The Kickstarter Thread

CoM_Solaufein

• 2 weeks later...

The Kickstarter for Pathfinder: Kingmaker is live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker

They announced MCA right from the get go instead of saving him for a stretch goal.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the market is just too saturated with party-based, isometric crpgs.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 1 month later...

I was a backer during the successful Pathfinder CRPG campaign, and I had backed one or two more games during its duration, but then, almost like a got cold feet, I retracted them all.

Call it retrospective wisdom or whatever, but most of the KS games, items and projects I've backed (most of them a few years ago) turned out to be pretty disastrous or even worse, they weren't delivered or more or less scams, so I gave it all a ponder-over, and then I decided to just skip it. I'm very happy Owlcat did so well, and I will definitely buy the game when it comes out (but I'll still get it cheaper than during the KS) via GMG, for instance, in over a year from now, so why pre-order something which I'm not even sure will come into fruition. 

Yeah, I'm prolly the last person to come to this realization, but better late than never, huh?

P.S. I backed Obsdian hard on Fig, partly because I'm a fan of their work, and partly because they did create a very neat game with PoE1 - one of the few Kickstarter projects that delivered and then kept updating their game, making it even better.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I was disappointed that this Kickstarter project turned out to get so many bad reviews on release. I was really hoping it would be good. Oh well

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...

I was a backer during the successful Pathfinder CRPG campaign, and I had backed one or two more games during its duration, but then, almost like a got cold feet, I retracted them all.

Call it retrospective wisdom or whatever, but most of the KS games, items and projects I've backed (most of them a few years ago) turned out to be pretty disastrous or even worse, they weren't delivered or more or less scams, so I gave it all a ponder-over, and then I decided to just skip it. I'm very happy Owlcat did so well, and I will definitely buy the game when it comes out (but I'll still get it cheaper than during the KS) via GMG, for instance, in over a year from now, so why pre-order something which I'm not even sure will come into fruition. 

Yeah, I'm prolly the last person to come to this realization, but better late than never, huh?

P.S. I backed Obsdian hard on Fig, partly because I'm a fan of their work, and partly because they did create a very neat game with PoE1 - one of the few Kickstarter projects that delivered and then kept updating their game, making it even better.

I've been satisfied with most of the KS games I've contributed to, but then I was fairly conservative in my choices and the amount of my contributions. For Owlcat I thought about contributing but then decided not to, more because of general political reasons (Russian election meddling) than for the game itself. I'll probably still buy it down the road.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm still waiting on all of my favorite Sierra Adventure game developers to release their products. :p The only other dud I had was At The Gates, a Civ style game by the Civ 5 lead dev. But I didn't go all in on that one, so no big loss. I think I've come out ahead on the whole KS deal.

• Like 1

I've backed more than a few duds but I think that I'm doing pretty well with KS overall. I accept that it's a risk and I also tend to back anything not from an established studio/designer at a lower tier so I don't feel that bad if my 10 to 20 bucks doesn't eventually land me a GOTY contender.

Burnout is more of an issue than disappointment

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm decently happy to very happy with my backing of different crowd funding projects. My biggest disappointment was Torment: Tides of Numenera. On the other hand, my gut feeling was that it was impossible for it not to be a disappointment.

My recent backings include Deadfire and Sunless Skies.... what does that tell you?

Hopefully I regret neither.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Do you get your money back in those situations or just chalk it up as a loss?

There's no refund for a failed investment, no. There have been some instances where they were offered, but in this case NGS went bankrupt. There's nothing to get any longer.

Comes with the turf and all.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Unfortunately the update does say that those who backed will not be seeing refunds. Sorry to hear that, majestic. :(

Eh, that's fine. I don't spend money on Kickstarter projects expecting refunds if the project goes kaputt and I'm really not going to miss the 50$ I spent on Resurgence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the update does say that those who backed will not be seeing refunds. Sorry to hear that, majestic. :(

Eh, that's fine. I don't spend money on Kickstarter projects expecting refunds if the project goes kaputt and I'm really not going to miss the 50$ I spent on Resurgence.

Very noble of you, this is a good attitude to have.

I would feel the same if I were in your shoes. I mean, it's a chance and nothing is ever guarenteed in fund-raiser projects or even early access tiles which are already funded with a publisher. You win some and lose some.

I hope the best for your future endeavors!

Btw...

This looks amazing and I'll buy it when it comes out.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/bounty-battle

• 2 weeks later...

Forbidden Unit

"Sci-fi turn-based combat RPG, with sneaking, hacking, fighting, destructions and rich story focused on four main characters."

From the video it looks pretty decent. It's off to a slow start though. Kickstarter burnout perhaps?

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Wow, Kingmaker's backer portal has to be the worst I've had to register yet.

Never mind that I feel like I've just given my.ru another valid e-mail address to sell. *sigh*

Never mind that I feel like I've just given my.ru another valid e-mail address to sell. *sigh*

Took me exactly one minute to deal with. What was the problem?

Took me exactly one minute to deal with. What was the problem?

The main site has no login or signup section, for one, and clicking the link in the mail didn't work after signing up and logging in at the preorder shop. So I tried with signing up at the forums. Nope.

Had to manually copy and paste it while being logged in in order to transfer my pledge. Wasn't the only one going by some forum posts.

Sure it's not a big deal but every other developer, even the one-man indie shows  I've backed so far, managed to make this less of a hassle. Of course none of those used the backer portal as a webshop. *shrug*

I also just received a russian scam mail. Apparently a really pretty girl is interested in me. *sigh*

Although that might just have been a coincidence. ;)