Why ban our pretty lady thread?

Sarex

Thanks TrueNeutral ...

If you have a concern about the choice, please feel free to PM me - I love a good chat. Regardless, when concerns are raised about objectification based on gender and such concerns filters all the way up the Roost, seems I should do something once in a while. WoT's got a long history of that fence walking and this one seems to have passed into the Annals of Memory. 

PS Nice to see such passion still burning in Ye Olde WoT ;)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Malc - I don't run WoT, none of my business. I weighed in on the discussion with a +1 after other mods stated they were unsure of how appropriate the thread was but that's where my involvement ends. It's been a source of discussion amongst mods since before I was one. This thread has been straddling the line for a long time and it was finally decided it was too far on the other side of that line.

I really don't appreciate the witchhunt mentality here - nobody reported or objected to that specific thread (and Hurlshot never mentioned any of his objections to us) so stop hunting for a scapegoat to burn in effigy, as tempting as that may be. The decision falls squarely as a united decision by the mods (who are volunteers, I'd like to point out) and Obsidian employees.

Sarex' remark about spring cleaning isn't far off the mark, though the timing is coincidental. I'm not really supposed to talk about what goes on behind the scenes so I may be out of line here, but we feel the vibe on the boards has become somewhat more hostile than it was and certainly not very welcoming to new members (the PoE forums are especially prone to flamewars) and complaints from members, both new and old, AND developers confirmed it. We believe a certain loosening of standards and too loosely interpreted guidelines are the cause (if you check the actual rules, you'll see they are pretty ambiguous and we've been using them about as loosely as we can to allow for the most free discussions that Obsidian will allow), so we'll be tightening things up slightly.

Ah, but witch hunts are fun and it is fun to guess who would get upset and stamp their foot about the thread at any rate. As for hostility, not really seeing that, people arguing and being snarky as they have been over the last 5 years I've been watching here (though I think someone was whining there was too much bashing of Americans and cops here - the last one is headscratcher).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To be fair, there was quite alot of vapour wear, and the thongs of shielding were'nt quite up to it.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It doesn't really matter how modest they are, a thread devoted to the way women look isn't appropriate on a forum for a gaming company.  We can argue that nothing is WoT is really appropriate, hence being off topic, but that is the line that has been drawn and it shouldn't be difficult to accept.  You have plenty of other places to look at lady parts, if you so desire.  

So you made the board even more boring. Fantastic.

And Hurlshot.. having to "actively avoid reading a thread". Are you by any chance insane? Does your reality make it seem that threads click on you and not the other way around? You need help.

Wankers, all of you.

• Like 5

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It doesn't really matter how modest they are, a thread devoted to the way women look isn't appropriate on a forum for a gaming company.  We can argue that nothing is WoT is really appropriate, hence being off topic, but that is the line that has been drawn and it shouldn't be difficult to accept.  You have plenty of other places to look at lady parts, if you so desire.

Hmm...

Anyway, I suppose there were some non-PG13 photos there but I guess the objectification of women was offensive to some. Making it seem more professional might be it, at least at a cursory glance. Well, at least we still have the gun thread before that gets nixed for advocating militarism or something. ;)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Eh, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

No one really came to the Obs boards to look at ladies, it was just one of those amusing threads that started randomly and kept going with odd diversions of thought and discussion here and there.

Along with Oby's wanderings into racial superiority, and poking fun at Woldan's very masculine women.. :shifty:

I don't think anyone took it that seriously, so as the official policy gets turned to tighten up some of the loose regulations, we can expect such things to get tidied out. It's not going to destroy the community, and that's pretty much why folk lurk around and throw things into threads.

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'll try to relate to the disappointment here.  Obsidian took away the boobs!

wambulance.gif

Have I met the proper maturity level now?

You're reliable, at least.

• Like 1

So you made the board even more boring. Fantastic.

And Hurlshot.. having to "actively avoid reading a thread". Are you by any chance insane? Does your reality make it seem that threads click on you and not the other way around? You need help.

Wankers, all of you.

So I already said it was simply a thread I avoided (at least until late at night when I could furtively sneak a peak  :blush: )

Hence the reason I never bothered to report it.  But I'm certainly not surprised or disappointed that it is gone.  It has very little impact on my forum experience here.

If it was something you have to actively avoid, that doesn't seem like something of little impact.

*facepalm*

Of all the bs in these forums, THAT thread gets shut down as improper. You Americans and your strange obsessions, you make the Victorians seem positively balanced.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And someone is apparently forcing them to read every thread on this board, despite some pretty f-cking clear thread titles, some of which makes them very offended and we're very lucky if they "never bothered to report it".

And that's supposed to be a teacher if I'm not mistaken. The sheer stupidity is the only thing offensive here.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I find it sorta funny that the guy that is drawing the most flak for this is the only one in the whole community that posted pics of his (smoking hot) wife.

That's the internets for you, I guess.  =]

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If it was something you have to actively avoid, that doesn't seem like something of little impact.

Huh?

I mean, I read most of the topics on WoT, I just click on the ones that are highlighted as unread and move up or down.  So yeah, I have to pause and make sure I don't click on that one and the GG one.  I have a legitimate reason for this, if I'm at work and students are milling about, and I bring up pictures of scantily clad women, that is going to cause major issues for me.  It's also possible for network administrators to see my browsing history.  Sure, a gaming forum may already be questionable, but threads about movies or communism hardly raise the same problems as one with women.  

Does this mean oby's men thread is kill too?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So just to be clear, what was the rule that the thread was breaking? Or are the moderators regulating content that an unreasonable person might find offensive?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Lets dial back the hostility and hyperbole, please. You don't have to like the decision.

Gfted1 I'm still surprised that no one has commented  that even though the Pretty Women Thread is closed down I'm still active, thats got to count for something  :teehee: 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I didn't even remember there was a men thread. I remember there was a rodent and an insect thread.

Yes but it didn't last long as it was mostly pictures of men's men.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif