Hey Oby!

JFSOCC

Places like this as in 'social media', perhaps. But the Obsidian forums, heh. Some of Oby's stuff does me laugh in how out of the blue it is, so that's something.

There are more unlikely places for the Russian troll army to prowl. I read once they invaded a Finnish forum for mothers exchanging child-rearing tips.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Oby = Obsidian ? :/  ... I'm confused :S

I seem to recall another somewhat confused youngster having a thing for Aribeth...

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oby = Obsidian ? :/  ... I'm confused :S

I seem to recall another somewhat confused youngster having a thing for Aribeth...

:DDDDDDDDD

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Places like this as in 'social media', perhaps. But the Obsidian forums, heh. Some of Oby's stuff does me laugh in how out of the blue it is, so that's something.

There are more unlikely places for the Russian troll army to prowl. I read once they invaded a Finnish forum for mothers exchanging child-rearing tips.

Hah, where did you read that?

Am just skeptical as Russia is the boogeyman right now. Given that the Blue team likely does this junk too this fuss is a bit much.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hah, where did you read that?

Am just skeptical as Russia is the boogeyman right now. Given that the Blue team likely does this junk too this fuss is a bit much.

The West needs to maintain an image of an external threat, an enemy if you will, so that it could keep the society together. And they need the people to vote for big military budgets. This is accomplished by scaring the American public with Putin the boogeyman.

first it was the CCCP

then it was the rogue nations

then it was the terrorists

then for awhile it was third-world dictators (Milosevic, Saddam)

then it was terrorists again (round 2)

then it was dictators round 2 (Gaddafi, Assad)

now its Putin

next it'll probably be aliens

need to keep that war machine going

~ Kaine

I agree on both counts Valsuelm. I do think however that asteroids (yes, asteroids) and the weaponization of space will come first i.e. justifying big military spending with anti-bolide armaments or somesuch.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I agree on both counts Valsuelm. I do think however that asteroids (yes, asteroids) and the weaponization of space will come first i.e. justifying big military spending with anti-bolide armaments or somesuch.

Why not both?

edit: I just realized that Barney Stinson is a smug douche in all possible universes. Cool!

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The West needs to maintain an image of an external threat, an enemy if you will

Much as everyone uses 'troll armies' (or alternatively, motivated truth tellers countering the opposition's troll army's propaganda and lies with enlightenment and truthiness) everyone uses the external threat card, not just the west.

That's why the whole thing is oddly amusing. West argues Russia is the external threat, Russia argues the west is the external threat, west argues they aren't a threat but are just prepared to counter any of Russia's aggression, Russia argues they aren't a threat and are just prepared to counter any of the west's aggression. West says anyone pro Russian is a paid shill but everyone anti Russian is just expressing their honest opinion and is definitely not paid; Russia, vice versa.

Both sides are simultaneously right and wrong because they are both threats to and competitors with each other, both are trolling each other with paid commentators and it is completely insoluble because both are simultaneously right about the other but unable to admit that the other is right about them. Perfect, circular argumentativeness.

This is no surprise. I would be also desperate to manipulate public and global opinion if I was involved in the Russian security services. Russia cannot let its citizens know the truth about its actions in places like Ukraine which is exactly why you don't have truly independent media houses in Russia 

And before we hear the " but the West also manipulates social media ",   the West has independent media houses and doesn't deny involvement in places  Iraq and its military campaign against ISIS. So the West is much more transparent in its interventionist policies  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know about that Bruce, I think it's very silent on what it's doing in the Congo or the Horn of Africa, for instance.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't know about that Bruce, I think it's very silent on what it's doing in the Congo or the Horn of Africa, for instance.

Can you share some details because I am aware of some West involvement in those areas but I wasn't aware this was being done secretly or that the West was denying its involvement like Russia has been doing for months in Ukraine ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

West argues Russia is the external threat, Russia argues the west is the external threat,...

True, it works both ways.

However the biggest threat to world peace is clearly NATO. It lives off civil wars and third-world warzones

Russia is no global threat, get real.

~ Kaine

West argues Russia is the external threat, Russia argues the west is the external threat,...

However the biggest threat to world peace is clearly Israel. It lives off civil wars and third-world warzones

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

However the biggest threat to world peace is clearly NATO. It lives off civil wars and third-world warzones

1,800 operational nukes in the hands of a textbook sociopath say otherwise.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

World's full of global threats these days. Heard someone claim Iran was an existential threat to the world. Got a good laugh out of that one.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Needs more golden fire.

However the biggest threat to world peace is clearly Israel. It lives off civil wars and third-world warzones

Fixed that for you.

Israel comes close second to NATO... It can't match their level of organization and systematically creating warzones to fuel the war machine.

~ Kaine

Who is this "textbook sociopath" you are talking about ?

~ Kaine

Heard someone claim Iran was an existential threat to the world. Got a good laugh out of that one.

Indeed. A technically inferior country where superstition is still rampant. I remember few years ago when opposition accused the ruling party of consorting with Djinn :D

I still have respect for their culture and tradition, however. Iran and Syria are the last "stubborn" countries in the Middle East that wont easily budge to USA, NATO and Israel. I respect that a great deal despite everything.

~ Kaine

TarotXIII.jpg

Actually Russian government don't manage our nukes  more. Everything controlled by SkyNet  AI Perimeter system now.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1055087/pg1

From times of USSR this system has been extremely upgraded.  It's fully autonomous AI who is real ruler of Russia now.  You known this - "If there was no God, It would be necessary to invent him."  Do you prepared for encounter a God? 

Who is this "textbook sociopath" you are talking about ?

That would be Putin of course

You say NATO is the biggest threat to world peace that the global community faces, I assume you are being serious so can you post links highlighting examples of where NATO has created wars or conflicts that weren't justified or supported by the UNSC?

Because that's a serious accusation you are making

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Heh, I like the "justified" bit you threw in there along side UNSC approval.

• Like 1