Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Since all these SJWs in gaming are always talking about this mystical 'privilege'....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

...Said he, somehow managing to miss the point completely.

lol

Aside from having fun with the narrative breaking apart when facing reality, i do hope that this development will be reversed, because otherwise we will have a quite bumpy road ahead of us. No more dinner-party political solutions about GG, but rather problems like a generation of men being disenfranchised from society, which will lead to communities collapsing, which leads to institutions crumbling, which in turn will inevitably lead to caesarism.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Since all these SJWs in gaming are always talking about this mystical 'privilege'....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

Aside from having fun with the narrative breaking apart when facing reality, i do hope that this development will be reversed, because otherwise we will have a quite bumpy road ahead of us. 

"Development"? You seriously think poor people haven't always got the short end of the stick as far as their options go in life? That this is some sort of revelatory new development?

Not to mention that the data, if anything, supports the existence of privilege.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Harper definitely is a BSD dev with that attitude.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Aside from having fun with the narrative breaking apart when facing reality, i do hope that this development will be reversed, because otherwise we will have a quite bumpy road ahead of us. 

"Development"? You seriously think poor people haven't always got the short end of the stick as far as their options go in life? That this is some sort of revelatory new development?

Not to mention that the data, if anything, supports the existence of privilege.

I think we're talking about different things here. I am talking about having shaudenfruede over the narrative of white males have all the privilege in the world being not so true, and funnily so, and with a cherry on top they seem to have difficulty understanding why compared to the case of any other other ethnicity, sex or sexual minority.

The problem with the current development is not something new, of course not. What i am worried about is when it is rising, and historically speaking it leads to all kinds of troubles. That being said, i am not at all against hierarchy. People are inheritly different and greatness comes from overcoming oneself; hierarchy is a representation of what individuals will aspire to be and overcome it. This implies great social mobility based on merit of course.

Back to topic:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/01/have-you-played-myst/

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think we're talking about different things here. I am talking about having shaudenfruede over the narrative of white males have all the privilege in the world being not so true, and funnily so, and with a cherry on top they seem to have difficulty understanding why compared to the case of any other other ethnicity, sex or sexual minority.

Well the problem with your position is that we either take the GCSE grades as a poor predictor of overall future competence and subsequent life success, in which case the statistics do little to "debunk the narrative of white males having all the privilege in the world" (which mainly only exists in the imagination of those who never bothered to familiarize themselves with the subject of privilege in all but the most cursory manner, but I digress), or we take it as a good predictor thereof, which raises the question why are white males so disproportionally represented in high-paying, high-prestige positions when, based on our predictor, they should be the second least numerous (assuming such positions are awarded solely on the basis of merit alone, of course).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

CSlq7y_UUs_AAdp_Bs.png

"My control".

A shame, really.

If Randi had been allowed to control the SXSW "online harassment summit", it could have become quite a fun (and disastrous for the anti-GG side) spectacle... :D

In the hands of SJWs with more moderation and self-control, it'll probably be just another boring recitation of platitudes and feel-good declarations...

Whaaaaaa?  One of the SJW sociopaths (just this one, not accusing anyone else) outing herself in manipulating the media

Eh, just because Randi admits to a conspiracy doesn't mean it's real. She is prone to lying and boasting, after all.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

which raises the question why are white males so disproportionally represented in high-paying, high-prestige positions when, based on our predictor, they should be the second least numerous

Maybe because GCSE scores of today don't predict top industry positions of today... they predict top industry positions in 30 years.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

which raises the question why are white males so disproportionally represented in high-paying, high-prestige positions when, based on our predictor, they should be the second least numerous

Maybe because GCSE scores of today don't predict top industry positions of today... they predict top industry positions in 30 years.

So you're saying that 30 years ago, white women were, on average, literally dumber compared to their male peers than they are now?

Because you can maybe explain the race issue with vigorous handwaving and "30 years ago, we had a less numerous population of them" (which I'd respectfully doubt, but it's not like I'm willing to look for statistics on the academic success of Britain's nonwhite population in the '80s), but the fact that white women have much better GCSE scores than white guys yet they're not exactly prevalent in top industry positions might be an indicator that those scores predict exactly jack and **** about who will fill those positions 30 years down the line.

Well, that, or the intellectual capabilities of women somehow managed to improve dramatically faster in the last 30 years than those of men. But my money is on the former.

The tests have changed.  Thuings have been changed to make  minorities and women succeed. On top of that, it is not surprising white males who are poor do worse. When a poor minority does badly whitey is blamed. When a poor white person does badly whitey is blamed. When in doubt blame Whitey. And, who are you gonna help or gear improvements for? the perosn who is doing bad because of others or the eprson doing badly just because? EASY CHOICE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The tests have changed.  Thuings have been changed to make  minorities and women succeed.

Do you even know what the GCSE is?

But even if we accept your - frankly pretty absurd - supposition, we're back to "these grades are actually not a very good predictor of competence".

It's a proven fact that  the education system has been changed over the years. There is a reason for that. The fact you are butthurt about it says a lot.

It has shown that boys tend to learn better by doing yet there is a constant push to tie kids to chairs. There are reasons why more and more kids are being diagnosed as ADHD. Cause it is an easy thing to throw a label on someone instead of, you know, actually helping and teachig.

One size fits all is not just false when it comes to show size. :)

Edited by Volourn

Kids are way less tied to their seats than they used to be. It is standard pedagogy to get kids moving, talking, and interacting with materials. Not always easy with 35 kids in a room, but it happens.

I saw some classrooms adopt standing tables with some sort of pedal for the kids to let out nervous energy. They can of course sit down at their leisure when they feel tired.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well I would love some furniture that wasn't as old as the school itself.  Our tables and chairs seem to be designed to be as uncomfortable as possible.  But getting a district to replace furniture in every classroom is an uphill battle, I'm guessing I'll get new stuff the year before I retire.  

Well I would love some furniture that wasn't as old as the school itself.  Our tables and chairs seem to be designed to be as uncomfortable as possible.  But getting a district to replace furniture in every classroom is an uphill battle, I'm guessing I'll get new stuff the year before I retire.  

Yes the world is a dreary and bleak place, that's why people have kittens and children.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well I would love some furniture that wasn't as old as the school itself. Our tables and chairs seem to be designed to be as uncomfortable as possible. But getting a district to replace furniture in every classroom is an uphill battle, I'm guessing I'll get new stuff the year before I retire.

I wish education funding was more of a priority. My kid has to bring her garbage home from her lunch because the school couldn't afford the garbage pickup, and we got a notice that we need to send $7 or she won't be able to participate in the owl pellet dissection for her science unit. (which is crap, if its part of the curriculum we aren't supposed to be required to pay anything)

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thuings have been changed to make  minorities and women succeed.

It's a proven fact that  the education system has been changed over the years. There is a reason for that. The fact you are butthurt about it says a lot.

It has shown that boys tend to learn better by doing yet there is a constant push to tie kids to chairs. 

So according to you, there are no asian boys, they're all cleverly disguised girls. Because, as we know, the education system has been changed to make women and minorities succeed by sabotaging boys with the constant push to tie kids to chairs. Thus, we can conclude that white boys do worse than asian and chinese boys because they're secretly girls! It all makes sense now!

Do we REALLY need to go into the ancient asian stereotype?

\

This doesn't change the fact that schools have changed to aid minorities do better. This has been admitted multiple times by those in charge. Inlcuding by women who agree with my mansplaining - boys ar ebing left behind in the education system. It's certainly not because girls are inherently smarter right? That would be SEXIST right? And, Nazi SJWs liek you would never approve of such a sexist believe right?

\

\So, why do YOU think boys are performing worse? COME ON. Say it. You know you want. Show your true colours. :)

You nazi SJWs talk a good game about how 'everyone is equal' but you don't actually believe that nonsense but youa re not equalists. You are sexist, racists, and bigots. And, nazis. But that goes without saying.

Schools change to help whichever demographics are struggling.  At my predominantly Asian school, we are supposed to focus on raising the test scores of the white kids, because they perform lower than anyone else.

Volo is becoming harder to read than Gromnir.   :p

Realistically though, the good teachers just focus on helping whoever needs it the most, regardless of race or gender.  But superintendents, administrators, and talking heads need stuff say in order to justify their salaries.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

GCSEs are worthless and an utter failure, even old O level equivalent results are now pathetically easy, there is a generation of people leaving school without any of the basic proficiencies that we expected as standard thirty years ago. Why? In my opinion because every government has meddled with teaching, tried untested methods and held an almost vicious antipathy towards teachers. This is sadly why I have mainly been employing foreigners, though this is also because of their get up and go, which shames the English competition.

Then again with GCSEs being nearly worthless (and degrees becoming ever more devalued,) there has been a shift to enthusiasm, determination, actual experience and single minded focusing on a task which really transcends education. Also almost autistic focus on a single objective is primarily a male thing i've found, there are i'm sure many women with a similar focus but I see it more with men, women are better all rounders generally.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Schools change to help whichever demographics are struggling. At my predominantly Asian school, we are supposed to focus on raising the test scores of the white kids, because they perform lower than anyone else.

Volo is becoming harder to read than Gromnir. :p

Realistically though, the good teachers just focus on helping whoever needs it the most, regardless of race or gender. But superintendents, administrators, and talking heads need stuff say in order to justify their salaries.

Ah remembering a prof saying he would only help those doing well and the C and D students could go to hell. Small wonder no one was sad when cancer took him.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Karl-Marx-1200x675.png

They got the beard wrong. Can Ubisoft do anything right?

No.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands