Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Why does anyone care what Arthur Chu think ? Really, though, he's qualified for what ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was going to check what his claim to fame was again (didn't he win some stupid gameshow like wheel of fortune several times?) and apparently I'm blocked by him. I guess I made it onto the autoblocker somehow. Anybody who cares about this stuff enough to use something like an autoblocker isn't worth talking to anyway.

Well, none of the people on the UN panel or the documents that they referenced to had any CV to speak of either and here we are.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why does anyone care what Arthur Chu think ? Really, though, he's qualified for what ?

He won a gameshow I guess. He's not particularly sane either.

Rc99gc9.png

He has however somehow managed to become a semi-famous writer on various sites.

I was going to check what his claim to fame was again (didn't he win some stupid gameshow like wheel of fortune several times?) and apparently I'm blocked by him. I guess I made it onto the autoblocker somehow. Anybody who cares about this stuff enough to use something like an autoblocker isn't worth talking to anyway.

He was a Jeopardy winner who won by being an arse.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Jeopardy! He's famous because he's got so few useful things in his head that he can fill it entirely with trivia! Fantastic.

EDIT: I'm not on the autoblocker, so Arthur Chu literally took time out of his day to ban my twitter account. To put it in perspective, in five years of Twitter I have made about two hundred tweets in total, most of them retweets, and have six followers. My last tweet was in July. That's how unimportant my twitter is. Arthur Chu felt that was somehow threatening enough to take the time to press a few buttons to make sure he couldn't see my twitter account anymore.

Yeah, what a waste of space of a person.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Woosh

I'm not sure exactly how common "whoosh" is, so just in case it wasn't enough/understood by anyone..:

a1836a3d59.gif

:p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Mr Chmielars has written a review of Phil Owens' recent (and already infamous) book that had an excerpt posted on Polygon.
You know, the one where he complained that a site he was fired from was catering to the ****lord demographic?

A review of "WTF Is Wrong with Video-Games?"

A little excerpt:

What that tells me is that Phil Owen does not exactly understand video games.

Video games have their own language. They use what I call “gaming metaphors”. Tools, conventions, techniques. A health meter is one, and an unlimited pause time before making a difficult choice in Mass Effect is another. Both are not something that exists in real life and makes logical sense, but we understand and can decipher their symbolic and practical value in a video game.

All art forms have their own “metaphors”.

Edit: Owen is now just straight up cussing at devs that didn't like his book. I guess Ken Levine was a bit too high-profile for him to call a ****head though.

OUm4W8n.jpg

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 2

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Mr Chmielars has written a review of Phil Owens' recent (and already infamous) book that had an excerpt posted on Polygon.

You know, the one where he complained that a site he was fired from was catering to the ****lord demographic?

A review of "WTF Is Wrong with Video-Games?"

A little excerpt:

What that tells me is that Phil Owen does not exactly understand video games.

Video games have their own language. They use what I call “gaming metaphors”. Tools, conventions, techniques. A health meter is one, and an unlimited pause time before making a difficult choice in Mass Effect is another. Both are not something that exists in real life and makes logical sense, but we understand and can decipher their symbolic and practical value in a video game.

All art forms have their own “metaphors”.

Edit: Owen is now just straight up cussing at devs that didn't like his book. I guess Ken Levine was a bit too high-profile for him to call a ****head though.

OUm4W8n.jpg

Adrian is fighting the good fight.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I haven't read the gentlemans book nor anything to do with the controversy surrounding it, though a lot probably stems from the clickbait inflammatory title, but i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Mr Owen wants games to be: More "filmic," shorter, streamlined, dumbed down and accessible, and that therefore of course he should not have to learn how to play the game because he should simply be catered to, never challenged or in any way impeded. After all no other games force you to learn the rules and play by them, we all know that Chess and Poker are sit down and play passtimes.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I haven't read the gentlemans book nor anything to do with the controversy surrounding it, though a lot probably stems from the clickbait inflammatory title, but i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Mr Owen wants games to be: More "filmic," shorter, streamlined, dumbed down and accessible, and that therefore of course he should not have to learn how to play the game because he should simply be catered to, never challenged or in any way impeded. After all no other games force you to learn the rules and play by them, we all know that Chess and Poker are sit down and play passtimes.

TB made a video about it. It would seem the at least some part of that book is not that bad. And i kind of agree with it as is TB. :) 

From that opinion piece it sounds like Mr Owen is just another of the McIntosh idiot crowd whom believe that interactivity should have no part in games. I'm surprised how spot on my guesses were however, it seems these people really all do think alike. Personally i'm coming to the conclusion that they simply do not like games as a medium at all, or anything that challenges them or requires the learning of gameplay mechanisms, they simply want to be told a story like in a film or novel.

These people really are what is wrong in gaming in my opinion.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Is anyone following the Star Citizen drama?

Background:

Derek Smart has been making various accusations against the Star Citizen team for months, including the claim that their project is failing (and was grossly irresponsible to begin with) and that they're hiding this truth from their backers, among other miscellaneous accusations of failure to adhere to ethical standards. But since Smart is a competitor (he's a game developer in the space sim genre himself), and has a reputation for digging himself into a hole in internet arguments, few people took him seriously on this.

Current events:

The Escapist featured an article by Lizzy Finnegan this Thursday, which levels rather serious accusations against the company behind Star Citizen (and its director Chris Roberts), based on the statements of numerous alleged ex-employees whose identity was not revealed:

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes - Update

In return, Roberts posted an impassioned Star Citizen backer update in which he calls The Escapist piece "slanderous" and "disgusting", derides them for taking Derek Smart seriously rather than considering him a troll, and accuses them of failing to adhere to ethical journalistic standards:

Chairman's Response to The Escapist

(PS: Interestingly, he also accuses both Smart and Finnegan of being too friendly with Gamer Gate)

The Escapist stands by Finnegan and her article and claims that journalistic standards were properly followed, and publishes a clarification on the sources which were quoted (including the fact that none of them were Derek Smart):

The Escapist's Position on Our Star Citizen Story

...So, what do 'ya think?

It looks like most Star Citizen fans are standing behind Roberts and calling the Escapist article a "hit piece" that shouldn't be trusted, but I'm not so sure.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I have not been following Star Citizen much but I've heard many outspoken fans have a cult like devotion to the project. Don't know how true that is myself.

Regarding The Escapist I don't doubt that they did check that the former devs they use as a source are who they say they are. It's not just one dev but multiple devs. I suppose purely theoretically it could all be lies made up either by the author of the article or those devs. I don't really believe in the former and the latter wouldn't be the fault of The Escapist who told the story as it was told to them by devs who are credibly devs.

Also with the unprecedented ambitiousness and continuous expansion of Star Citizen especially for a crowd sourced game doesn't make it hard to believe that they would bite more than they could chew.

Edited by Fighter

I'll repeat what I said in the SC thread.

I am not a backer of SC. But from what I've heard everything points towards SC being a massive disappointment. It'll be one of three things, horribly broken, a hollow shell or it'll just never come out.

That said:
-Escapist should have put more effort into verifying their sources. Their efforts sound lacklustre in their explanation article.
-Roberts should have been given an appropriate time to respond. As Glasgow said on twitter, the article was not time-critical, so a few days would not have mattered.

-Derek Smart has a weird murderboner for Star Citizen. I don't think he's a particularly good source for anything SC related.

I like Lizzy, but this article was unwise. Before writing something like this you have to make sure you've got absolutely everything verifiable and correct, otherwise you're generating controversy for clicks and may even be damaging someone's name.
Lizzy is still new to the journalism game, so I'll give her some leeway as she was probably very excited about what looked like her first big scoop, but The Escapist's editorial staff should have been more cautious.

So yeah, I think there was some bad judgement here.
Regardless, if what they say is true the truth will come out in a few months due to to the development team running out of funds.

• Like 2

As a backer of SC, the more time goes on the more my faith in the project dwindles. As of a month or so ago, with the way ships moved and how aim intensive the game is/was, the only peripheral that was viable was a mouse and keyboard. I am not against M&K being viable, but I bought into the project to relive the old WC and Tiefighter days, and the Joystick/Hotas setups in the alpha are abysmal. Or they were the last time I played a month or 2 ago. The devs have danced around the subject since Arena Commander launched. I will gain more faith again when piloting the ships with a joystick isn't a death sentence in their matchmaking. If that never happens then I will move on.

My guess is it will do well initially, but fizzle out in a short time. They haven't hit any deadlines, and keep pushing new ships, guns, etc to keep the money flowing.

I hope I am wrong, but a year of little to nothing in terms of progress has left me a bit sour.

I think we're all going to remember Star Citizen as the biggest flop in the industry for quite a while.

While I didn't follow Star Citizen development closely, I was hoping they'd pull it off. Ambition is not necessarily bad; The gaming industry could do with some more risk-takers and less by-the-numbers factory productions. But maybe you're right that this was too much.

I also don't think it makes Roberts look too good that he felt the need to resort to personal attacks against the author of the article and drag out completely unrelated tweets of hers to try and discredit her. But maybe that was just his anger and frustration talking.

OTOH, that the Escapist published the article with no evidence besides allegations from ex-employees also feels a little iffy. Even if there are multiple witnesses saying the same thing, a journalist should try to get hard evidence before going to print with a bomb shell. Didn't any of those ex-employees keep around an actual copy of some of the incriminating emails which they claim were sent by Roberts and his wife? Did they say why they never chose legal action?

I'll repeat what I said in the SC thread.

Ah I didn't realize there was a separate thread for it. I thought it fit in well here... what with the whole topic of ethics in game development, ethics in gaming journalism, and GG even being namedropped by Roberts in his reply...

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

It fits in this thread too, so I don't think anyone will be bothered by it.

Edit: Calling it now: "Actually, it's about ethics etc."

sc9zXKb.jpg

Edited by GhoulishVisage

If there's one KS type project that looks like it is inevitably going to crash and burn it's Star Citizen. No scope control and trying to be all things to all people- the whole thing from concept to funding is completely out of usual crowdsourcing scale.

Having said that, this does rather look like what happened to Brad Wardell/ Stardock when a bunch of sjws decided to take the word of an ex employee who was later forced to apologise. Particular caution has to be taken when dealing with accusations from ex employees as they may have axes to grind, and Derek Smart is... unreliable, to say the least.

I have not been following Star Citizen much but I've heard many outspoken fans have a cult like devotion to the project. Don't know how true that is myself.

That is putting it lightly. "In Chris we trust" and so on, bunch of God damned weirdos, some of them - response to allegations like this is to give more money. Glassdoor reviews aren't always bitter people lying, may play up things being worse than they are for sure.

Kind of hoping for SC to crash and burn, heh

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know nothing about Star Citizen, but from what you folks are saying it seems like Scientology in a videogame form.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I don't want SC to crash and burn.  Sure, the schadenfreude would be pretty glorious, but I'd much rather have a great space sim than a schadenfreude fueled boner.  That said, I'm not giving Roberts any money in advance.

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I haven't been keeping up with SC development (despite it being one of the few games I've actually backed) but according to a friend the Escapist article was straight up trashy clickbait journalism. True or no it really seems to have hurt their reputation or at the very least "legitimized" the Chicken Little cries that have been surrounding the project since the beginning.