Hey Oby!

JFSOCC

Now this is interesting, I look forward to what these documents will reveal 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What do you mean by "19th century Belgian tribal distinctions" ?

I'm guessing he means the phrenology-based approach to ethnic division enforcement carried out by the Belgians after WWI. Handing out Hutu/Tutsi ID cards based on such scientific criteria as the relationship between cranial measurement and intelligence, height, and skin coloring; heavily favoring a Tutsi-dominated power structure (they were apparently "more Caucasian" than Hutus and hence, superior).

yes, except that belgian anthropologists already did it pre-WWI. Not the handing out of cards, but the dividing of different tribes into perceived ethnic groups, ignoring longstanding inter-tribal relationships and common exchanges.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty interesting coincidence since you guys are currently talking about it.

The really interesting documents from the french military who were in Rwanda got shredded by their military attaché prior to leaving, iirc, so it will be interesting to see if they have duplicates of those and whether they're released, or not. They have released documents before, but they just weren't the interesting documents.

Nah not the obvious, just Zora looking to undermine and blame the West for all ills in the world.

You picked the example, Bruceykins. Not my fault you picked one where the french were aiding a genocidal regime, since there are so many successful interventions to pick from (there are so many successful ones, aren't there?) you could always concede you stuffed up and pick another example.

I am still waiting for him to let us know that " Western sanctions have had no impact on the Russian economy" ...that always makes for a good laugh  happy0203.gif

Just like Gromnir you should feel free to Post Proof of where I said that Or Retract. You even used quotes, so it should be easy to find where I said it, too. Or perhaps it's just another case of someone saying something you (and they, oh so very very desperately) want to be true and just repeating that, again and again: tilting at windmills made of strawmen.

• Like 1

... , just Zora looking to undermine and blame the West for all ills in the world...

Sorry to break it to ya Bruce but currently the biggest global threats are US, NATO and Saudi-backed ISIS. Not Iran. Not Assad. Not North Korea. Not even Russia or China who tend to mind their own business.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

The biggest global threats are corporations.  The US is too busy bickering to bother with any real conquests.

I'm only worried about countries that develop a cult of personality around their leaders.  

The biggest global threats are corporations.  The US is too busy bickering to bother with any real conquests.

I'm only worried about countries that develop a cult of personality around their leaders.  

So your ultimate nightmare would be Ronald McDonald with nukes and a fervent following?

I must admit. That scenario has never crossed my mind until now, and it is quite troubling.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Don't be. Such countries are not exactly a global problem.

~ Kaine

So your ultimate nightmare would be Ronald McDonald with nukes and a fervent following?

I must admit. That scenario has never crossed my mind until now, and it is quite troubling.

Haha agreed :D

It's Shadowrun

:DDDDD

~ Kaine

It's beyond me how you don't understand Hurl.. The US doesn't have to win wars, it's enough that it starts them and the natives will have misery and suffering. Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc. Life will never get back to normal in those places. US and NATO are the main global instigators.

Edited post a bit

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

It's beyond me how you don't understand Hurl.. The US doesn't have to win wars, it's enough that it starts them and the natives will have misery and suffering. Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc. Life will never get back to normal in those places. US and NATO are the main global instigators.

Edited post a bit

Ah ok, I thought you were talking about more of a traditional threat.  If you mean they bungle into messes and leave things worse than when they got there, then I'd have to agree with you.   :yes:

• Like 1

We were warned about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWWsWP9bPAg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

... , just Zora looking to undermine and blame the West for all ills in the world...

Sorry to break it to ya Bruce but currently the biggest global threats are US, NATO and Saudi-backed ISIS. Not Iran. Not Assad. Not North Korea. Not even Russia or China who tend to mind their own business.

Oh don't misunderstand me, I don't think the likes of ISIS are a global threat but that doesn't mean they aren't  a very disruptive force to the Middle East and other regions

And a real sectarian conflict between Sunnis and Shia, which is what ISIS wants, in the Middle East would have serious consequence for the whole world because of the impact  to the oil supply..prices would skyrocket this alone should be reason enough that ISIS needs to be defeated 

But once again we are on opposite sides of the types of comments that say things like " Russia minds its own business" . This is patently untrue, there annexing of regions in Georgia and Ukraine clearly dispute this view. In fact they have demonstrated a very imperialistic and jingoistic attitude in recent years ....so Russia is doing many things but minding there own business is not one of them 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah not the obvious, just Zora looking to undermine and blame the West for all ills in the world.

You picked the example, Bruceykins. Not my fault you picked one where the french were aiding a genocidal regime, since there are so many successful interventions to pick from (there are so many successful ones, aren't there?) you could always concede you stuffed up and pick another example.

I am still waiting for him to let us know that " Western sanctions have had no impact on the Russian economy" ...that always makes for a good laugh  happy0203.gif

Just like Gromnir you should feel free to Post Proof of where I said that Or Retract. You even used quotes, so it should be easy to find where I said it, too. Or perhaps it's just another case of someone saying something you (and they, oh so very very desperately) want to be true and just repeating that, again and again: tilting at windmills made of strawmen.

No Zora, there is no evidence that confirms that the French were complicit in the genocide. In fact they have denied this on numerous occasions

That is why the  link Gfted1 posted will be relevant. You can't make blanket statements about a country especially when it comes to a charge like genocide unless you have irrefutable evidence.

And as for the link where you said Russia hasn't been impacted by sanctions...it didn't take me very long to find it 

No the Russian economy has not been negatively effected by Western sanctions and never will be because sanctions just don't work that way

And I just want to add what an intelligent and reasonable person BruceVC is. I wish I could be more like him but I doubt I will ever reach his levels of erudition and insight 

There that was easy enough  :biggrin: ( oh and thanks for the compliment, I didn't know you felt that way )

John Milton 

If the US can't even stick it out in Vietnam, or Iraq, I don't know why you would worry about them on a global scale.

Probably as they kind of leave the places worse off even if they do lose or withdraw.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

yes, except that belgian anthropologists already did it pre-WWI. Not the handing out of cards, but the dividing of different tribes into perceived ethnic groups, ignoring longstanding inter-tribal relationships and common exchanges.

As far as I'm aware, it was a German colony up until the end of WWI. It was Germans that first started favoring Tutsis. Belgians took over and expanded on it when Germany lost her colonies after their defeat in the war.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Are you really saying that the USA is entirely to blame for how Iraq has turned out? Because if you are then that's patronising _at best_.

EDIT: My point above is irrelevant.

The real issue here is that a paid shill is taking the piss out of the mods, and out of the forum rules.

I don't think it could possibly be any clearer.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oby does it for free.

7a6.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Don't think he's even doing it aimed at the moderators.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't think he's even doing it aimed at the moderators.

I tend to agree and I still am not convinced he is even a Troll, why can't he just be someone who is entirely committed but misplaced in his political views?

John Milton 

^ Nice try. Be a bit less obvious, you may fool someone yet.

Not sure what you are alluding to, remember I'm not  as clever as you so you have to talk slow  :yes:

John Milton