Fallout 4 is coming!

mkreku

Shooters dont have skill checks... look how Mass Effect "evolved"... first had skill lines to dialog and encryption etc. second had simplified minigames, third was all about shooting and all non-combat skills and activities were removed...

Expect similar approach to skills like you had in Skyrim with its skill trees, the difference is that now it is called perk chart.

• Like 3

Shooters dont have skill checks... look how Mass Effect "evolved"... first had skill lines to dialog and encryption etc. second had simplified minigames, third was all about shooting and all non-combat skills and activities were removed...

Expect similar approach to skills like you had in Skyrim with its skill trees, the difference is that now it is called perk chart.

I'd go as far as to say it's not Fallout without skill checks.  I suspected Bethesda weren't dumb enough to get rid of SPECIAL and I really hope they're clever enough to find a way of keeping skill checks.

we would need more of "official" gameplay, but certainly skills and skill checks are not a big deal in the game, as otherwise we would have them in the demo presentation in some form other than mentioned in the crafting screen, considering how close it is to the release (less than 6 months)

Edited by Darkpriest

it seems the game has no story either

some form of story will be there. it's fairly obvious from the comment on the how the game begins and there is a reason why the public demonstration has the cut element after the blast to re-emergance from the vault.

"Ps. If you've already said, in this very thread, how much Bethesda/Fallout 4 sucks, feel free to not comment again. If you think it sucks, you've already said everything we need to hear from you. Saying it over and over with slightly different wording is just trolling."

\

People are not your slaves. They don't have to listen to your commands and can post what they like.  If we have to read your crying  about games then you have to ehar others' crying about your favorite games.

That said, the videos look solid. That said, I have little doubt it will get boring after 10 hours like any other Bethesda game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow, what a disaster. Directed cinematic 4-option dialogues with a voiced protagonist? Absolutely disgusting.

The problem with that dialogue system is minimal compared with the likely quality problem of the writing itself. If the writing is "Have you seen my dad, middle aged guy?" quality again it hardly matters what the dialogue system is, if the writing is good then the system may be a bit limiting, but shouldn't be a major problem.

AP used that dialogue system and I liked it well enough, except those times when I chose an answer and Thorton did or say something completely different from what I expected. That was offset by consistently pissing off everyone I came across so in the end it's all good. If I can do the same in FO4 and be chastised for it by the end, I'll be happy.

Skills are still there (I saw bobblehead stand same as Fallout 3), they just traded skill points for skill ranks unlocked with certain amount of xp?

Rank 2 Science! = 50 Science! in old system

If that's actually the case, it could work better than the previous 1-100 scale. In the old games, there was a die roll that governed skill checks, so a continuous variable made sense. From FO3 on, if, for instance, a lock required [Lockpicking 50] and you had 49, you were SOL. That sucked.

However, if perks are now skills... what happens with actual perks now? Do you choose between leveling up a "skill" and picking a perk now? Yeah, I don't think I like that.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

perks within the perk chart will be allocated along specific skill lines. For example there will be some unlockable perks within Science tree on various "ranks" of that specific branch of perk chart. Think of it as Skyrim trees that had for example unlockable glass armor crafting within armorsmith skill tree.

So the Cannibal perk will be in the... Survival tree? And Finesse in... Small Guns? Yeah, if that's the case, as someone else back there said, it doesn't look like they "get" perks at all. Wait and see, I guess.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Either me or the Fallout franchise must be getting old, 'cuz that did absolutely nada for me. The whole 50's-Americana-retro-futuristic-post-apoc thing is wearing pretty thin. "More of the same, but now with interior decoration" doesn't do it for me. At least give it a new twist, like setting it in Sverdlovsk and showing us some 50's-Soviet-retro-futuristic-post-apoc. Or something. Anything. Just not another jumpsuit, Dogmeat, and flash-burned formica countertop.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Bit more gameplay footage. Getting into powerarmor looks neat.

Edit: new footage starts at 2min 8sec.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Bethesda does not make games... they make mod tools, assets and a base world for the comunity to make the games themselves

• Like 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

^ That's basically how I've chosen to see it as well. Or rather, that they also make virtual theme parks in established settings / IPs. And I would never demand that a Theme Park be consistent, logical or indeed intellectually challenging. 

Fortune favors the bald.

Doubt Bethesda will change that much. FO4 will sell well even with a boring story, 4 VO actors or whatever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always the same platitudes about Bethseda being repeated again and again.

That said - I don't mean it as an insult, I enjoy their games.. But I think it's a fair point of critique.

Fortune favors the bald.

Always the same platitudes about Bethseda being repeated again and again.

Probably because Bethseda repeat the same gameplay again and again.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

that looks a lot like Rage

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

that looks a lot like Rage

+dog 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.