Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

The Point Break remake looks terrible.  

True Confession: I've never seen the original because IT looked terrible to me when I saw the trailers in the theaters back in the day.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

True Confession: I've never seen the original because IT looked terrible to me when I saw the trailers in the theaters back in the day.

It has Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reaves, and Gary Busey.  It's worth it just to watch those guys basically being themselves.

• Like 3

Yeah...still not going to watch it.  Why break a perfect record now? :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tilda Swinton in talks to play the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. Social Justice crowd applauds Marvel embracing diversity by casting white actor as tibetan character.

• Like 3
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Tilda Swinton in talks to play the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. Social Justice crowd applauds Marvel embracing diversity by casting white actor as tibetan character.

A hundred times this. Tibetan men are much more underrepresented in media than white women are. This isn't diversity, this is whitewashing.

A hundred times this. Tibetan men are much more underrepresented in media than white women are. This isn't diversity, this is whitewashing.

Yup. Supposedly there was something about avoiding the magical asian trope or some such nonsense. The SJ crowd seem to be ok with this because the ancient one was "A Racist Stereotype". Same as they had no problem with the IM3 twist making the Mandarin a white guy, because the Mandarin was a racist character in the comics. Despite through most of the movie Ben Kingsley pulled off a goddamned fantastic take on the Mandarin.(Though this is somewhat mediated by Trevor Slattery having plastic surgery to look like the real Mandarin who took offense to the misuse of his name, so they can still use Ben Kingsley if they bring him back)

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw Tomorrowland the other day. Hated it. It's not that is wasn't good, it wasn't. It's not that is was preachy. It was. It's that is was not good, preachy, and almost 3 hours long.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yup. Supposedly there was something about avoiding the magical asian trope or some such nonsense. The SJ crowd seem to be ok with this because the ancient one was "A Racist Stereotype". Same as they had no problem with the IM3 twist making the Mandarin a white guy, because the Mandarin was a racist character in the comics. Despite through most of the movie Ben Kingsley pulled off a goddamned fantastic take on the Mandarin.(Though this is somewhat mediated by Trevor Slattery having plastic surgery to look like the real Mandarin who took offense to the misuse of his name, so they can still use Ben Kingsley if they bring him back)

Tilda Swinton is great and would do well in the part. I can understand the logic - the magical asian guy is just as stereotypical as the magical black guy (say Legend of Bagger Vance) so there have been people who have issues with that. That said they could just cast a tibetian actor and...not put him in the asian mystic sterotype outfit and not treat him as a walking cliche spouting cryptic one liners and being inscrutable.

But little real care one way or the other, execution will be more important than anything else.

Some of it reminds me of Extreme Ops.

I enjoyed Extreme Ops in that way you like ridiculous movies like XXX or its sequels, a lot of flash but no substance.

I just oppose remakes of popular IPs on the grounds that i'm still not ****ing 30 and I shouldn't have to be nagging about how things used to be better.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sounds like the casting decisions for "The Good Earth" to me.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I can't help but be reminded of Mr Carradine being cast instead of Mr Lee in Kung Fu, Ms Swinton is quite a good actress but it's disturbing to see Asian actors still excluded like this. I hope it's not intentional.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Sounds like the casting decisions for "The Good Earth" to me.

• The character probably wouldn't be Tibetan if Swinton played him/her (in fact they'd probably not indicate where the character was from I would guess)
  • The casting of THE GOOD EARTH fell prey to two issues - while Pearl Buck's original intent when allowing MGM to make the film was for an all Chinese or Chinese American cast and Irving Thalberg agreed, he/the studio ultimately got cold feet regarding getting audiences in without a box-office star. This was the first issue as it lead to Paul Muni being cast as Wang Lung.  The second issue was the Hayes Code's "anti-miscegenation" rules meant they couldn't cast Anna May Wong as O-Lan like had originally been planned.  That pretty much deep-sixed Pearl Buck's goal and led to the cast used to make the film.
Edited by Amentep

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Mad Max, eat your hearth out. Best movie of the year.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

:facepalm:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Finally, Age of Ultron. Incidentally the first theater experience that failed to begin since Wolf (also starring James Spader ... hmm), way back in the reel days, melting in front of our eyes onscreen. This time, something digital failed to load, hard-locking at the Silence Cellphones Now screen. Thirty minutes later, I didn't cry at all during the Episode VII trailer in 3D. 

Anyway I loved it. Paul Bettany killed, Spader killed, Scarlet Witch is my new female, and ...

I totally lost it seeing Cap and Peggy Carter on the dance floor ... presumably just after 8 o'clock on the dot

The only thing was, toward the end, three-plus hours after sitting down, my eyes were swimming and it was hard to concentrate on the final act ... so, a question ... 

Is Quicksilver truly dead, I can't remember seeing him at the new Avengers HQ ...

Why was the Hulk by himself in a quinjet, and what happened to the com signal between he and Natasha ...

All Stop. On Screen.

Finally, Age of Ultron. Incidentally the first theater experience that failed to begin since Wolf (also starring James Spader ... hmm), way back in the reel days, melting in front of our eyes onscreen. This time, something digital failed to load, hard-locking at the Silence Cellphones Now screen. Thirty minutes later, I didn't cry at all during the Episode VII trailer in 3D. 

Anyway I loved it. Paul Bettany killed, Spader killed, Scarlet Witch is my new female, and ...

I totally lost it seeing Cap and Peggy Carter on the dance floor ... presumably just after 8 o'clock on the dot

The only thing was, toward the end, three-plus hours after sitting down, my eyes were swimming and it was hard to concentrate on the final act ... so, a question ... 

Is Quicksilver truly dead, I can't remember seeing him at the new Avengers HQ ...

Why was the Hulk by himself in a quinjet, and what happened to the com signal between he and Natasha ...

Yes he's dead. Which sucks because he was awesome.

I don't remember exactly why he was alone, I think he jumped on to take out some ultron bots and it happened to be flying away. He turned off the comlink. He wants to be alone. Supposedly it was originally heading into space and was going to set up Planet Hulk, but Universal still has the distribution rights for Hulk so Disney doesn't want to do any solo Hulk films.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ultron was so entertaining, I went home and double-featured the First Avenger and Winter Soldier. So weird, no one remembers ... or, at least I didn't ... the curly-haired engineer who tells Rumlow, aka Crossbones in Winter Soldier, **** off, "I'm not gonna launch those ships, captain's orders" ... and yet, there he is, in the next big-budget sequel, reprising a no-name role.

Continuity, good writing, and colorful costumes, make people happy, DC Comics, get with the program and sell Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman to Disney. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I would be happy with fox selling FF back to disney, just so they can do Dr Doom properly.

Devastatorsig.jpg