What you did today

Blarghagh

So I have to ask, in all the univese are only we humans the special snowflakes that experience an afterlife? What about the beings in Alpha Centari? Or my dog? Do they make the cut? :lol: We humans are so arrogant we cant possibly accept the fact that when we die its over. Were so important that we MUST exist for eternity!!!!! :no: I hope the afterlife is like an infinite bag of holding because at the rate were pumping out souls its going to fill up fast.

• Like 1

To quote my favorite American philosopher Will Rogers "If there are no dogs in heaven then when I die I want to go wherever they went"

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You never know Hurlshot. The universe is huge and by our standards old. But maybe by the standards of other life maybe not so old. It stands to reason there is other life on other worlds orbiting other stars. Maybe even our own star. But it's curious no one ever considers the possibility that we may be the most advanced life form in the universe. Perhaps we are closer to reaching them than they are to reaching us.

I have to admit, if it turned out we are the king of the universal hill is would be a bit of a letdown.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Decided to get rid of the surplus chocolates to coworkers, but am having a little experiment. Given that it is immediately after Halloween and this is a tradition (or what passes for one in this office), I just left them in a pile on a desk. No one's even taken one yet, just walking past it.

Hopefully someone will bring in Reese's pieces, plan is to secure all of them before anyone else can get them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But it's curious no one ever considers the possibility that we may be the most advanced life form in the universe. 

The 'Rare Earth Hypothesis' pretty much builds on that thesis, as in Earth is simply in the right time, right place, right orbit, right galaxy, with the right laws of physics to allow life.. And most likely pretty alone because of it.

The reason why it's often disregarded is that it's a fairly human centric reasoning - and it's generally not a great idea to conclude that what you're observing is unique, without a sufficient sample size.

Fortune favors the bald.

Most renown scientists are pretty sure that given the size of the universe more life is inevitable and I agree with them. Of course, there is no right or wrong as we simply don't know and have no relevant data to base our speculations on.  All  we know is that simple life exists on very extreme places on earth, and you don't need much or very precious materials to form the most basic lifeforms. Intelligent life is another story, the problem is that a lot of planets are very unstable making life evolve into what we consider ''intelligent'' very very difficult as it gets destroyed prematurely.  

Mars, for example. Or earth too, several times almost all life was wiped out due to global catastrophes. 

Whats very interesting is the thought of intelligence that is far greater than ours.  Our brain is so big and developed it creates a vast amount consciousness, now I wonder what happens if you'd amplify that by a factor of 1000.  Whats ''More'' consciousness? 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

But it's curious no one ever considers the possibility that we may be the most advanced life form in the universe. 

The 'Rare Earth Hypothesis' pretty much builds on that thesis, as in Earth is simply in the right time, right place, right orbit, right galaxy, with the right laws of physics to allow life.. And most likely pretty alone because of it.

The reason why it's often disregarded is that it's a fairly human centric reasoning - and it's generally not a great idea to conclude that what you're observing is unique, without a sufficient sample size.

Well it might be true if you limit the scope to life that resembles humans closely. But there is just no guessing what form intelligent alien life might take, if any. The might be Silicoids. (Congrats if you get that reference! :lol: )

Also only 200 or so extrasolar planets have been identified and most of those are gas giants but as you pointed out it's still way too early to hypothesize there isn't another earth like planet out there.

Thomas Sowell

Had a gastroscopy, which with my gag reflex meant a near death experience. Have petachiae around my eyes and am running a fever, but I can now imagine what dying from suffocation over a couple of minutes feels like. Hint: sucks.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hope everything is good with you Nep. My co-worker has had a few of those and a couple of looks up his tailpipe (*shudder*) and hes never a happy camper when he comes back to work.

I got that coming up in a couple of weeks. :p
  • Like 1

Had a gastroscopy, which with my gag reflex meant a near death experience. Have petachiae around my eyes and am running a fever, but I can now imagine what dying from suffocation over a couple of minutes feels like. Hint: sucks.

Yeesh, I'm cringing in sympathy. Feel better Nep.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Good luck Nep

I actually fainted when they went around back  :ermm:

PS Waking up with the nurses laughing at you is a hard place to come back from

I know that's not funny, but it was...

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Good luck Nep

I think I would almost rather die from whatever they didn't find because I didn't go in ... instead of going in and dying right away from being laughed at. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Good luck Nep

I think I would almost rather die from whatever they didn't find because I didn't go in ... instead of going in and dying right away from being laughed at. 

There would be some dignity in that.

Thomas Sowell

Yikes Nep, my wife had that. It was worse than the colonoscopy according to her.

Yeah, I hear there's a lot of personal variation. Doc said colonoscopy's going to be a walk in the park in comparison at any rate. Also, well, there were a lot of female medical students in my dorm back in the day and, er, stuff happened, :p

About to leave for work, looking like someone tried to punch my ticket.

Edited by Nepenthe

Reading Schopenhauer, ''Will and representation''. Heavy stuff, also archaic German (1820's) is sometimes a bit hard to read but I'm surprised I actually fully understand his rather complex thoughts and ideas, especially considering the fact I have not read Kant.

I might not be as dumb as I thought.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Had the most hectic day at work yet, started out awful with me having to unload a trailer full of sports goods, wich was supposed to be unloaded via forklift, but we had to do it by hand. Did get some help halfway through it though, because they had an acute lack of trailers to fill with outgoing goods. By that time I was unloading a EUR-pallet with mostly 20Kg weights, stacked nearly chest high. That was a metric ****tonne of "pita".

And then it went south after that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken