Question to American members

BruceVC

I don't care, I've got thick skin and don't hold any love for the US. But trolling them is pretty funny.

Can I ask you a question, I have to be honest I don't understand how you can live in the USA but not like your country? I am probably misunderstanding you ?
Because there is a lot to dislike. Off the top of my head:

1) I don't like being spied on by an increasingly authoritarian state.

2) I don't like the power private corporations wield, such as getting laws made that benefit them at the expense of people such as TPP or PIPA.

3) I don't like having money taken from me to support foreign wars and drone assassination.

4) I don't like the political process being blatantly controlled by corporate powers and billionaires.

5) I don't like the tendency to intervene in other countries, usually leaving them worse off, while abandoning citizens here.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't care, I've got thick skin and don't hold any love for the US. But trolling them is pretty funny.

Can I ask you a question, I have to be honest I don't understand how you can live in the USA but not like your country? I am probably misunderstanding you ?
Because there is a lot to dislike. Off the top of my head:

1) I don't like being spied on by an increasingly authoritarian state.

2) I don't like the power private corporations wield, such as getting laws made that benefit them at the expense of people such as TPP or PIPA.

3) I don't like having money taken from me to support foreign wars and drone assassination.

4) I don't like the political process being blatantly controlled by corporate powers and billionaires.

5) I don't like the tendency to intervene in other countries, usually leaving them worse off, while abandoning citizens here.

Okay fair enough, I may not agree with those points but I can understand how that would influence your view of the USA

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

America is built on traditions that allow us to discuss, debate, and even ridicule our country, people, and especially government. If foreigners want to do the same, I'm secure enough in my belief of Amerikan Exceptionalism to not care.

There's plenty of faults but the USA is a very good country. I come from an immigrant and minority family. My parents escaped persecution and had to start over and work from the bottom when they immigrated and finally got decent middle class jobs working for the Post Office.

They earned citizenship and strongly encouraged higher postgraduate education in two of their three kids. One is a mid-management public policy bureaucrat in Capitol Hill and the other is a Lt. Col. in the USAF J.A.G. Corp.

Me, I'm the lazy asshat who got mediocre grades at a UC and spends too much time reading computer game oriented Internet message boards and also works for Uncle Sam on the side. (Debatable whether I passed my polygraph when they asked if I've ever been a card carrying member of the communist party)

So I suppose I'm a little biased.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think it is weird that people don't criticise their own countries more. We have a few Russian posters thay come to mind.

But Hurl lets be honest,,,you can't take criticism from Oby seriously, he isn't a real person. He is vaporware wowey4.gif

I'm only real true Russian on this board. 

Actually and personally i like American culture and sympathize to American people. But Murikan state so much rotten and slowly transformed into piece of ****  and it's main reason of my criticism. After end of Cold war they have 23 years to do something great and they do... nothing.

P.S. I think BruceVC is  vaporware.  He is so unbelievable supporter of US authorities. 

Something interesting occurred a while ago  and it made me think about something I wanted to ask

Ros was having a debate with Monte about the UK  system of government and as usual Ros was making a very interesting and compelling point and Monte got annoyed and basically said " I don't need advice about my country from someone who lives in Sweden " , it was a complete overreaction but it made me realize how most of us don't like foreigners giving us advice about our country or highlighting issues 

Yet it seems on a daily basis most of us give advice or criticize or scrutinize the USA and its policies and culture...and yet you guys never seem to get annoyed?

Why is that? Are you use to it...do you ignore it..I'm interested in how our American members feel about non-Americas often discussing the USA  8)

Because USA is basically a mash of various nationalities... i mean... they are what? less than 280 years old? that's like 8-9 full generations at most?

(Debatable whether I passed my polygraph when they asked if I've ever been a card carrying member of the communist party)

Do they really still ask that?

It's been a while but I don't think they did specifically. They did ask whether I am a foreign agent.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

KP sounds like the college students who stand out in the quad with posters.  :p

Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you.  Fight the man!

I'd rather be that than be blindly accepting of the USA Freedom Act or TPP.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

America is built on traditions that allow us to discuss, debate, and even ridicule our country, people, and especially government. If foreigners want to do the same, I'm secure enough in my belief of Amerikan Exceptionalism to not care.

There's plenty of faults but the USA is a very good country. I come from an immigrant and minority family. My parents escaped persecution and had to start over and work from the bottom when they immigrated and finally got decent middle class jobs working for the Post Office.

They earned citizenship and strongly encouraged higher postgraduate education in two of their three kids. One is a mid-management public policy bureaucrat in Capitol Hill and the other is a Lt. Col. in the USAF J.A.G. Corp.

Me, I'm the lazy asshat who got mediocre grades at a UC and spends too much time reading computer game oriented Internet message boards and also works for Uncle Sam on the side. (Debatable whether I passed my polygraph when they asked if I've ever been a card carrying member of the communist party)

So I suppose I'm a little biased.

Well I would like to pay you  a compliment, you often spend time explaining a point in more detail than I expect ...and I appreciate that .. :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

KP sounds like the college students who stand out in the quad with posters.   :p

Are those the only two options?

KP sounds like the college students who stand out in the quad with posters.   :p

Are those the only two options?

No, I hear being snarky on the internet or cynical apathy are also popular.

• Like 1

KP sounds like the college students who stand out in the quad with posters. :p

Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you. Fight the man!

And what would you suggest be done about those? Assuming you are concerned about them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, not a patriot. Canada's a nice place and all but when I see Canadian patriotism (rather amusingly the same thing these people turn up their noses at when Americans do it) it seems like watching some idiot sports fans. Speaking of which, Remembrance Day is next month - national circle jerk on Vimy Ridge and how we get to vote due to WWI, heh.

Canada does a lot right though, namely health care and general sense of wanting to care for everyone. But is rife with a lot of problems people apparently can't see, heh - again, the same thing they turn their noses up at the Americans for.

I appreciate your honesty, I have never been to Canada. I must say you guys seem to have a great place. I know South Africans who have immigrated there, they love it

Its a bit cold for me :)

We have some South African neighbours. Their daughter babysits my kids.

I always had an issue with the term Patriot due to its origins. The patriots rebelled against their country and tarred and feathered, stole the property of, and exiled the people who were loyal to theirs. These exiles were the founding Anglophone population of Canada.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think it is weird that people don't criticise their own countries more.

It's hot and there's too many flies.

"Not criticizing your own country " ....that definitely isn't something  that people can say about you hey my friend  ;)

John Milton 

KP sounds like the college students who stand out in the quad with posters. :p

Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you. Fight the man!

And what would you suggest be done about those? Assuming you are concerned about them.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with the quad protest route.  I am too old for it now, and in college too busy with work and trying to get laid, but I think college activism is an important part of our cultural identity.

But since you asked about KP's list, this is what I'm doing:

1.  Big Brother State - I try and vote for candidates that will not infringe on privacy.  It is not as easy as it sounds.  I teach my students about Habeas Corpus and how it is currently suspended for non-citizens.  Given that many of my students and their parents are non-citizens, that hits home.  We tend to talk about this stuff throughout the year.  It is not my job to preach at them though, I simply supply information and hope they develop critical thinking skills.

2.  Corporations - I try and support local and small businesses.  I sign those Change.org things on ocassion.  

3.  Foreign Wars - Again with the voting.  It isn't the taxes that bother me here, it is the fact we go in and make the same mistakes over and over again.  We need a new foreign policy.

4.  Corporate lobbyists - I'll support anyone who can get this crud out of politics.  Again I can vote with my wallet a bit here.

5.  I support local charities.

So yeah, I agree with KP on every problem.  That is why I said there was nothing wrong with him protesting in the quad.  It wasn't snark, it was just an observation that amused me.   :)

I do differ with him on one thing tremendously though.  I'm deeply in love with the US.  I think the good far outweighs the bad, and I have no desire to live anywhere else.  I love the diversity, I love the ingenuity, I love the open spaces and the busy cities.  

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

there is a world-wide myth o' "america, f*%$@ yeah" that has been perpetuated but that doesn't exist. watch tv shows and fbi agents is more often portrayed as buffoons than highly educated and competent.  the military?  the US military in tv and movies is as often portrayed as trigger happy maniacs as they is shown heroic. 

I don't know about the whole "'Murica **** yeah" myth as I've never been there. But you can find fictional representations of gov't agents and US soldiers as brave, selfless heroes just as easily as works depicting them as overweight dummies, remorseless killers or just ineffectual morons, depending on the scriptwriter's bent. Except IRS people. Those are universally reviled. It's like a modern day Gestapo or something.

Personally, I have had nothing but good experiences with Americans. Haven't had to deal with the US government yet, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think it is weird that people don't criticise their own countries more.

Would anyone really be interested in criticism of other countries though? I do it a fair bit on here but I don't imagine that people really care much about New Zealand's internal or external policies because we're simply too small, not something you can really accuse the US of being.

It's hot and there's too many flies.

Fair suck of the sav, cobber, you've got a bonza little country over there and that's fair dinkum.

Nevermind

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

there is a world-wide myth o' "america, f*%$@ yeah" that has been perpetuated but that doesn't exist. watch tv shows and fbi agents is more often portrayed as buffoons than highly educated and competent.  the military?  the US military in tv and movies is as often portrayed as trigger happy maniacs as they is shown heroic

I don't know about the whole "'Murica **** yeah" myth as I've never been there. But you can find fictional representations of gov't agents and US soldiers as brave, selfless heroes just as easily as works depicting them as overweight dummies, remorseless killers or just ineffectual morons, depending on the scriptwriter's bent. Except IRS people. Those are universally reviled. It's like a modern day Gestapo or something.

Personally, I have had nothing but good experiences with Americans. Haven't had to deal with the US government yet, though.

highlighted... 'cause apparent it were missed somehow.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps edit am thinking we can all agree that if all or virtual all depictions o' State agents were insulting, that would identify a complete different problem.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Something interesting occurred a while ago  and it made me think about something I wanted to ask

Ros was having a debate with Monte about the UK  system of government and as usual Ros was making a very interesting and compelling point and Monte got annoyed and basically said " I don't need advice about my country from someone who lives in Sweden " , it was a complete overreaction but it made me realize how most of us don't like foreigners giving us advice about our country or highlighting issues 

Yet it seems on a daily basis most of us give advice or criticize or scrutinize the USA and its policies and culture...and yet you guys never seem to get annoyed?

Why is that? Are you use to it...do you ignore it..I'm interested in how our American members feel about non-Americas often discussing the USA  8)

Why would the fact that criticism came from a foreigner make it any less valid? Any input they have is welcome far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Why would the fact that criticism came from a foreigner make it any less valid? Any input they have is welcome far as I'm concerned.

But you have a very strange view of American interventionism....you dont believe the USA should ever intervene in other countries  it seems unless the USA is directly threatened ? Thats a little irresponsible I would think  :biggrin:

John Milton