Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

The fact that you two agree just means I'm 5% more likely to be right.. and since I was already at 100%  probablity I'm now at 105%. THANKS!

:biggrin: You funny

Volo I was hoping you would make this easy and just agree but there has been extensive research  done that confirms what I am saying. I can post the link if you doubt this but then I would be PROVING I'm right and you know how I hate being right  :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know Volo, I didn't even see anyone from Variety at our latest Social Justice Clubhouse meeting.  Ooops, I mean, what social justice clubhouse?  I definitely didn't snack on any gluten free quinoa granola or drink kombucha served in mason jars.   :thumbsup:

Hurlshot I have to add I always chuckle when I see you being called a SJW, its a title I believe you initially tried to resist. How do you feel about it now?...welcome to the club :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Labels are just for people who are too lazy to actually engage in conversation. 

I thought you would be more defensive but I should have realized you would respond in a reasonable and accurate way  :thumbsup:

Let me ask you the question a different way, does it bother you that people assume you are SJW. But lets be realistic about the word SJW. That only exists on the Internet as an insult really, its not seen as a positive. I don't tell people I'm a SJW I say " I'm committed to SJ causes in RL and I take this seriously "

So do you consider yourself someone who supports SJ in RL and how would you feel if most people on these forums based on your general posting etiquette assumed that about you? I think this would be considered something positive but for some this is seen as a negative...so how do you feel or maybe you don't feel your posts are particular SJ supportive?

John Milton 

A non sequitur but kind of funny. Apparently at Yale there was a fuss about Halloween costumes and the administrator here didn't come down hard enough on offensive ones. But mostly funny for the

raging and some guy yelling Retweet! :p

https://youtu.be/9IEFD_JVYd0

Yale? 

Witness the future leaders of your country, my fellow americans. 

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

A non sequitur but kind of funny. Apparently at Yale there was a fuss about Halloween costumes and the administrator here didn't come down hard enough on offensive ones. But mostly funny for the

Yale? 

Witness the future leaders of you country, my fellow americans. 

I watched that video, in South Africa at the moment we have had these highly misinformed, irritating, disruptive and utterly unreasonable student protests where despite our government agreeing to no fee increase, despite not having the money to offer this, the students then demanded no...." now we want free tertiary education " !!!!...and trust me our government cannot afford that ...we have so many governmental failed initiatives and economic pressures on our country we have literally NO extra money for something as expensive as free varsity for entitled students who don't actually care about where the money comes from....they don't because they just expect our government to just pay

Its so irritating...its exasperating. But you know whats worse having to read articles like this written by these black racists who resent white people and blame them for the woes of all black South Africans

What do you think about this article

http://vanguardmagazine.co.za/what-feesmustfall-teaches-us-about-racism/

John Milton 

I don't understand. Why would there be racial animosity in South Africa.

I'm not sure if you being sarcastic but I would like to get your opinion because of your own personal experiences in Oz and your links to the Aborigines...I may  be missing something about this but I doubt it. Its very simple to me, I believe in a multi-racial country, I believe in the growing black middle class, I have black friends and I have white friends and I believe in the multi-racial economic transformation of the country. I reject racism when I encounter it from white South Africans but luckily I move in circles where people are also committed to the country and are obviously not racist  

Yet to her I resent and hold black people down, she is the first black racist in South Africa I have ever acknowledged as normal " racist " comments you sometimes hear from black people are based more on frustration and the fact they think white people don't like them. This is different to the historic and systemic racism you see from white supremacists and Aryans who really think  black people are inferior genetically

But I can answer the question if you are being serious but I would like to know what you think about the article and please be honest :) 

John Milton 

Yale? 

Sideshow-Bob_simpsons.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

We need another world war and the draft. Then again... Drafting SJWs gave us Mussolini.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Fragile "feels before reals" millennials trying to reenact Mao's Cultural Revolution... :blink:

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Yale? 

We need another world war and the draft. Then again... Drafting SJWs gave us Mussolini.

Fragile "feels before reals" millennials trying to reenact Mao's Cultural Revolution... blink.png

It seems the only group more melodramatic than the SJWs is the anti-SJWs.
  • Like 3

Agree that those statements are pretty dramatic, but the fact that this sort of behavior can fly with no condemnation from anybody beyond the comments on Reddit and twitter is pretty telling about the way things currently are.

• Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

There was a time when a student would (rightfully) be disciplined, possibly expelled, for going on such an expletive-laden tirade toward a faculty member (who showed exceptional tolerance and decorum in remaining calm in the face of that).  Sadly, that time has passed and we live in an age where harpies like this are coddled and enabled, instead of disciplined, like they should be.  This does not bode well for the future.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

There was a time when a student would (rightfully) be disciplined, possibly expelled, for going on such an expletive-laden tirade toward a faculty member (who showed exceptional tolerance and decorum in remaining calm in the face of that).  Sadly, that time has passed and we live in an age where harpies like this are coddled and enabled, instead of disciplined, like they should be.  This does not bode well for the future.

There is a word for it. Privilege. These harpies hold all the social power. What they get away with normal people don't.

That's not necessarily true; if the college or university has a "free speech" space and they were at it the student could say whatever they want.  Also, generally speaking, colleges tend to try and give students leeway when not dealing with incidents "in-class" in the idea that their can be something learned from the moment.

That said, I've read about the Yale Halloween stuff.  Essentially the university sent an email out reminding people not to dress up in blackface or yellowface or be culturally insensitive with costumes.  A faculty member then expressed that students should be allowed to be offensive with their costumes; her husband backed it up.  That led to the confrontation between that husband and some students.  Looking at that, I doubt Yale would do anything to the student for what she said.

Also apparently Variety removed the line from the Fallout article without actually doing a correction to the piece which has a lot of people more angry than making the mistake in the first place.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's not necessarily true; if the college or university has a "free speech" space and they were at it the student could say whatever they want.  Also, generally speaking, colleges tend to try and give students leeway when not dealing with incidents "in-class" in the idea that their can be something learned from the moment.

I'm all for allowing "free speech", but in my opinion, that should mean being allowed to express your ideas and ideals freely without fear of punishment from those that do not share your beliefs, even if those people are faculty members.  That should not, however, allow for students to yell expletives at the top of their lungs in a faculty members face.  You can express your beliefs and concerns without being crass, vulgar, and belligerent.  100 or even 50 years ago such an outburst toward a faculty member would not be tolerated and would most certainly be punished, rightfully so, in my opinion.  It seems discipline and decorum don't exist any more and it's sad.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm all for allowing "free speech", but in my opinion, that should mean being allowed to express your ideas and ideals freely without fear of punishment from those that do not share your beliefs, even if those people are faculty members.  That should not, however, allow for students to yell expletives at the top of their lungs in a faculty members face.  You can express your beliefs and concerns without being crass, vulgar, and belligerent.  100 or even 50 years ago such an outburst toward a faculty member would not be tolerated and would most certainly be punished, rightfully so, in my opinion.

Again, that's just not true.  Yes 100 or 50 years ago it could have led to punishment, that doesn't mean that it would excepting perhaps military college which have always had more stringent enforcement of rules of conduct.  And again an outburst "in class" to a faculty member is totally different from an outburst involving residential faculty in a courtyard on campus with a student.  Context is very important when considering student disciplinary matters and a "one size fits all approach" is rarely utilized with student disciplinary issues with the exceptions of situations that involve criminal acts or happen in the classroom.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Meh. It's a bunch of upper-class kids screaming about nothing and who will do nothing but tweet about it. Dude should just tell them to **** off and leave it at that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yale? 

Fragile "feels before reals" millennials trying to reenact Mao's Cultural Revolution... blink.png

It seems the only group more melodramatic than the SJWs is the anti-SJWs.

Not all frogs notice when the water starts to get warmer in the kettle. Too bad no one in authority seems to dare to turn the heat off.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Meh. It's a bunch of upper-class kids screaming about nothing and who will do nothing but tweet about it. Dude should just tell them to **** off and leave it at that.

Do we know its a bunch of "upper-class" kids?  Yale (and Ivy League schools in general) don't have ridiculously high admissions requirements and presumably would have tuition assistance in addition to financial aid to pull in highly qualified but poorer students into their freshman population.

Most faculty members (and particularly ones without iron clad tenure) aren't going to tell a student to **** off.  Just not going to happen.

• Like 1

Her remark that it's not about creating an intellectual space is enough, really. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra