What you did today

Blarghagh

I'm flying to the coast in few hours to see my family and coming back on Sunday. I have taken leave for today and I am looking forward to a  few days of  fun in the sun and spending time just relaxing  :dancing:

I have never ever shown you guys what Durban looks like, its a coastal town and has many cool restaurants and bars right on the beach. Here are some  images that someone else has taken and I think they do an accurate job of covering what Durban is like 

http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-photos/durban.html

I can see that SA stands for more than just 'South Africa'.  8)

SA_zpsbegumzvy.png

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Just out of curiosity I was looking at how much it would cost to go to England for the Rugby World Cup. Wow. Now that pay per view doesn't seem so bad.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just came back from my grandmothers funeral, on the way home Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell began to play on the radio, so now I've decided to spend a few hours looking for the best "funerally" metal song I can find.

Any tips?

Starting with Hallowed be thy name.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just came back from my grandmothers funeral, on the way home Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell began to play on the radio, so now I've decided to spend a few hours looking for the best "funerally" metal song I can find.

Any tips?

Starting with Hallowed be thy name.

My condolences, Azedus.  Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails made a song about his grandmother -which he loved dearly- when she died. It's just not a very well known fact for those who aren't diehard NIN fans. 

And I've been to the doc, he said that the ribcage not being symmetrical is pretty normal, but I get a chest x-ray just to make sure. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thank you.

She showed her sisu 'til the end, she went for 4 days without food, water or medicine before passing on. Wish the law would allow one to help people in a more humane way than that. :(

Good track that, much appreciated - I'm going to remember it!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My condolences as well, Azdeus. :( My grandpa is in for heart surgery on Monday, and they have to stop his heart for a short while while they do the procedure, and there's always the chance of him not waking up...so I'd like to see him before that, but I have the flu, and there's no way I'm taking the chance of bringing the flu into a VA clinic and possibly killing a bunch of old veterans. Praying everything turns out for the best...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My condolences as well, Azdeus. :( My grandpa is in for heart surgery on Monday, and they have to stop his heart for a short while while they do the procedure, and there's always the chance of him not waking up...so I'd like to see him before that, but I have the flu, and there's no way I'm taking the chance of bringing the flu into a VA clinic and possibly killing a bunch of old veterans. Praying everything turns out for the best...

Thank you, I respect that you consider the vets health before - I know of people who would'nt. I would've liked to give my last goodbyes, but noone in my family saw it fit to inform me how bad her condition actually were (It was her sixth or so hospital visit this year, and noone told me she was in intensive care)

Hope it works out for your grandpa. =)

Yeah, I'm getting a ridiculous amount of pressure to see him by my family before the surgery...but it's like...I'm not seeing him because I WANT him to see him again...just after the surgery actually happens. And I absolutely don't want to endanger anyone else there. So if things go wrong...well, that's that. They could've gone horribly wrong already: that's life. Thanks for the blessings.

That's rough that nobody told you anything. My mom had that happen to her with her grandma...her health had been failing for months, but she only got the news after it was already too late to see her again. Just seems so inconsiderate...but in reality, most of the time, people are just more concerned with the person actually dying than the feelings of others who want to see them for one last time. Sucks...but that's how it goes, I guess.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

A relatives passing has always been for me a very mixed experience, one sees the best and worst of people at such times, and it usually serves to reinforce ones particular feelings on an individual disappointingly enough. My commiserations.

The Rugby world cup has been so far an absolutely fantastic experience, and thanks to the acquisition of VIP tickets from an old player contact, the games have been an absolute pleasure to watch. Along with some first class catering and service, I was quite impressed by Englands technical ability in their first victory, though Fiji showed great heart and potential.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

People who say physical strength is useless nowadays should be spanked with a stinky fish. 

Relocated a tree, about 3 meters tall, but deep roots. I failed to use my shovel because the roots were freaking everywhere and stones prevented me from getting in. Digging it out without killing it seemed impossible. Solution? Lift. 

I grabbed the tree on its base, feet a little more than shoulder width apart, dead lift stance, took a deep breath, pre-flexed my abs and back and pulled. Felt exactely like a 250kg / 550lbs deadlift, after a couple of seconds with a satisfying ''rrrrrriiiip'' I pulled it out, with all the stones and dirt still on it, none of the major roots were damaged.  Woot!  :w00t:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

My shins are absolutely killing me.

Decided to see how high an tempo I could keep while working yesterday, wich meant that I ran the vast majority of the time. Did'nt beat my speed record though since some asshat and his walking fleshlight decided to steal my cart and use it as an impromptu wagon. After thrashing him I had to get a new stack of papers from the loading bay since they were unfit to deliver - wich cost me alot of time.

Anyway, did'nt know I could feel pain in this way. Walking is a awful.

• Like 1

I deliver newspapers and such :)

It's decent enough, you don't get alot of hours in, but you get paid to exercise and I generally don't have to deal with people since it's nights. There's always a risk of drunken idiots though, but this is the first time in 6 months anything has happened.

So, some guy in a funny hat is coming to town tomorrow, and the whole city is losing their **** over it.  I'm willing to risk tomorrow, as Señor Preachy isn't scheduled to arrive until 4PM or so, but it looks like I'll be home Wednesday and Thursday.  Unfortunately, the tyke's daycare being in my office building means that I'll be spending my time off chasing an 18-month-old around, rather than working from home or relaxing.  It sucks to be burning through my leave time balances for something like this, but it's worthwhile if I can avoid any chance of being stuck in a 2-hour commute with the youngin' in the car.

(Aside: pope.dc.gov is probably the greatest government url I've ever seen.) 

I deliver newspapers and such original.gif

It's decent enough, you don't get alot of hours in, but you get paid to exercise and I generally don't have to deal with people since it's nights. There's always a risk of drunken idiots though, but this is the first time in 6 months anything has happened.

Do you do that by bicycle? Doing it at night sounds pretty nice, actually...as long as there are no harsh winters to deal with. wink.png

@Enoch: that page won't even load for me. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

So, some guy in a funny hat is coming to town tomorrow, and the whole city is losing their **** over it.  I'm willing to risk tomorrow, as Señor Preachy isn't scheduled to arrive until 4PM or so, but it looks like I'll be home Wednesday and Thursday.  Unfortunately, the tyke's daycare being in my office building means that I'll be spending my time off chasing an 18-month-old around, rather than working from home or relaxing.  It sucks to be burning through my leave time balances for something like this, but it's worthwhile if I can avoid any chance of being stuck in a 2-hour commute with the youngin' in the car.

(Aside: pope.dc.gov is probably the greatest government url I've ever seen.) 

Its for a good cause....its not so bad and its only 1 or 2 days right. I am agnostic but I can see these  types of events bring joy and happiness to many people. Plus this Pope seems like the real deal....he rejects wealth and opulence and washes the feet of inmates in South American jails. I do respect the man because he seems to be a really nice guy...except for his unfair criticisms of Capitalism

Anyway I think its exciting for you, I hope you find someway to enjoy it  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you do that by bicycle? Doing it at night sounds pretty nice, actually...as long as there are no harsh winters to deal with. wink.png

On foot, there are too many frequent stops for a bike and too many narrow gates and such. I'm glad I did'nt have a bike when they stole my cart. Having to run down a cart is bad enough, a bike would just be gone =)

Hehe, it's good, I have'nt had to deal with any harsh winter conditions yet, but rain ain't too bad. The plastic cover on the cart that squeaks against the weels, but that's the biggest annoyance I have to deal with.

I'm shocked people still buy physical newspapers!

I'd rather read physical papers myself, no screen glare for one, and I don't have to worry about dropping it or breaking it.

Sales are going down though, wich is why they are going to reorganize the districts to be bigger.

Edit; I really have no idea why it's attributing Bartimaeus to Gfted1's quote. -.-

Yay, it fixed itself

Edited by Azdeus

I'm shocked people still buy physical newspapers!

Yeah in South Africa its very common 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

snip

Switch to BBCode Mode (light switch button at the very top left of the posting prompt) when you want actual full control over what you're posting...particularly if you're dealing with quotes. It still really quite displeases me that you can't use BBCode Mode full-time, because it arbitrarily disables all other buttons for literally no reason - a million other forums allow everything else to still work while in BBCode Mode - but if you want greater control of the raw text, that's the way to do it. wink.png

Ah, I have extremely weak achilles tendons because of the unusual way I walk (my heels never touch the ground: people call it "walking on your toes", but really, it's walking more on the "palms" of your feet - or whatever you would call the area of your feet that would be the equivalent location of the palms of your hands)...so walking for long durations becomes extremely uncomfortable for me. Biking is fun and super easy, though. tongue.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Sounds like your achilles tendons are too short. Had that when I was a teenager, and I too walked on my toes for a while until my feet started to hurt really bad. 

The best way to correct that problem is standing on stairs with your toes and slowly lowering yourself, repeatedly.  You can add weights once you feel comfortable. 

Weight lifting does that too, no way you could deadlift any weight while standing on your toes. 

In any case, walking like that will lead to severe problems down the road, you'll get the same issues many women have after years of wearing high heels all the time - Arthritis in your toes and forefoot until you cant walk anymore and have to eat painkillers like cereals.- 

Edited by Woldan