Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Twitter is a privately owned company, they can do whatever they want in this regard.  Whether that is the smartest business decision is another matter, as the more they limit it, the more they may open up space for competitors.  But yeah, hardly a harbinger of doom.

If they go by the recently released independent report on supposed harassment by Gamergate, then the miniscule amount of pruned content will probably not amount to a hill of beans. However pinpointing offensive content, well I think we all know that is a fools errand, if one is of a mind one could remove almost everything anyone ever said or discussed.

Obsidian are giving away a pig companion pet as a thank you to their backers: Islamophobia.

Star Wars hype reaches fever pitch: I don't condone the mass genocide of all the endangered Maori clones that the rebel alliance thoughtlessly slaughter.

Good morning everybody: It is not a good morning for me, none is, and how dare you force your diurnal normative privilege on me, I identify as a vampire nightkin.

Goodnight everybody: How dare you! Everybody knows that I am both afraid of the dark and an insomniac, I find your post offensive and triggering.

Had a very fine meal today: PEOPLE ARE STARVING YOU EXPLETIVE!

Popped in the local for a quick pint: Alcoholism is no laughing matter, i'm triggered.

I'm quite good at this. I think a determined team of trolls could really wreak havoc on Twitter by highlighting and manipulating this new form of censorship. However I hope that legitimate means of internet freedom of speech remains open for individuals whom are oppressed by their governments, or involved in freedom fighting/bringing to light state secrets such as Mr Snowden.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, who cares if the Arab Spring depended on Twitter for people to organize? Who cares whenever major private companies try to control the flow of information? No one.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well I think we can all agree that what is most important is that we are safe to dance, safety dance...everybody look at your hands...we can dance, we can dance...everything's out of control...

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's over.

https://twitter.com/enemylimes/status/657118739972755457

https://8ch.net/gamergatehq/res/290449.html#290449

Twitter is experimenting with a software that contains "harmful" content from being viewed or showed in the newsfeed. It proves to be quite scalable and effective.

Yeah, who cares if the Arab Spring depended on Twitter for people to organize? Who cares whenever major private companies try to control the flow of information? No one.

Dont you think you are egregiously exaggerating....yes Social Media did play a certain part in updating people in some countries around the Arab Spring but it wasn't what implemented the change we saw in some countries. The positive change we did see  were  people acting and doing things in RL. In other words social media isn't as important or influential as you seem to think 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce's wet dream of a totalitarian world where we're all told what to do, where to go, who to associate with, what to believe, what we can and can't say, what we are allowed to eat, what time of day we are allowed to take out regimented 3 minute shower, and what color of issued uniform we are allowed to wear, for the greater good, of course, is one small step closer to reality.  Rejoice!

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bruce's wet dream of a totalitarian world where we're all told what to do, where to go, who to associate with, what to believe, what we can and can't say, what we are allowed to eat, what time of day we are allowed to take out regimented 3 minute shower, and what color of issued uniform we are allowed to wear, for the greater good, of course, is one small step closer to reality.  Rejoice!

I do think more Federal  influence in the states in a place like the USA  is a good thing but not as extreme as you are describing....you are also exaggerating  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Indeed in my opinion this is one of the side effects of a press that has given up any notion of objectivity and free speech, indeed almost all of the media in those countries were state owned and controlled, making other means of organisation vital. Of course word of mouth is important, but that is a limited and flawed method of communication. One cannot underestimate how important social media was in those countries struggles for freedom.

It is worrying to see how Gamergate has been villified and demonised unfairly by the lying media in the west, and a certain sign that they have abandoned objectivity, and are only a step or two from state owned institutions (not least the BBC) that we see the world over. From there it seems but a small step to a Ministry of Truth, and a boot stamping down on a face forever. Then again one does not miss what one has until it is gone.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

So you want to protect freedom by controlling major private companies?

There are a gajillion social media options out there.  Twitter will not be at the top forever, and if they make moves that end up making themselves obsolete, they get to hang out with Myspace in the has been pile.  Sounds like a win-win.  

• Like 1

So you want to protect freedom by controlling major private companies?

There are a gajillion social media options out there.  Twitter will not be at the top forever, and if they make moves that end up making themselves obsolete, they get to hang out with Myspace in the has been pile.  Sounds like a win-win.  

The thing is that the general public is not likely to leave Twitter because of disinformation or because they censor issues that they don't really care about. Most people don't use Twitter because of political reasons or to stay informed about great events. Most people just want to look at what celebrities say or what event is trending and leave their stupid opinion about it.

So when the real important issues are denied a platform to reach people its a censorship issue that should concern people because their world is getting smaller and more restricted.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

CPZGHN0UcAAz9Zs.png

:biggrin:

It's rather depressing, to me at least, that this image is incomplete. At the same time "video nasties" were being villified and blamed for societies and individuals ills, along with rock music, rap music etc. It spirals back far into history, with the same message repeated over and over, that of control, villification and demonisation. Novelists and satirists were shamed by society, letter writing and the royal mail that allowed women sheltered by society to experience a far wider world was denounced, film was dismissed as vulgar and crass, the translation of the bible led to William Tyndales death on charges of heresy.

One can almost see a pattern here, to deny any pleasures, any knowledge or any advancement of the common man or woman. To deny them any releases or passtimes not judged worthy, and make them ashamed of themselves for indulging in anything not sponsored by those whom "know better." I do not believe this is in any way intentional, but it may well speak to how the upper classes and those in power (like the current crop of trust fund baby SJFs) look down on their fellow men. With ill disguised contempt, fear and loathing. The mob must be kept in its place, and satiated with the simple pleasures of bread and circus rather than pursue anything restricted or dangerous.

Tea for the teapot!

The thing is that the general public is not likely to leave Twitter because of disinformation or because they censor issues that they don't really care about. Most people don't use Twitter because of political reasons or to stay informed about great events. Most people just want to look at what celebrities say or what event is trending and leave their stupid opinion about it.

So when the real important issues are denied a platform to reach people its a censorship issue that should concern people because their world is getting smaller and more restricted.

What are the real important issues that are being denied a platform?

• Like 1

Issues denied a platform? Anything not reported on, not attractive to the ideology of the reporters or their establishments, not judged as important, or that is dangerous in revealing the medias hypocrisy and lack of ethics. Anything that is not judged to be a hit worthy story really, all of these can be brought to light through other means. I'm personally thinking of the equal pay and benefits denied to our loyal Gurkhas, not a newsworthy story for decades, until a tireless celebrity helped bring it to the spotlight partly through social media and the mass media had to finally report on it.

"Morally correct." A phrase used by an unethical and corrupt profession to pour scorn on a harmless passtime. Shame those whom show any thought but those we judge to be correct, Room 101 beckons for such thought crime. One wonders however how these reporters walk down any inner city street at night with young ladies half falling out of their clothes at every corner, and how morally incorrect they think these people are.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

jeISUH6.jpg

"morally correct"

Do these people realize they have turned into their fathers?

:lol:

Yeah...I do find the words  " morally correct "  difficult to quantify in a gaming context 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

If the removal of the clothing choices were morally correct for the western audience, why isn't it morally correct for the Japanese audience?

Don't get me wrong, its Nintendo's game to censor or not and I have no issue with self-censorship, but the logical disconnect there is confounding.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh I understand why Nintendo is doing it, I don't know why the author who used the term "morally correct" about the decision seems to have no issue with the clothes provided its contained to the Japanese market.  Its a weird article.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Weirdos writing a lot of gaming articles these days, so makes sense.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Nintendo is avoiding the drama and thinking of "western sensibilities". Take one guess where they get all that from."

They aren't thinking of western sensibilities. Theya re thinking of an extremly loud minority. Nazi SJWs are a tiny % of the pop. Feminists are also a minority even amongst women and even amongst feminists they can't even make up their mind whether or not skimpy outfits is sexist or not.

meanwhile, our new PM in Kanda is being labeled as s'exy', 'hot'   and other phrases that if used towards a female politician  would draw a lot of righteous anger. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.