - what didn't you like about Ghostbusters?

You know, I don't know. Its not like I'm upset about the reboot or hold the original as a sacred cow or anything, it just wasn't "fun" (I know thats vague). There were a couple of chuckles but overall I did not enjoy the cast at all. The story was very similar to the original so no surprises there. I guess the CGI was kinda cool.

There have been a few complaints being made that Chris Hemsworth's character is so incredibly not smart, and is just there to look "pretty".

To which a general response has been "Wait, the sole lead character the same gender as you in this film is arm-candy and you don't like how this feels? How ever will you deal with the rest of life?."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

oh boy, I really can't stand comic movies, i suppose iron man was decent but that WW trailer makes me cringe so hard. That King Arthur on other hand - yeah I can watch that (especially because I like Guy Richie movies)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There have been a few complaints being made that Chris Hemsworth's character is so incredibly not smart, and is just there to look "pretty".

To which a general response has been "Wait, the sole lead character the same gender as you in this film is arm-candy and you don't like how this feels? How ever will you deal with the rest of life?."

I found him to be the funniest parts of the movie. And yes, his role is as a super dumb beefcake.

• Like 1

I also found him to be amongst the most likeable member of the cast, he came off as natural and unforced, while unfortunately I felt the rest of the cast were trying far too hard to be funny. Compare this to the original where the Ghostbusters can say and achieve a lot without all of the mugging and constant self narration, the lady least guilty of this I think was the tall African American one, who seemed far more comfortable than the others.

Its strange how they changed some of the characters however: Janine's replacement become stupid, whereas she was smart and sharp. Winston's replacement dropped his blue collar mundanity to become one of these street people with the typical cultural predilection. Egon, well i'm not sure who his replacement was as none of the ladies seemed like scientists at all, if it was the frantically mugging one then I think they did Mr Ramis' character a disservice.

I think its a build up of their experience that I missed, whereas in the original film one clearly sees these four individuals go from desperate start up businessmen to overnight celebrities, and then on to where they have become blue collar workers in the fight against the supernatural. The weirdness and oddity they battle has become everyday, and they are just everyday slobs like all of us working a long houred job. This resonated with me personally. In the modern version the timeframe seems far too accelerated, with no progression, just instant recognition. They needed a Larry King moment and as good a montage as the original.

Pacing, probably too much improvisation and not enough of a solid script as well.

Edit: I wish they'd stop defecating on the King Arthur legend.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Edit: I wish they'd stop defecating on the King Arthur legend.

Cant be worse than clash of titans

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ah that 30 year anniversary to make you feel old...

Sigourney Weaver and Bill Paxton reflect on Aliens most quotable lines

The cast of Aliens assembled at Comic-Con to celebrate the iconic science fiction film’s 30th anniversary, and all agreed that James Cameron’s script is a key part of what makes the film a classic. But woven into that strong storytelling are also some of cinema’s most memorable one-liners, as stars Bill Paxton and Sigourney Weaver recalled.
Paxton recalled the origin of his famous “Game Over!” line:

I’m not great at improvising on the spot. The stuff I improvised was stuff that wasn’t in the script, but it was stuff that I’d thrown at Jim [Cameron] in a rehearsal. Jim’s mind is like a steel trap—he’d remember something I’d said when we were rehearsing in a scene we were shooting two months later,
He’d say, ‘You said something about the express elevator to hell ... yeah, put that in here!’ That was kind of cool, and fun. ‘Game over, man!’ was really the background of the character. I figured he was kind of the enlisted version of Gorman, who was the officer [played by] Bill Hope, who probably came up on video games. Back in those days—I don’t think they do it anymore, but I don’t play video games—at the end of your quarter, it would always be ‘Game over’ [on the screen]. So I wondered if anyone had ever used that [line], because it was kind of good. I had no idea it would catch on.

By contrast, Weaver’s iconic “Get away from her, you bitch!” was straight from the script.

“I think I only did one take, and I remember I went up [with my voice]: ‘Get away from her, you bitch!’” Weaver said, exaggerating the up-the-vocal-scale inflection on the last word. “And I thought, ‘What the **** did I do that for?’ I wanted to do it again, and they said, ‘We don’t have time.’”

STAR TREK BEYOND - I liked it quite a bit, at least as much as the first reboot Trek.

As my friend put it: "It was good, in a filler kind of way". It's like those 2 part episodes in the middle of a season of any Star Trek, they stand apart from the rest of the episodes, but they are not as grand as the season finale.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I did go see new Ghostbusters, I was surprised that it was actually watchable movie after all the negativity that I have heard and read. I don't think it will be similar cult classic like original, but decent and somewhat funny. Compared to other block busters that I have watched this year, it is better than Batman vs. Superman, but far from Captain America 3 and Deadpool. 

GB was not a 'cult classic'. It was a hit. And,m  nu GB isn't better than anything. I don't care about the Marvel comic book films but even its worst is better than the trash known as GB 16.

Now, excuse me, this sexist boypig has gotta go watch some  classic male films that are anti women.

*goes to watch Alien*

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

GB was not a 'cult classic'. It was a hit. And,m  nu GB isn't better than anything. I don't care about the Marvel comic book films but even its worst is better than the trash known as GB 16.

Now, excuse me, this sexist boypg has gotta go watch some  classic male films that are anti women.

*goes to watch Alien*

Volo, you need to be more patient with the common folk. Theirs is not to remember what movies used to be or have the time to rewatch them, GB is a film. Nowadays that counts as a virtue, just simply making a film.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

We knew from the outset that Netflix’s supernatural thriller Stranger Things was going to pay a healthy debt to the 80's. Throw a few sci-fi and body horror greats into a blender, add a dose of sobbing Winona Ryder and a dash of kale to make it taste like 2016, and you’ve arrived. It’s a smoothie, but holy hell is it a delicious, artfully created, thoughtful, and addictive smoothie.

Of course, some of the parallels are obvious. Mike and El’s plotline is essentially The Goonies and E.T. with a side of Akira. Winona Ryder lives out many of the story beats in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Aliens plus The Thing gets you Hawkins Laboratory. Hell, Chief Hopper is basically Han Solo meets Jack Torrance. But in an effort to disclose the less apparent influences Ulysse Thevenon matched the series scene-for-scene with the cinematic moments it’s inspired by, and it’s glorious. (Also, despite it being pretty obscure and not very good, I’m so glad Thevenon picked up on the Explorers vibe.)

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

https://vimeo.com/175929311

Now, excuse me, this sexist boypig has gotta go watch some  classic male films that are anti women.

*goes to watch Alien*

I ranked both Marvel movies better than GB 16, so where is the problem?  :dancing:

• Like 1

The Rocketeer is getting a sequel

One of Disney’s most underrated films, The Rocketeer, is finally getting the respect it deserves. The Hollywood Reporter says the company is prepping a brand new sequel/reboot called The Rocketeers and the new hero is an African-American woman.

This new version will be set six years after the original film. The first Rocketeer has disappeared fighting the Nazis, so an unlikely pilot takes up the mantle and battles the scientists who are trying to mass produce the rocket technology for the enemy.

Writers Max Winkler and Matt Spicer are penning the script and it’s being produced by Brigham Taylor (The Jungle Book) and, weirdly, athletes Blake Griffin of the L.A. Clippers and Ryan Kalil of the Carolina Panthers.

Released in 1991, the Joe Johnston action-adventure film was a modest success at the box office. Since then, though, it’s enjoyed a cult following for its exciting effects and wonderful score. A sequel has been rumored for years—we’re very excited it’s finally moving forward.

• Like 1

The Rocketeer is getting a sequel

One of Disney’s most underrated films, The Rocketeer, is finally getting the respect it deserves. The Hollywood Reporter says the company is prepping a brand new sequel/reboot called The Rocketeers and the new hero is an African-American woman.

This new version will be set six years after the original film. The first Rocketeer has disappeared fighting the Nazis, so an unlikely pilot takes up the mantle and battles the scientists who are trying to mass produce the rocket technology for the enemy.

Writers Max Winkler and Matt Spicer are penning the script and it’s being produced by Brigham Taylor (The Jungle Book) and, weirdly, athletes Blake Griffin of the L.A. Clippers and Ryan Kalil of the Carolina Panthers.

Released in 1991, the Joe Johnston action-adventure film was a modest success at the box office. Since then, though, it’s enjoyed a cult following for its exciting effects and wonderful score. A sequel has been rumored for years—we’re very excited it’s finally moving forward.

I remember the Rocketeer for two reasons, one being Jennifer and the other Connelly, despicable slavering predator that I am.

Hopefully if successful though we will see some other old radio heroes brought back from the dead, perhaps even Lamont Cranston may see another outing?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Rokcetteer was  a vagugely watchable movie so   my careometer is very low. As for the gender/race change: I'm of two minds a) I don't care. Plenty of good black actresses who have entertained my in movies and on tv. Pick the right one and it could be fun. b) the evil cynical side is  lauhing at the cultural appropriation that continues on. L0L

Also,  are all these ahrdcore anti whitey male pro minority people so  fearful of anything that their big ideas is to steal old roles and giver them to others instead of you know make  good quality roles for these minority actors. I would be insulted if I was an actor give me hands me downs out of pity.

Of course, like I said, all that matters is if it is good.   This happened with Denzel Washington in The Equalizer. Then again, it is denbzel 'Fin' Washington one of the best actors ever. of coruse, he did a damn good job. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

(image)

the captain? am admitting that we still give captain america an edge over the new captain marvel... oldie marvel marvel is actually mar-vel in our book.  even so, when ranking top three captains, they is as follows.

3) the captain o' captain and tenille.  

the former beach boys keyboardist deserves #3 spot if only 'cause leonard nimoy were a guest on the captain and tenille show.  has captain marvel ever worked with spock? no?  

2) derek "the captain" jeter

BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg

married hannah davis

hannah-davis-2016-photo-sports-illustrat

1) captain caveman

speaks for itself.

brie should be so lucky as to eventual earn consideration 'mongst such luminaries.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)