Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

I would say that a lightsaber NOT having a crossguard is very, very stupid. there's a reason swords have them - to stop someone from sliding his blade down yours and cutting off your fingers/hand.

Any proper swords needs a crossguard. Now, it is stupid to be open from the underside. What the lightsaber in question needs is another crossguard just below the red lightsaber one to prevent contact with the hand. That, or a crossguard made from some magicla material that resist lightsabers.

Allow me to illustrate:

I'm not entirely one hundred percent certain of this, but lightsabres don't slide against each other, they "magnetically" lock or something like that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So...it's just fantasy, people.  You can make the argument that a good science fiction property needs to try and make real world sense, but Star Wars has never been science fiction.  It's fantasy, people shoot lightning out of their fingers.

When a setting, fantasy or not, does not follow its own rules, it is usually the result of sloppy and lazy writing. Bear in mind, i haven't read the thread that carefully.

But at the same time, i wouldn't venture into a Star Trek-convention and say "It's just Sci-Fi, what's the matter with you people" :p

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I would say that a lightsaber NOT having a crossguard is very, very stupid. there's a reason swords have them - to stop someone from sliding his blade down yours and cutting off your fingers/hand.

Any proper swords needs a crossguard. Now, it is stupid to be open from the underside. What the lightsaber in question needs is another crossguard just below the red lightsaber one to prevent contact with the hand. That, or a crossguard made from some magicla material that resist lightsabers.

Allow me to illustrate:

I would say that a lightsaber not having a crossguard is very practical, yours is a false equivalence argument because swords are not lightsabers. Firstly; lightsabers have no weight and cut on momentum alone. Secondly; lightsabers are not just for humans, we all need to accept that the galaxy is a diverse place and that everyone needs to be equally represented even if it leads to fewer fingers.

There are such materials that resist lightsabers but they are rare, I would say that an armored glove with a force field that acts as a guard without restricting movement would be better. 

A crossguard is always practical. There's a reason every useful sword in history has it.

Momentum or not, the blade still does the cutting and sliding it down WILL cut your fingers off..or whatever type of appendage you use to hold it.

The pommel, crossquard and quillions of a blade have historically been used as a weapon/striking point too. Some of it fall into water with lightsabers since you can't use the same techniques, like half-swording.

IIRC; cortosis can resist lightsabers, so a crossguard made of it would make most sense (like in that lightsaber mod above).

Also IIRC, it's too impractical to make gloves from.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The blade doesn't slide down, is an energy blade and it doesn't have a surface to slide from. The field doesn't react until it hits something and then its closer to being something with mass.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I always found the notion of resorting to lightsabres when one has control of vast telekinetic and telepathic powers to be somewhat redundant. An enemy assails you, snap their neck with a glance, crush their heart, slit their throat etcetera, without even raising a hand. To resort to melee seems a to me a risky and dubious method of resolving conflict, when a much more effective use of their powers exists. Manipulation and dominance such as Kreia practised seems even more efficient than partaking in fencing with lasers.

"I have the higher ground Anny!"

"Yes but i've just torn your heart out old chap."

"Oh bugger!"

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Allow me to illustrate:

greatsabres1lu.th.jpg

k2000025an.th.jpg

A lightsaber doesn't have any appreciable mass though, so you could change your angle of attack, and your parry angle with a simple flick of the wrist. This would make it much easier to present an angle with your parry that doesn't grant leverage to the attacker.  Still not a convincing reason not to have one though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I always found the notion of resorting to lightsabres when one has control of vast telekinetic and telepathic powers to be somewhat redundant. An enemy assails you, snap their neck with a glance, crush their heart, slit their throat etcetera, without even raising a hand. To resort to melee seems a to me a risky and dubious method of resolving conflict, when a much more effective use of their powers exists. Manipulation and dominance such as Kreia practised seems even more efficient than partaking in fencing with lasers.

"I have the higher ground Anny!"

"Yes but i've just torn your heart out old chap."

"Oh bugger!"

Easy:  Lightsabres are "elegant" and "civilized" weapons.  That other stuff isn't. 

There was this rather lengthy discussion somewhere on how even the most unskilled Jedi could block most telekinetic attacks, unless severly distracted and that - on average - a jedi is mostly fighting people with blasters, which takes a lot of skill and power to block without a light saber.

+ tradition and symbolic/recognition value I guess. They are sorta like the Janissary of that setting.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've noticed that people hate the SW7 teaser if they love the JW teaser, and vice versa. There's no middle ground.

What is middle ground in this case?

I don't like either trailer and my interest in both films thus far is "I'll wait for it to come on on-demand and even then I probably won't get around to it for a while." 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1) Yes he was. If you are a five year old who cannot process nuance and everything has to be jesus-chirst-purity white or black-hole black.

Or if you like a high fantasy story of good vs evil. You should also keep in mind that Starwars is meant for ten year old kids. George Lucas has said so himself. It's not meant to be sophisticated or nuanced, and any attempt to make it so just makes it lame. As an adult watching the Starwars originals brings out my inner child; while watching the prequels drains my will to live.

The fact that the originals were beloved and iconic classics is validation of my stance. The prequels followed your logic and are crappy, boring, and held in complete contempt by nearly everyone who sees them.

I wonder why you insist on shoehorning in sophistication and nuance into a universe they will never belong in; while ruining that universe's primary appeal.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Or if you like a high fantasy story of good vs evil. You should also keep in mind that Starwars is meant for ten year old kids. George Lucas has said so himself.

George Lucas also said that Greedo shot first...

The original trilogy, without a doubt the first two movies, were made for people of all ages. If those movies just appealed to kids, they would not have been near as successful as they were. Nor would so many people be wanting to be seeing them decades later, or be invested in what the sequel trilogy will bring us. The addition of the original cast would not be so important if they just wanted to appeal to 10 year olds.

I'm too lazy to duckduckgo it, so what's the news re: the original cast roles/screen time, anyway? Last time I saw Harrison Ford was in that alien/cowboy movie, where I kept thinking he looked and sounded way too old for this ****, which was very distracting.

eg I hope their roles aren't action-y ones.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There was this rather lengthy discussion somewhere on how even the most unskilled Jedi could block most telekinetic attacks, unless severly distracted and that - on average - a jedi is mostly fighting people with blasters, which takes a lot of skill and power to block without a light saber.

+ tradition and symbolic/recognition value I guess. They are sorta like the Janissary of that setting.

I can see Jedi and Sith being trained to deflect force powers, I just don't see it as being a hard counter, more of a gradation based on a users skill and power...i'm thinking too much like a GM, sorry.

Of course the real tragedy is that we will now have seven Star Wars movies and yet still only one Spaceballs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

duckduckgo

It does'nt really have a nice ring to it, does it?

i'm thinking too much like a GM, sorry.

Force Defence as a Free Action, and generally massively high saves on force users makes it a pain to land a hit and a waste of Vitality points. :geek:

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

duckduckgo

Another good one is ixquick. Neither are data-mining you like google, bing, et al.

I definitely appreciate LadyCrimson's effort to not use that all too popular phrase synonymous with a 'web search' named for a once great but now long inferior search engine from what's become a really evil corporation that most think is benign.

• Like 3

duckduckgo

Another good one is ixquick. Neither are data-mining you like google, bing, et al.

Thanks, gives me another option.

...and yeah, duckduckgo is an odd name. But I haven't actually used google's search engine in ages, so I started thinking I should stop saying "google." ;)

• Like 3

Or if you like a high fantasy story of good vs evil. You should also keep in mind that Starwars is meant for ten year old kids. George Lucas has said so himself.

George Lucas also said that Greedo shot first...

The original trilogy, without a doubt the first two movies, were made for people of all ages. If those movies just appealed to kids, they would not have been near as successful as they were. Nor would so many people be wanting to be seeing them decades later, or be invested in what the sequel trilogy will bring us. The addition of the original cast would not be so important if they just wanted to appeal to 10 year olds.

Starwars was based on Flash Gorden; a kids show. When making the original script George Lucas wanted it to be, "A movie a ten year old would love." (From his biography) With the original trilogy he never strayed from that premise. Don't get me wrong; he didn't design the movie to alienate adults, but ten year old kids were the target. The fact that such a wide audience enjoyed the movie came as a complete shock to Lucas.

We've already seen the results of both approaches to Starwars. Make it a story of the heroic good guys fighting the evil bad guys (The originals) and you get some of the greatest movies ever made. Make it morally unclear and have sympathetic villains and you get the prequels. Movies that are sub-par at best.

For episode 7 a good villain will have more in common with this: 

Evilmon.jpg

Than this:

leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.