Why ban our pretty lady thread?

Sarex

Huh?

I mean, I read most of the topics on WoT, I just click on the ones that are highlighted as unread and move up or down.  So yeah, I have to pause and make sure I don't click on that one and the GG one.  I have a legitimate reason for this, if I'm at work and students are milling about, and I bring up pictures of scantily clad women, that is going to cause major issues for me.  It's also possible for network administrators to see my browsing history.  Sure, a gaming forum may already be questionable, but threads about movies or communism hardly raise the same problems as one with women.

Ok, so then it wasn't something of little impact then. What is the issue with the GG thread though, other than images of dumb Twitter postings.

I find it sorta funny that the guy that is drawing the most flak for this is the only one in the whole community that posted pics of his (smoking hot) wife.

That's the internets for you, I guess.  =]

Kind of odd, that. He made the thread he posted in NSFW.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lets dial back the hostility and hyperbole, please. You don't have to like the decision.

Gfted1 I'm still surprised that no one has commented  that even though the Pretty Women Thread is closed down I'm still active, thats got to count for something  :teehee: 

That's because we haven't bathed in the radiant light of your beauty. Unfortunately for you, I just asked a WoT mod to close that thread too. :(

• Like 1

Lets dial back the hostility and hyperbole, please. You don't have to like the decision.

Pft, what fun will this forum be then ? :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Huh?

I mean, I read most of the topics on WoT, I just click on the ones that are highlighted as unread and move up or down.  So yeah, I have to pause and make sure I don't click on that one and the GG one.  I have a legitimate reason for this, if I'm at work and students are milling about, and I bring up pictures of scantily clad women, that is going to cause major issues for me.  It's also possible for network administrators to see my browsing history.  Sure, a gaming forum may already be questionable, but threads about movies or communism hardly raise the same problems as one with women.

Ok, so then it wasn't something of little impact then. What is the issue with the GG thread though, other than images of dumb Twitter postings.

The GG one is personal preference.  It hurts my head to read it.  :p

So just to be clear, what was the rule that the thread was breaking? Or are the moderators regulating content that an unreasonable person might find offensive?

It's really not that reasonable to go to Obsidian Entertainment's forum to look at pictures of pretty woman.  So I don't know why anyone here is surprised that it is shut down.  WoT by definition is really not a reasonable part of the forums.  They could just shut the whole thing down if they feel it is too controversial.  

Why is this such a big deal for you guys?  You have sooooo many other places devoted to pretty women.  

• Like 2

Not surprised Hurlshot and Bruce are okay with this. This is silly.  These are pics that can be seen anywhere including the beach and it's nice to see a collection in one spot. Wasn't like it was 'sexist' since there was a 'hot man' thread - just wasn't as popular. *shrug*

Don't like a thread don't read it. That's what I do.

\

Oh well. All those complaints about BIo boards being 'too restrictive' and Obsidian boasrds being 'free' has been proven to be flat out lies.

That said, Obsidian boards their rules.

." It's not about political correctness, "

Yes it is. Why pretend otherwise. Someone complained (mod or otherwise) and said they were tasteless. And, Obsidian shut it down for PC reasons. The thread was up for how long and the forum didn't fall apart now Obsidian considers the thread evil? LMAO

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Of course. But you will have to dig it up from page 1000. :lol:

I'd forgotten about that thread too. Closed it...only fair. ;)

My viewpoint on the whole affair is that the thread itself isn't conceptually a big deal (any more than a male version of such a thread would be, lol)  but that there can be a world of difference between the "internet's" concept of PG-13 and what a company forum might consider PG-13. I have, in the past, occasionally edited past versions for such reasons. I've left it alone since I've been back, but I would personally agree with the decision to close it. *shrug*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Huh?

The GG one is personal preference.  It hurts my head to read it.   :p

So just to be clear, what was the rule that the thread was breaking? Or are the moderators regulating content that an unreasonable person might find offensive?

It's really not that reasonable to go to Obsidian Entertainment's forum to look at pictures of pretty woman.  So I don't know why anyone here is surprised that it is shut down.  WoT by definition is really not a reasonable part of the forums.  They could just shut the whole thing down if they feel it is too controversial.  

Why is this such a big deal for you guys?  You have sooooo many other places devoted to pretty women.  

Seems then preference should just be employed and it's no problem.   Also, all blades are ok until they swing at you, so to speak.  It was a popular thread so I guess there was some reason in the pro column, there being other places isn't all that relevant as they can nuke the entire board and not much will be lost.

Not surprised Hurlshot and Bruce are okay with this. This is silly.  These are pics that can be seen anywhere including the beach and it's nice to see a collection in one spot. Wasn't like it was 'sexist' since there was a 'hot man' thread - just wasn't as popular. *shrug*

Don't like a thread don't read it. That's what I do.

\

Oh well. All those complaints about BIo boards being 'too restrictive' and Obsidian boasrds being 'free' has been proven to be flat out lies.

That said, Obsidian boards their rules.

." It's not about political correctness, "

Yes it is. Why pretend otherwise. Someone complained (mod or otherwise) and said they were tasteless. And, Obsidian shut it down for PC reasons. The thread was up for how long and the forum didn't fall apart now Obsidian considers the thread evil? LMAO

You right Volo I'm 100 % okay with that thread  being closed , I very seldom use to frequent that thread anyway. I don't think pictures of women in bikinis objectifies women as I've said in the past but I do understand how it would offend other people with more conservative views. 

Also I  only really care about my threads being closed down. Its a tough hard world Volo, we need to be concerned about our own threads :biggrin:

Also its not such a big deal the thread was closed, this way we we can spend more time discussing other things  :dancing:

Also there is nothing wrong with an element of political correctness...thats the way the world works 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I think some of you that work in offices should take all the pictures from those threads and put them up on the walls of your cubicles.  Don't let the corporate world repress you!  tongue.png"

You shouldn't be on the internet on game forums at work anyways. Don't be lazy and do your job!

"Also its not such a big deal the thread was closed, this way we we can spend more time discussing other things"

Nah.

"I don't think pictures of women in bikinis objectifies women as I've said in the past but I do understand how it would offend other people with more conservative views."

You want to appease conservatives? WHY? I believe in freedom. By erasing those threads you are manspalininjg to the women who chose to share those pictures with the public and telling them they are evil for sharing their 'sexy' pics and that they should cover up because it is immoral to show off yourself physically. Don't  justify  such controlling behaviour. That's what ISIS wants. :(

Edited by Volourn

Orog its a gaming forum, not a website for pictures of scantily dressed women? I can understand people complaining 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Orog its a gaming forum, not a website for pictures of scantily dressed women?"

\

\Poor argument.  This WOT. By definition every thread here should be closed. Is that what you want?

Orog its a gaming forum, not a website for pictures of scantily dressed women? I can understand people complaining

But it is in the OT subforum, so doesn't apply.

"I think some of you that work in offices should take all the pictures from those threads and put them up on the walls of your cubicles.  Don't let the corporate world repress you!  tongue.png"

You shouldn't be on the internet on game forums at work anyways. Don't be lazy and do your job!

"Also its not such a big deal the thread was closed, this way we we can spend more time discussing other things"

Nah.

"I don't think pictures of women in bikinis objectifies women as I've said in the past but I do understand how it would offend other people with more conservative views."

You want to appease conservatives? WHY? I believe in freedom. By erasing those threads you are manspalininjg to the women who chose to share those pictures with the public and telling them they are evil for sharing their 'sexy' pics and that they should cover up because it is immoral to show off yourself physically. Don't  justify  such controlling behaviour. That's what ISIS wants. :(

Sure I agree to a certain agree but we also have to consider the fact that there are people who come to this thread and would be concerned about that thread?

John Milton 

Look at it like a tv series. It got 5 seasons, that's not bad a bad run, oh well, move on.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Orog its a gaming forum, not a website for pictures of scantily dressed women?"

\

\Poor argument.  This WOT. By definition every thread here should be closed. Is that what you want?

\

But it is in the OT subforum, so doesn't apply.

But you guys are confusing discussions with photos? So if you want to start a thread discussing women in bikinis I don't think that would be an issue....its the photós I think that are the problem?

John Milton 

Well just that you were saying it was outside the realm of gaming, most of the stuff here is.

I'm finding it hard to be upset, to be honest. Yeah, you can avoid it if you want to but at the same time it's trivially easy to get the same content from other sources, indeed I suspect most of the images came from Google Image Search as it was. On most gaming sites the thread would never have been allowed in the first place, nor would a lot of those on the front pages- and any public disagreement with the moderation team would be met with deletion and bans.

And there were several moderational notes previous about it skirting the line in terms of acceptability and asking for no bikini shots etc that were adhered to for a week or so and then ignored. I was quite surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Fundamentally though, there's no expectation of free speech on company property: their place, their rules.

• Like 1

Well just that you were saying it was outside the realm of gaming, most of the stuff here is.

My bad, I see your point. I should have said its the content that was a concern, not the fact its outside of gaming discussions because this whole part of the forum is not about gaming 

John Milton 

Dunno, if I were to guess I would say it was deemed too much work to patrol the thread. Maybe someone thought it shouldn't necesarilly become a staple of the forum. Family friendly versus a certain sausage fest vibe. Not entirely unfair obejctions. 

On principle I come out on the side of the free exchange of thoughts and ideas nearly every time, just don't particularly really care this time. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm finding it hard to be upset, to be honest. Yeah, you can avoid it if you want to but at the same time it's trivially easy to get the same content from other sources, indeed I suspect most of the images came from Google Image Search as it was. On most gaming sites the thread would never have been allowed in the first place, nor would a lot of those on the front pages- and any public disagreement with the moderation team would be met with deletion and bans.

And there were several moderational notes previous about it skirting the line in terms of acceptability and asking for no bikini shots etc that were adhered to for a week or so and then ignored. I was quite surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Fundamentally though, there's no expectation of free speech on company property: their place, their rules.

It might be an irrational fear of overmoderation, what with what its going on on the web right now. The fact is that it wasn't technically against the rules otherwise it wouldn't have had enough thread titles to go through the entire Star Wars saga and Pretty woman and post where moderated on a case basis. So it has to be questioned, why now and why over complaints? Is complaining now enough to get stuff banned, or is this just a preventive measure to avoid moralist rage? 

So I guess that I would feel more comfortable with the decision if I knew what the actual cause of it is an not a vague response. 

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I dunno, I hadn't looked at the thread in awhile, but there had been previous warnings that the thread shouldn't just be women in string bikinis (or nothing strategically covered by non-clothing; IIRC the warning was after about 10 thong butt shot pictures) and yet last time I looked at the thread it seemed like that's what people kept coming back to with their posts - women in skimpy lingerie, exercise wear, and bikinis.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man