New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

Another thing confirmed on their fourms (by one of their UI artists, no less): All those EQUIP, DROP and other UI invo stuff are all placeholders, the same goes for some of the DM UI functions.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

To be fair, SCS is really damn complex when compared to pretty much any vanilla AI.

Oh, you are absolutely right. SCS is so complex that it made my old computer stutter when too many things were going on. I bought that computer in like, 2005. BG2 was released in 2000. IIRC vanilla AI scripts were 400-odd lines long. SCS scripts were easily 4x longer. Further, I'd argue that baseline SCS difficulty is nowhere near entry-level.

However, DavidW is not a professional programmer as far as I know, and he did it (plus compatibility) by himself. AI programming is, IMO, seen as a waste of effort by devs, beyond the most barebones functionality. I... can't say they are wrong, considering the industry is mostly geared towards pushing out title after title as fast as possible, with replayability value being an afterthought, if at all. Ah well.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Further, I'd argue that baseline SCS difficulty is nowhere near entry-level.

That it certainly isn't.

For that reason I don't really like SCS as an example of 'good' AI as I tend to think of it as being 'hard' AI instead, and it really is a mod for repeat players looking for a challenge or at very least people who know the D&D systems well. It is probably close to what fighting a human controlled opposition that had previously played the game would be, in one way a big compliment but not necessarily a good thing in all circumstances since you have to fight dozens to hundreds of such battles while they only have to fight one. Personally I found that it just encouraged the use of exploits and meta/ foreknowledge and especially in BG1 but also in BG2 introduced even more 'haha' moments where your (low level, especially) party gets arbitrarily splattered and you just have to reload. End of the day a good AI should be challenging and exploit mistakes and the like, but should not be intrinsically and arbitrarily punishing. Most any commercial game is going to try and avoid AI that is too hard because when it comes right down to it most people want to win.

What the hell. Count me in.

I just pre-ordered. Here's hoping it won't suck.

Finally, I took the plunge as well, and those murky waters were darn deep, Deluxe-deep. :geek:

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You are brave souls, there is no way I will preorder a game this early even if it has D&D as part of its marketing :D

Hopefully they give us more info this week as they have been hinting on their forums. Also some gameplay videos or twitch streams might be incoming.

• Like 1

Ironic comment from someone with a KS badge.

It might seem similar to you but it is not. And it is not a KS badge, I got the game from OE website in summer of 2014 after backer beta was released and I was able to see that this is a game I would like to play and would buy after release anyways and it was much cheaper to get it through OE website than it would be through Steam later.

For SCL there is very little real info or video out for anyone to make an informed decision. At this point preordering is doing in based on faith and D&D name.

Yup, this is what would be called very shady marketing, if it was any other goods offered that way. Almost no actual offered to customers besides "IT'Z DnD ZOMG BUY!11"

But still I really wish, this will be up to everyone's high expectations, because this world needs more RPGs!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

You are brave souls, there is no way I will preorder a game this early even if it has D&D as part of its marketing :D

Hopefully they give us more info this week as they have been hinting on their forums. Also some gameplay videos or twitch streams might be incoming.

I buy so few games these days. The last one I bought was Skyrim. I preordered Out of the Park Baseball 15, which comes out next week, PoE just because I think the Obsidian guys were way overdue for an original IP, and this because it is supposed to have a tool set similar to what NWN1 & 2 used. Unless Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 4 comes out this year that's probably all my game buying for a while to come.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I buy so few games these days. The last one I bought was Skyrim. I preordered Out of the Park Baseball 15, which comes out next week, PoE just because I think the Obsidian guys were way overdue for an original IP, and this because it is supposed to have a tool set similar to what NWN1 & 2 used. Unless Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 4 comes out this year that's probably all my game buying for a while to come.

This (complex) toolset was not confirmed. There is some toolset mentioned but with almost no details. We know less about it than we know about how much they adapted D&D 5e mechanics and we know very little about that as well.

Your preorder at this point is only blind faith and no different than people preordering Watchdogs, Destiny and other games based on PR promises.

Edited by archangel979

:lol:

The screen shots look great. And the game has actual Healing! WooooHoooo. I usually only go with the cheapest tier because I generally don't care about soudtracks or whatnot but the deluxe edition comes with that extra tile set (which Ill never use a single time).  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

Gfted1: You forgot all that sweet, sweet XP, for all baddies no less, along with fumbles and many other D&D staples. :)

As for that tileset: It will surely be handy when you play multiplayer with others and stuff.

Gfted1: You forgot all that sweet, sweet XP, for all baddies no less, along with fumbles and many other D&D staples. original.gif

epic-high-five-batman.jpg

As for that tileset: It will surely be handy when you play multiplayer with others and stuff.

Yeah, I suppose everyone involved in the session will need the same tile sets.

• Like 2

Gfted1: You forgot all that sweet, sweet XP, for all baddies no less, along with fumbles and many other D&D staples. original.gif

epic-high-five-batman.jpg

Yeah, I suppose everyone involved in the session will need the same tile sets.

Robin is PoE in that picture!

I wonder if the game will release on Xbox as well with the devs being part of the MS's Windows 10 id@xbox program now, alongside Divinity: Original Sin (for which a controller/console version was already considered) and Wasteland 2 (for which a console version was recently announced).

35167v4.jpg

This (complex) toolset was not confirmed. There is some toolset mentioned but with almost no details. We know less about it than we know about how much they adapted D&D 5e mechanics and we know very little about that as well.

Your preorder at this point is only blind faith and no different than people preordering Watchdogs, Destiny and other games based on PR promises.

Oh it's a gamble. No argument there.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:lol:

The screen shots look great. And the game has actual Healing! WooooHoooo. I usually only go with the cheapest tier because I generally don't care about soudtracks or whatnot but the deluxe edition comes with that extra tile set (which Ill never use a single time).  Decisions, decisions...

I went for the deluxe. What the heck.

Thomas Sowell

I'm considering pre-ordering also.  Some of the things look damned silly, I have to admit.  I mean, I don't even care about the gold badge on *this* forum.  Still, some of the things in the packages actually look cool.  I imagine I'd stick with the Digital Deluxe, but I could maybe be persuaded to get whatever the next one was for the extra copies to give to friends.  Decisions decisions decisions!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If you guys join the forum over there please use the same names as here. That way I wont insult or speak ill of you over there. Indria & I both did. :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I joined just to poke my head in and see things.  There are things I don't like as much, such as the fact that the toolset is pushed as strenuously as the game.  At least it kind of seems that way to me.  When I see them pushing DM mode, I start to worry about the quality of the single player campaign.  Still, it looks interesting.  I even chimed in on scaling, which I dislike and sometimes despise.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The NWN campaign was just god-awful. It was the toolset that made that game. I'm hoping for better from this but I'm one of the ones over there hoping for a well thought out and useful toolset. Hopefully one at least as capable as NWNs was. 

Thomas Sowell

The NWN campaign was just god-awful. It was the toolset that made that game. I'm hoping for better from this but I'm one of the ones over there hoping for a well thought out and useful toolset. Hopefully one at least as capable as NWNs was.

If they cannot make a good SP campaign there is no point in buying it at release but at 50% on a sale when also more content is made by users.