What you did today

Blarghagh

Whelp, applied and took the exam for the US Post Office as a "Rural Mail carrier".

Guess a lot of "old" companies are going "Oh crap, all the old farts are retiring, we need new people!"

Also I'm working a 52ish hour work week right now.

If you have any questions about Rural Mail carriers both my wife and daughter are ones. My wife is full-time and has 15 years in and my daughter is part-time for the last two years.

Its a good job if you can stand all the other workers.

• Like 1

Well, forget the demons and enjoy an anecdotal tale of mishap. Today I stepped on a paint tray full of oil-based white primer, catapult-splattering the contents in every direction except time, lost my balance, only to regain it by reflex-grabbing the closest hard object--the stove-top dial controls--unknowingly triggering two to the highest heat settings, igniting a stack of vintage '60s cookbooks over the course of eleven minutes unbeknownst to me while I was crying and wiping up what I could from the cabinets and floor, covered as they were in plastic and paper, ostensibly to prevent such incidents. I exited the kitchen for more rags, returning to a scrum of neighbors inquiring about the smell of smoke and my cohorts desperate to remove the flaming tomes. We managed to open all the windows and doors, evacuate the smoke, and clean the carbon scarring from the stove-top. No alarms went off, which was odd, and the owners of the Solana Beach ocean-view property were entirely magnanimous, reassuring me, 'it is what it is'. I choose to look at it this way--now, they know they must install proper fire alarms. So, basically, I saved their lives: two humans, a puppy, two dozen birds, including a white co*katoo, the one that screeches like an iron plate dragging across a steel hull.     

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm gathering truckloads of data of Iceland because I want to leave this god forsaken country that is Austria, before I turn 30. In my opinion almost everything is better in Iceland, I like the people, I like the wonky culture (Elves!), the climate, the weather, the landscapes, the legendary strongmen Viking culture, heck, even the gun laws aren't that bad and economy is good too. Also the language is awesome, since German is my native language I can pronounce all the words correctly. The grammar is a b!tch though, but I see it as a fun challenge.

I think I'd fit right in with very little adjustment time.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

snip

You were also the one that almost killed them, but I suppose that's besides the point. :p

@Woldan: "truckloads of data of Iceland"? Data about what about Iceland? Just the sort of information you already brought up? I can't remember what you do for a living, but if you can get a good job there and it seems like a perfect fit, why not? :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm gathering truckloads of data of Iceland because I want to leave this god forsaken country that is Austria, before I turn 30.

What's wrong with Austria?

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'm gathering truckloads of data of Iceland because I want to leave this god forsaken country that is Austria, before I turn 30.

What's wrong with Austria?

Yes whats wrong with Austria?....but I know Woldan doesn't mean it. He is just venting  :w00t:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wasn't it so you had to learn iceland language or somesuch before they let you live there for as long as you please? Or was it a different nordic country? I somehow mix them all the time...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yes whats wrong with Austria?....but I know Woldan doesn't mean it. He is just venting  w00t.gif

Don't pretend to know me as person through my presence in an Internet forum, lest you make a fool of yourself.

Wasn't it so you had to learn iceland language or somesuch before they let you live there for as long as you please? Or was it a different nordic country? I somehow mix them all the time...

Never heard of this before, I have a friend from Germany who moved to Iceland without being able to speak Icelandic. Though I'd take a crash course in the native language of that country immediately because I think there are very few things more offensive than moving to another country and not giving a sh!t about learning the language spoken there.

I know people from New Zealand and GB that have been living here in Austria for almost a decade now and they can only speak a handful of German words because hey, anyone can speak and understand English so who cares! They even speak only English with their Austrian husband/wife and their families.

I find that highly offensive.

Edited by Woldan

I've always found that notion to be rather amusing. Languages evolve naturally over time, as does the need for them.

Now if they were dismissive or demanding, sure I can see why that would be offensive - but English is simply lingua franca of the western world, no need to be upset about it. It used the Roman, heck it was even German here for a while.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm curious as to why this is offensive. Care to elaborate?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'm curious as to why this is offensive. Care to elaborate?

Sure.

Ok, you move to a new foreign country with the intention of settling there and you don't even learn to communicate properly with your neighbors? In my book thats not only offensive but also asocial, the first thing when moving to a new country should be learning the native language as fast as you can.  

Yes, most people in the Western world speak and understand at least basic English, but thats not the point.

If you as a foreigner do not bother learning the way how people communicate in a given country, thats a sign of lack of respect, arrogance, laziness, lack of motivation for integration and ultimately asocial behavior.  

And language is just the tip of the iceberg, if I moved to another country I'd be eager to learn about its traditions, the general way of living and the societies mindset plus ''unwritten rules'' so I could properly respect them. I'd show the people that I'm not waltzing into their country like I own that place not caring about their opinions, instead I'd want them to know that I put great effort into my integration because I'd like to be accepted into their society. 

The last thing I'd want to be is a permanent annoying and ignorant tourist, because thats exactly what you are if you move to another country and don't give a F about the ways of the people who have been living there for a long long time.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I was at Gamescom yesterday, and I was actually quite disappointed with it. I realize that it's a massive convention and to play the demos you have to wait in line for several hours, but it annoyed me that the most high profile titles were all in their own walled off spaces. If you didn't want to play, but just wanted to take a quick look to see other people playing it? Out of luck. I didn't so much as catch a glimpse of Overwatch - it was completely walled off on every side. And for the largest Games Convention in the world with supposedly international appeal that is partnered with the UK, it was wasn't very international. Every single presentation I saw was done by a German host or dubbed in German.

Oh, and there was an entire floor of merchandise of which there were two small stands of video game merchandise, one small Blizzard specific store and everything else was anime, comic book and tabletop stuff.

All in all, I think I actually saw substantially less games content at the biggest Games convention in the world than I do whenever I go to tiny local games conventions. I did have fun talking to a lot of indie developers and did some networking.

• Like 1

Yes whats wrong with Austria?....but I know Woldan doesn't mean it. He is just venting  w00t.gif

Don't pretend to know me as person through my presence in an Internet forum, lest you make a fool of yourself.

Okay so your many posts of you hiking, mountain climbing and taking photos of your country's beauty I must just see as proof of your dislike of your country. Thanks for clarifying....that clears everything up  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay so your many posts of you hiking, mountain climbing and taking photos of your country's beauty I must just see as proof of your dislike of your country. Thanks for clarifying....that clears everything up

I mostly like the mountains, everything else is not so interesting around here, plus I've never liked most people around here either. Iceland is much, much better, hardly any urban sprawl, rel wilderness, I like the people much better, the climate is just about perfect, the landscapes and their variety are breathtaking, access to the sea. ..-.. plus the advantages I've mentioned in my previous post. Austria might not be that bad, but its got nothing on that little black island in the north. Edited by Woldan

Been playing PnP RPG's, as usual on the weekends really, and I'm beginning to feel like a grognard when we play.

I don't mind that people are slow on the uptake, that you forget things and so on. But for ****s sake. One of the guys I play with has been playing with us for two or three years, and he can't remember the basic rules for any of the games we play, and half the players completely lack the concept of meta-gaming. It annoys me to no end.

Things get so slow when you have to explain the rules to players every time a roll is needed.

And don't get me started on ****ing smart-phones. I've half a mind to act like a fricking school teacher and confiscate them when we start playing... Atleast the other GM/grognard in the group feels the same. :)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Went to a neighborhood-party. While it was the usual fun, having to attend to countless arm wrestling duels and fighting pit wrestling duels with people 150% of my own weight plus getting (harmlessly) ridiculed for my looks every 2 minutes is more tiring than flattering to be honest.  :getlost:

And I nearly broke my skull on a low door frame. It never ceases to amaze me how small people were just a 100 years ago. 

Edited by Woldan

And I nearly broke my skull on a low door frame. It never ceases to amaze me how small people were just a 100 years ago. 

I've grown up in a house where the door frames are at mouth height, I've lost count of how many times I've smashed my head into them. Not to mention that the kitchen bench is knee high. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I wouldn't have survived your childhood, eventually I would have died from cumulative head injuries.  I don't know why you still haven't enlisted into the Swedish Navy to become a submarine sailor, you spent your whole childhood in one!  :w00t:

• Like 1

No Shady, GD MIA, and others, making watermelon Kool-Aid instead of sequentially deconstructing anti-reason ... what am I supposed to do for fun, play video games ... well, okay. Last night I started an evil Sith melee master in Knights II. He'll have double blades, heavy armor, and a seriously sour attitude. I named him Gol-gan, which I assume I mentally appropriated from some other property, but I can't recall what it might have been. His avatar is the bearded gentleman, soon to lose his healthy complexion. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Today was a gym day. It's almost exactly a year and a half to the day since I went on my weight loss regimen. My main goal has switched from weight loss to muscle gain, but I'd still like to lose more weights regimen. I figure that, over 130 pounds lighter and I can cut myself some slack while I increase my weight. I've lost enough fat that I can see some areas of decent muscle definition. My wife even bought me a Captain America workout shirt.

If a yutz like me can do it, then anyone can do it. *You* can do it!

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." Churchiill

EDIT: added a letter and a word.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Today was a gym day. It's almost exactly a year and a half to the day since I went on my weight loss regimen. My main goal has switched from weight loss to muscle gain, but I'd still like to lose more weights regimen. I figure that, over 130 pounds lighter and I can cut myself some slack while I increase my weight. I've lost enough fat that I can see some areas of decent muscle definition. My wife even bought me a Captain America workout shirt.

If a yutz like me can do it, then anyone can do it. *You* can do it!

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." Churchiill

EDIT: added a letter and a word.

130 lbs in 18 months? And putting on muscle at the same time? And you still ain't happy?  :lol:  **** man, you seriously deserve that Cap'n America shirt. Huge kudos.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

130 lbs in 18 months? And putting on muscle at the same time? And you still ain't happy?  laughing.gif  **** man, you seriously deserve that Cap'n America shirt. Huge kudos.

Many thanks, brother, but I've actually *gained* a seven pounds since I went on a strength regimen. :Cant's rueful grin icon: If it wouldn't be so gauche, I would post pics. ...But I better let other folks describe *their* days.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!