Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Ganrich is right.  The desire for freedom is often  overwhelming  and will often trump feelings of 'comfort'. To say someone should want to stay where they are abused, raped, treated like trash, is ignorance of the humnan condition and common sense. That ain't living. That is just watching the clock of your life tick down.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I did go see new Ghostbusters, I was surprised that it was actually watchable movie after all the negativity that I have heard and read. I don't think it will be similar cult classic like original, but decent and somewhat funny. Compared to other block busters that I have watched this year, it is better than Batman vs. Superman, but far from Captain America 3 and Deadpool. 

Elerond how are things in Finland? Have you guys had anymore issue around the immigrants ?

There hasn't been notable issues. 

Ah, the sweet joy of working with method actors...

Will Smith on Jared Leto

This Friday, Suicide Squad hits theaters worldwide and introduces people to the idea that sometimes the bad guys… can be good. When it comes to Jared Leto, who is playing Joker in the new film, everyone is comparing his performance to that of the late Heath Ledger. When asked his thoughts on Jared Leto’s Joker, co-star Will Smith simply said, "I Don’t Like Jared Leto."

"It’s hard to draw a comparison, I think that’s what Will meant", added Will’s PR spokesperson, Frank DuChaunt. Though when Will was asked again about Leto on Good Morning America, he said, "I straight up do not like that dude. He’s an ass. On set we were all professionals except him. I had a cast party at my house and did not invite him cause I knew he’d like steal my family photos and eat them." "I think Will means to say that they all actors have different approaches and he’s excited for everyone to see the film," added Mr. DuChaunt.

Though when pressed about the past two comments and his spokesperson’s corrections on NPR this morning, Will Smith added, "Dude threw a dead pig on our read through table. Dude was in character at 6am during breakfast, pissing in my oatmeal and ****. I can’t be more clear. I hate Jared Leto and his 30 Seconds To Mars Bull****. I hate him and I wish he could just act and be normal and shut up. I don’t think the dude has a "normal" though and we should all stop giving him attention. No matter what my PR guy says this is how I really feel." When asked to clarify, Mr. DuChaunt just shrugged stood mouth ajar and just went "Ahhhhh…" for 25 mins straight. Suicide Squad is in theaters Friday and will make many moneys.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So Splash is getting the remake.

And apparently they're switching it around so Channing Tatum is playing the Merman?

So I watched that new Dredd - better than I was expecting

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"And apparently they're switching it around so Channing Tatum is playing the Merman?"

L0L Let me guess. They bragged about how 'creative' and 'original' their idea was?

Sorry,  people, switching gender or ace on an old character doesn't make it new.  L0L

Only review I've skimmed complained about elements taken from the comics so...still looking forward to it myself.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's been getting a lot of "the bits of it are good, it just doesn't turn into a whole thing"  or the lines of "it's pretty much Escape From New York with a team of almost-Snake Pliskens and a slice of bad Joker."

Only review I've skimmed complained about elements taken from the comics so...still looking forward to it myself.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/suicide-squad-review

This is particularly harsh

"Suicide Squad is bad. Not fun bad. Not redeemable bad. Not the kind of bad that is the unfortunate result of artists honorably striving for something ambitious and falling short. Suicide Squad is just bad. It’s ugly and boring, a toxic combination that means the film’s highly fetishized violence doesn’t even have the exciting tingle of the wicked or the taboo. (Oh, how the movie wants to be both of those things.) It’s simply a dull chore steeped in flaccid machismo, a shapeless, poorly edited trudge that adds some mildly appalling sexism and even a soupçon of racism to its abundant, hideously timed gun worship. But, perhaps worst of all, Suicide Squad is ultimately too shoddy and forgettable to even register as revolting. At least revolting would have been something."

Is this the beginning of the end of movies based on comics? Was there any comic book movie lately that didn't got trashed from someone?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think DC movies are in a spiral, but Wonder Woman might save them.. especially if Justice League manages to carry the sense of fun.

Mavel is keeping fairly happy with general popcorn fun that audiences are content with, so that's going to carry on for a few more years.

Fox is bouncing with the X-Men stuff, but now they have Deadpool as well, so some mixed potential there.

some good sci-fi released in last 2 years? Kind of dont know what to watch

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Let's see, dropping comic and video game movies...

The Martian and Interstellar were interesting

I liked the Edge of Tomorrow

Jurassic World was fun if stupid. Probably say the same about Godzilla and Transformers but those may be more stupid than fun

Jupiter Ascending was pretty bad as was the Divergent series and Lucy

I haven't seen these so I can't say

Ex Machina

Mad Max

Terminator 

Tomorrowland

Chappie

Probably a lot more I'm forgetting

Free games updated 3/4/21

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/suicide-squad-review

This is particularly harsh

"Suicide Squad is bad. Not fun bad. Not redeemable bad. Not the kind of bad that is the unfortunate result of artists honorably striving for something ambitious and falling short. Suicide Squad is just bad. It’s ugly and boring, a toxic combination that means the film’s highly fetishized violence doesn’t even have the exciting tingle of the wicked or the taboo. (Oh, how the movie wants to be both of those things.) It’s simply a dull chore steeped in flaccid machismo, a shapeless, poorly edited trudge that adds some mildly appalling sexism and even a soupçon of racism to its abundant, hideously timed gun worship. But, perhaps worst of all, Suicide Squad is ultimately too shoddy and forgettable to even register as revolting. At least revolting would have been something."

That author admits to hating Ayer's previous films, referring to them as "repugnant" which makes me think he wasn't in the market for this film.  But who knows?  I won't until I see it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jurassic World was fun if stupid. Probably say the same about Godzilla and Transformers but those may be more stupid than fun

Ex Machina

Mad Max

Terminator 

Tomorrowland

Chappie

manifested will likely burst a blood vessel if you don't at least mention star wars.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am much surprised that edge of tomorrow didn't do better at the box office.  we don't much like tom cruise, and we realize that the premise is groundhog day as re-imagined in some kinda japanese novel (maybe?) but it is one o' our recent favorite sci-fi/adventure films.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Anyone who takes 'professional' reviewers' seriously are idiots.  They are completely and utterly untrustworthy. Reveiwers tried their best to sell GB.  Their bullcrap was laughed at and it failed. They tried to bury BvS, but almost uniformly, the viewers rejected their nonsense.

I trust my eyes and ears. The previews look awesome so the chances that isd it is worse than GB which had garabge preview yet  positive reviews makes me believe that they are liars.

But, I get it. Professional reviewers aka SJW Nazi Punks don't believe that a woman can be the lead star in a comic book film so they let their sexism cloud their judgement.  Sexist pigs.

Margot Robbie > ALL OF THOSE LOSERS

P.S.  "Robbie and Delevingne are ogled to varying degrees, Robbie drawing the lion’s share of Ayer’s gaze as Harley Quinn puts on some short-shorts and, of course, gets wet in the rain. Objectification aside,"

This alone likely dropped their score by at least half because godless forbid a woman own their sexuality and actually be sexy to these sexist pigs who believe women should be covered head to toe but are fine with men run around shirtless. LMAO

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

Ex Machina

Mad Max

Terminator 

Tomorrowland

Chappie

Martian - seen it was good

Interstellar - heard its quite a lot of emotional/focused on relationships and not that much sci-fy

Ex Machina - whats it about?

Terminator - seen

Tomorrowland - not interested at all

Chappie - seen

Mad Max - seen

Jurassic World - seen

Godzilla - seen

Transformers - not gonna watch that crap

Interstellar - heard its quite a lot of emotional/focused on relationships and not that much sci-fy

Ex Machina - whats it about?

Interstellar is similar to Inception in scope and ambition, it's very much a personal story with a lot of visual bling on top and sci fi elements to justify it.

Ex Machina is a suspense thriller about AI and anthropomorphizing - it has great build up, but I was dissapointed by the ending. It's has a cool indie vibe though.

In the vein of Ex Machina I can recommend 'Her' - also about AI and anthropomorphizing. Except as a kinda romantic drama instead of thriller.

Fortune favors the bald.

io9 - Warner Bros report turned Suicide Squad into a mess

The early reviews are in—and many are lambasting Suicide Squad for being a tonal mess. A new report released by The Hollywood Reporter today claims to have the answer as to how that came about, and it apparently has a lot to do with audiences’ less-than-stellar reaction to Batman v Superman.—and WB’s worried reaction to that.

The extensive report—sourced through comments from unnamed Warner Bros. insiders, so grain of salt, etc.—cites a bevy of stresses about the production of the movie, from an alleged rush to meet its August 2016 release date to a supposed concern about David Ayer’s ability to handle an effects-driven summer blockbuster.

But worries about the approach Ayer was taking with the film apparently got even more heated when Warner Bros. were blindsided by the vicious critical response to Batman v Superman earlier this year:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin [Tsujihara, Warner Bros. CEO] was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

The concern lead to two alleged rival cuts of the film—one, Ayer’s darker take on the group of villainous misfits, the other a romp that focused on splashy effects and pop-song-infused humor that resonated in the movie’s early trailers. They were both screened for test audiences, until eventually a compromise between the two cuts was found—one that would need extensive reshoots to meld the two wildly different films together, hence the vaunted reports of reshoots that were claimed to “add humor” to the film earlier this year:

In May, Ayer’s more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. “If there are multiple opinions that aren’t in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least,” says an insider. “That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus.” Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to “a very common-ground place.” (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

The whole thing is definitely worth a read at the link below—and it certainly offers a good reason for the consistent critique in reviews of how Suicide Squad feels like two very different films mushed together. Suffice to say if these allegations are true, there’s probably a lot more pressure on Wonder Woman and Justice League to excel now than there already was.