What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Game is really easy if you start out as a knight, though. Noticed that I am playing for a truckton of hours and except for aesthetic reasons there is really no need to change the armor or weapon. Right now I am still using the broadsword I've found early in the game. Even the longsword probably would still work ok for me if I had reinforced it. Still using the gloves and pants from the very beginning. Nothing I've found comes even remotely close stats-wise.

Dark Souls 2 was a lot better in this area.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, you could get the Drangleic armor right after the Pursuer or the knight set after Heide's Tower of Flame, which is a very solid armor for the most part of the game.

Edited by Bendu

Drangleic armor was pretty heavy if I remember right. Also it looked bad. :>

If I spoiled me right, I should be able to get the Alva armor rather soonish. Though without the Heide Knight Iron Mask, I won't be able to suit up like before. What a shame.

Also I begin to notice a bit of a pattern in the maps. There is always that one door at the first bonfire that you can only open from the other side, so you'll have to find your way around, maybe beat a tough mob, then open the door to gain easy access to the bonfire so you don't have to run that far if you die in the next boss fight. I mean, don't get me wrong- I like how they remove unnecessary walkways, but this style is just always the same so far.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Drangleic armor was pretty heavy if I remember right. Also it looked bad. :>

fite me irl

Drangleic was the best armor in DS2. Made me feel like I was playing a Roman soldier. :p

From what I played of DS3, the movement feels much closer to DS1 than DS2, so I'm pretty happy about that. Controller's broke, though, so I currently can't play it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I wish I could just buy DS3, but it is just so expensive here in Brazil.

How is it, compared to DS1 an 2? Is there an equivalent to Hexes? They were one of the things I liked on DS2. Do Pyromancies scale with INT and Faith like in DS2? That was something I didn't like.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Man O' War

It is not a direct translation of the board game to the PC.

It is an action adventure sailing game on the lines of PIRATES!, Sea Dogs, Black Flag etc.

It is early in Early Access. (As in a couple of days of Early Access)

What do you do in the game:

You are a captain of a ship, and sail around the Old World doing stuff people do who sail around the Old World. You can trade between ports, fight other ships, do missions. At some point a campaign will be added.

Controls are fairly straight forward: W unfurls sails, S gathers them up. A and D turn the boat port or starboard. G uses the spyglass. You aim cannon with the right button, which overlays a red arrow so you can decide on distance with the mouse wheel. Then you shoot with the left. Pretty straight forward, and it means that nothing gets in your way of just doing stuff. I guess it is for sailing how Freelancer was fun for space games. You just played.

You can buy different kind of ships. You can upgrade ships. My Bretonian Corsair has a Streamlined Hull for greater speed. Additional port and starboard cannon batteries, and has replaced the common cannons with longer range ones. I also have a sharpshooter up on one mast. I am also now kinda broke.

Later on you will be allowed to hire allied captains, slowly building a fleet for you to command. That hasn't made it into the public game yet.

Actually there is a fairly neat roadmap:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/344240/announcements/detail/950630211387713183

So far the game shows fun and potential. But it is still early. There are bugs. It needs optimization. It needs content. So for a lot of people it will be too early to buy. But what is there already makes me feel good about what is to come.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I wish I could just buy DS3, but it is just so expensive here in Brazil.

How is it, compared to DS1 an 2? Is there an equivalent to Hexes? They were one of the things I liked on DS2. Do Pyromancies scale with INT and Faith like in DS2? That was something I didn't like.

In terms of atmosphere it's much closer to DS1. There are hexes, but now there are split between pyromancies, miracles and sorceries. Pyromancies scales wit INT and Faith.

Edited by Bendu

In terms of atmosphere it's much closer to DS1. There are hexes, but now there are split between pyromancies, miracles and sorceries. Pyromancies scales wit INT and Faith.

Well, at least an INT/Faith build is still more viable than in DS1. It is just that I kinda liked the novelty of a magic that didn't deoend directly on attributes, even if increasing INT by leveling up and upgading your pyromancy flame are not that different in the end.

Singleplayer-wise, no, there's not that much difference. But there was a huge difference for PVP (where who you can match up with is determined by level), which is probably why they got rid of it.

...on the other hand, pyromancies weren't really any good for PVP anyways in DS1, so I guess it didn't really matter.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Slowly getting bored with Destiny.  All I'm doing is the daily bounties now, and that's getting repetitive.

Guess it's time to give The Division another crack.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've watched Twilight only for Kristen Stewart. Yes, I love that generic and somewhat weird look of her face.

I feel a bit bad for admitting it (no, not the Twilight thing), but I actally did reinstall Train Fever after the trailer of Transport Fever and... it is fun to play. They patched it quite a few times sicne I've played it last and the performance is better, the road & rail placement feels better (though still extremely limited) and thanks to mods the interface is bigger + the economy is better. If they actually build up on that for Transport Fever, then it actually can become a competent game. Based on what they have shown in the trailer, they also expanded the way you build railways and intersections, basically removing one of the other big problems I have with the current game.

Also at least on flat land maps it's not that annoying and ugly to place roads & rails. If it's true that in Transport Fever there are more ground details visible when you zoom in, then it pretty much makes this game already like 10 times better than Train Simulator 2016 (which is a boring turd, imo).

1wll0q.jpg

GiPfE3.jpg

Disappointingly there is no Lord's Blade set in Dark Souls 3 near as I can tell, in spite of the rest of the sets from DS1 being quite well represented (Everything from Artorias' set to Havel's armour to Smough's get-up). Given that this will be the first time we've seen a half-way decent dual-wielding system, it had better make an appearance in the DLC.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Then I went and was just going to play the tutorial of Endless Legend...3 hours later...just one more turn...

The game looks interesting and I was about to put it in my cart at one time, until I read the review saying "Reinvents the 4X genre, mirroring what XCOM did for tactical turn-based games" and then it promptly flew out of my cart again.

Would love to see some impressions of the game :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Disappointingly there is no Lord's Blade set in Dark Souls 3 near as I can tell, in spite of the rest of the sets from DS1 being quite well represented (Everything from Artorias' set to Havel's armour to Smough's get-up). Given that this will be the first time we've seen a half-way decent dual-wielding system, it had better make an appearance in the DLC.

Boo. That was my favorite armor from Dark Souls 1. ;(

Then I went and was just going to play the tutorial of Endless Legend...3 hours later...just one more turn...

The game looks interesting and I was about to put it in my cart at one time, until I read the review saying "Reinvents the 4X genre, mirroring what XCOM did for tactical turn-based games" and then it promptly flew out of my cart again.

Would love to see some impressions of the game :)

The tech tree is unbalanced, but it has more personality than any 4X game I've played since Alpha Centauri, plus you can play as a murderous anthropomorphic insect race.

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 2

Started This War of Mine. Man, that game is truly bleak. Just when you think you are starting to get more supplies and are doing ok you ran out of food or something else... Oh well at least my moonshine business is running well.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I honestly don't know how other players do it.  Playing some Destiny PvP and using a hand cannon to finish off a challenge, and I can't get kills.  It seems like I need to hit the opponent 4 or 5 times to kill them, yet I swear they're killing me in 2 shots (one to take down my shields, the next to finish off my health).  I'm even aiming constantly for headshots, and it still doesn't seem to make a difference in how much damage I do to them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I honestly don't know how other players do it.  Playing some Destiny PvP and using a hand cannon to finish off a challenge, and I can't get kills.  It seems like I need to hit the opponent 4 or 5 times to kill them, yet I swear they're killing me in 2 shots (one to take down my shields, the next to finish off my health).  I'm even aiming constantly for headshots, and it still doesn't seem to make a difference in how much damage I do to them.

Try groin-shots instead?