What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

I'm watching Jordan Spieth having one of the most EPIC meltdowns I've seen in a long time in the final round of The Masters.  We're talking near-Jean van de Velde level meltdown.  My man was leading when he hit a QUADRUPLE BOGEY on 12, which included not 1, but 2 balls going swimming on a relatively straightforward approach shot.

:facepalm:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd say it was more an epic stumble. A true meltdown was Rory in 2011 going triple, bogey, double, bogey, on the back nine on Sunday, dropping from first to 15th. 

Jordan, at least, birdied again and finished second.

I believe sports term is choke.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Houdini and Doyle

A quirky little mini-series number, fictionalised account of Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle's antagonistic friendship as they explored inexplicable mysteries together. Houdini in his attempts to disprove psychics and related flim-flammery while Doyle struggled to find the supernatural and see how science could explore the boundaries of what we don't know.

Stephen Mangan as Doyle, and Michael Weston as Houdini with a pretty good supporting cast.

Sounds good. Will check this out.

On the upcoming news...

Good Omens will be adapted by Neil Gaiman into a miniseries

We have good news and sad news, and that good news is that Good Omens–and several other Terry Pratchett works–are going to be making their way to television screens.

While the BBC Radio 4 version of Good Omens was excellent, fans have longed to see this tale on screen. Which brings us to how our good news is also sad news; while Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had an agreement to always work on Good Omens material together, it seems that Pratchett wrote Gaiman a letter, to be delivered following his death. Said letter asked Gaiman to write a Good Omens adaptation without him, with his blessing. At Pratchett’s memorial service in Barbican on Thrusday, Gaiman announced ““At that point, I think I said, ‘You bastard, yes.’”

Gaiman is currently in the process of writing a six-part Good Omens series. Other announcements that came during the memorial included Terry Rossio’s adaptation of Mort into a feature film, and Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna adapting Wee Free Men for film as well. Still underway are the fan funded adaptation of Troll Bridge, and TV procedural The Watch.

That’s a wonderful flood of Pratchett stories to film, allowing fans the world over to engage with his work in brand new forms for years to come.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Back in early 2012, tens of nerds paid more than $60 USD for Season One, Star Trek: The Next Generation, digitally remastered frame by frame--successively released at five-month intervals until the Season Seven finale in late 2014. In June, 2016, the complete series, single box set, will release for $159.

When asked for comment, early adopters who paid $420 for the same experience, expressed no regret or remorse. It's TNG, they said, in 1080p with DTS. It has been made so.

tng7_zpsq3cwqibl.png

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Once upon a time I bought the first decent Star Trek DVD sets coming out for 130€ a season only to have complete box sets released for 99€ some time later. I laugh at the difference between 420$ and 159$.

...and sometimes, in weak moments, I look at the 24 boxes on my shelf and I cean hear them mocking me. But it is okay, the sets came with vouchers for super special bonus material or standees for the sets. Which totally weren't cheap cardboard cutouts barely able to hold the combined weight of an entire series. All is well. *breathe* *pant*

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Wowzers but Magicians is getting good, I know its not many peoples preference but episode 13 rocked  :bow:

Summoning of deviant  and depraved gods and the initial realization of  who The Beast is makes this series gripping stuff and exciting 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, Magicians just got better and better. Wife was looking up the books and the time frame wasn't very well presented though. Supposedly they are like 3rd or 4th year at this point, but it seems like just a few months.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In the end the only thing I actually disliked about The Magicians was the naughty word filter- the important things worked well, I liked the Harry Potter noir tone and after some initial doubts the casting was almost entirely convincing. Why put so many f-s in there if you're just going to mute them anyway? Last episode got reclassified after the first showing here as rape scene is automatically R18 while swearing wouldn't even get a blink at its timeslot. I guess the actual ending was a bit... silly too, since it reeks of some sort of inevitable time shenanigan or retcon.

Have to say it, all the SyFy stuff I suspected would be vaguely entertaining at best (Magicians, Expanse, Dark Matter, Killjoys, etc) have actually turned out to be at worst OK and some of them I'd say were outright good.

• Like 1

In the end the only thing I actually disliked about The Magicians was the naughty word filter- the important things worked well, I liked the Harry Potter noir tone and after some initial doubts the casting was almost entirely convincing. Why put so many f-s in there if you're just going to mute them anyway? Last episode got reclassified after the first showing here as rape scene is automatically R18 while swearing wouldn't even get a blink at its timeslot. I guess the actual ending was a bit... silly too, since it reeks of some sort of inevitable time shenanigan or retcon.

Have to say it, all the SyFy stuff I suspected would be vaguely entertaining at best (Magicians, Expanse, Dark Matter, Killjoys, etc) have actually turned out to be at worst OK and some of them I'd say were outright good.

I  noticed that...certain explicate words were blocked out. I assumed it was just a South African thing but I also noticed you did sometimes hear the f-word so the censorship wasn't comprehensive

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Getting caught up on the 100. Damn, I saw Lincoln's death coming as he had been cast as the lead on American Gods, but that was brutal.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wasn't paying attention to the number of episodes and assumed the finale of Magicians was this week. Turned out it was last week. **** cliffhangers that don't resolve anything.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wasn't paying attention to the number of episodes and assumed the finale of Magicians was this week. Turned out it was last week. **** cliffhangers that don't resolve anything.

Correct, now we have to wait for  a year

Zora seems to think they are in another time loop or will need one ?

But nothing that happened to the team of magicians that rest wont fix and magic can heal the traveler hands ?

John Milton 

But nothing that happened to the team of magicians that rest wont fix and magic can heal the traveler hands ?

Googled the books. While the series made some major changes from the books, Penny losing his hands and Alice dying do happen when they confront the beast, but in the book Alice succeeds in killing him. She turns into one of those magic ghost things and Quentin is able to reconstitute her in the 3rd book. Showrunner said this obviously diverges from the books as Alice survives, but they are trying to work her death in somewhere else. The entire story with Julia is in the 2nd book, and ties into the reawakening of the gods. I think I want to read the books now. They sound really good.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Googled the books. While the series made some major changes from the books, Penny losing his hands and Alice dying do happen when they confront the beast, but in the book Alice succeeds in killing him. She turns into one of those magic ghost things and Quentin is able to reconstitute her in the 3rd book. Showrunner said this obviously diverges from the books as Alice survives, but they are trying to work her death in somewhere else. The entire story with Julia is in the 2nd book, and ties into the reawakening of the gods. I think I want to read the books now. They sound really good.

Thats interesting, geez I also want to read the books ..how does Alice kill him?

And how does Penny gets his hands fixed and Eliot and Margo what happens to them  in the books 

John Milton 

Thats interesting, geez I also want to read the books ..how does Alice kill him?

And how does Penny gets his hands fixed and Eliot and Margo what happens to them  in the books 

The summary just says she sacrifices herself to defeat him. Elliot and Margo pull a Narnia and become two of the kings and queens of Fillory along with Julia and Quentin. Margo is named Janet in the books. Summary also doesn't explain how Penny gets his hands back, but they are described as translucent gold, so some sort of magical construct. He ends up with followers who mimic them.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

30 second clip of the new Who companion and she's already better than Clara

Devastatorsig.jpg

Agents of Shield. I'm a couple episodes behind and it's one of those shows I feel like I'm kind of hate-watching. Should I just drop it?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle