What you did today

Blarghagh

Nice Cant, I need to get on that once I cure myself of Crippling Laziness. Bought myself a birthday gift, an Archer C7 router - it is supposedly good value, but knowing my luck it will be a POS. Don't have anything that works on ac though, but I figure going from g to n will help.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I did some 100kg shoulder presses standing followed by 45kg single arm dumbbell presses. I'm getting better, but progress has been really slow lately. Maybe its because of the heat which dampens my motivation to lift heavy. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

What happened to Woldan's picture?  And does he really only have 313 posts?  Mysteries of WoT!

Way-Off Topic posts stop counting recently for some reason...in other words, I'll be stuck in the 700s for the next few years. :p

(e): Officially, I blame Raithe for spamming the funny things thread. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

WoT hasn't been counting posts for a while now.  There are people with less than a quarter of my post count who have three times as many posts.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

*shrug*  I somehow have 352 posts (it used to be over 400...) when I'd be surprised if I had half of that.  I remember I'd posted here less than a dozen times way back when, and when I came back a couple years ago I mysteriously had exactly 400 posts.

What happened to Woldan's picture?  And does he really only have 313 posts?  Mysteries of WoT!

I accidentally deleted my profile picture and now I can't upload it again, heck, even uploading it to photobucket and simply linking the URL doesn't work. Not sure whats going on there....

I wouldn't have survived your childhood, eventually I would have died from cumulative head injuries.  I don't know why you still haven't enlisted into the Swedish Navy to become a submarine sailor, you spent your whole childhood in one!  :w00t:

Pfft, I'd get spoiled. Would'nt be able to sleep in my own home anymore due to claustrophobia. :<

Past few days, I've had a really, really sore throat, and today it is becoming a full cold. One of the worst ones I've had so far, I cought it from a friend that had been to Turkey so possibly it's because I've never encountered this virus before.

I hate it, and I want to exterminate it. Mostly by gurgling whiskey and drinking tea. Or was that gurgling tea and drinking whiskey? o.o

Bah, bit disappointed in my father. Tried to get him to lend his camera and stand to me for the night, since I'm going to watch the perseids. But no luck. :/

I've been trying for a week to get him to do so, but he just plain refuses.

Anyone else going to watch them?

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Usual paranoia about wearing the new shoe. Felt ok in store but always something wrong that craps up after I can no longer return it

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

32 Celsius room temperature and today is deadlift and squat day. Not funny...

Did you get out last night to grab any pic's of the Perseids?

I got a couple of good looks, some whose debris hung in the air for several seconds afterwards, aweomse stuff! But I could only watch for an hour and a half before some really thick fog invaded. Wich was awesome in another kind of way, but not what I wanted just that night. :/

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Did you get out last night to grab any pic's of the Perseids?

I was sitting outside for hours staring at the night sky and I all I saw was a single shooting star. The night sky was pretty clear so maybe they weren't visible form my location. Very disappointing. 

Just because that's the way I deal with approaching my mid-life crisis. :shifty:

Still, since I haven't actually posted in this thread in awhile, I suppose I should actually be somewhat serious. The cancer and continuing medical conditions finally hit their peak last week and my mother passed on in that grand journey. So it's been the running day by day juggling things with my father and sister to get everything sorted. Funeral plans and all the rest of that needed legal issues that result from bereavement.

Now after having spent the last fifteen years as her carer, and having had that as a central piece of my life I have to re-figure who I am without that and where I'm going from here.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Raithe, I'm terrible sorry for your loss.  Your commitment and dedication to your family and your mother are simply amazing, and I hope you can look back on the last 15 years and know that you went above and beyond for her.  

• Like 2

You have my deepest condoleances Raithe.

Just because that's the way I deal with approaching my mid-life crisis. :shifty:

Still, since I haven't actually posted in this thread in awhile, I suppose I should actually be somewhat serious. The cancer and continuing medical conditions finally hit their peak last week and my mother passed on in that grand journey. So it's been the running day by day juggling things with my father and sister to get everything sorted. Funeral plans and all the rest of that needed legal issues that result from bereavement.

Now after having spent the last fifteen years as her carer, and having had that as a central piece of my life I have to re-figure who I am without that and where I'm going from here.

I'm sorry Raithe, I want to say your commitment and diligence to your moms health has been nothing but impressive. I won't profess to know the details of your  family structure but I don't think a son could do  more for his family than you have done and I'm sure your mom was very grateful for everything you did especially in her final days

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

After getting moderately drunk for the the second day in a row I have began to wonder if i'm an alcoholic. I have some trouble controlling the amount that I drink sometimes but I'm always somewhat coherent (thanks to spellcheck) and can easily quit but I do wonder what makes someone an alcoholic. 

Oh and I sent my glasses to get the prescription changed, i'm using my old glasses and I can't see ****.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hey, some of my family members get moderately to extremely drunk literally every day, and perpetually insist that they don't have a problem. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. original.gif

Just because that's the way I deal with approaching my mid-life crisis. shifty.gif

Now after having spent the last fifteen years as her carer, and having had that as a central piece of my life I have to re-figure who I am without that and where I'm going from here.

Well, that was about the worst timing I could've ever possibly had for what was supposed to be a stupid, flippant remark that I came up with pretty much at random. That's awful to hear...best of luck and here's to hoping for happier days to come. sad.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

After getting moderately drunk for the the second day in a row I have began to wonder if i'm an alcoholic. I have some trouble controlling the amount that I drink sometimes but I'm always somewhat coherent (thanks to spellcheck) and can easily quit but I do wonder what makes someone an alcoholic. 

Oh and I sent my glasses to get the prescription changed, i'm using my old glasses and I can't see ****.

Good question, I don't think  there is one definitive answer to what makes someone an alcoholic as it will vary from person to person 

I am a binge drinker for example so when I drink I tend to drink loads but I can easily go 2 weeks without a single drink

But I suppose the best definition for an alcoholic is where you are sober and you really start to crave alcohol to the point where there is a physiological impact ..like your hand is shaking or you are irritated or uneasy until you have a drink. So in other words the lack of alcohol in your system has a noticeable effect on your thinking  

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good question, I don't there is one definitive answer to what makes someone an alcoholic as it will vary from person and person 

I am binge drinker for example so when I drink I tend to drink loads but I can easily go 2 weeks without a single drink

But I suppose the best definition for an alcoholic is where you are sober and you really start to crave alcohol to the point where there is a physiological impact ..like your hand is shaking or you are irritated or uneasy until you have a drink. So in other words the lack of alcohol in your system has a noticeable effect on your thinking  

If someone is at that point, they have already been an alcoholic for some time.