Let's talk about your New Game anticipation rituals

So Pillars of Eternity will be released later this year, and if you are in the Western hemisphere it will be winter.

What ohmigoditsanewgame rituals do you have?

I stopped having them some time ago, as very few games genuinely excite me upon release any more. PoE is an exception. So:

* I'll take a day off

* Open a bottle of claret

* Re-start about fifteen times

* Enjoy

Not very unusual, admittedly, but I'm sure some people have some more interesting ways of celebrating the release of a much-anticipated game. Of course, I'd prefer a bevy of hot cosplayers in chainmail bikinis to visit my house and make out to celebrate, but Obisidian nowadays is too PC for that.

Discuss.

• Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

"* Re-start about fifteen times"

Only fifteen times? You'll be kicked out of the Olde Skool and forced to remove the logo from your signature if you restart less than 50 times! :devil:

(Ah, I remember spending an entire afternoon plus evening in M&M 7 creating my party over and over... That game had insane skill pressure.)

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Tell my dear girlfriend she won't be seeing me for at least 3 days. Actually I've already told her that, she's ready.. Then take an extended weekend off and play till my retinas hurt.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Tell my dear girlfriend she won't be seeing me for at least 3 days. Actually I've already told her that, she's ready.. Then take an extended weekend off and play till my retinas hurt.

Pansy -- play til they go numb  ;).

With the mention of the Beta release coming in August I was considering making a long weekend of it ... but it's slated for a Monday (aside to Obsidian -- Friday the 15th would totally be better ... pushing it back to the 22nd would be sad, but then "long weekend of new Beta" would offset some (all) of the sad).

When the game releases, I'm probably gonna be taking some time off work, and playing restarting nonstop.

Edited by neo6874

From ye good old days of bg2 purchase

*Get game box, read words on the back of box. Gaze longingly at pictures of said game. (recheck system requirements)

*Wait until home before opening box and spend the train ride dreaming about the game.

*Open game box, take a whiff of new game smell, check the contents and open the manual.

*Read manual while installing the game paying particular attention to lore details and companions.

*Play game and get lost in it for a while. Feel blown away by presentation and attention to detail.

*Wonder why no one had come up with something even close up until now, dream of glorious rpg future.

*Realise game was exception not the norm ~ disappointment seeps in until...

• Like 3

Beta comes out on my son's first birthday. It's OK to skip that, right? I mean, he's not going to remember. Of course, when he's older he'll be like, 'Daddy, why aren't you in any of the photos of my first birthday?' 'Because Daddy was playing PoE all day'.

I'd play it with him but to be honest he struggles to grasp to the concept of armour DR and the combat mechanics.    

• Like 6

Your fun is wrong.

-Be inexplicably unavailable for any work until duly noted

-Download game

-Listen to the great new music and stare like a deer into approaching headlights on a freeway at night

-Begin the lovely and lengthy process of character creation. I set off a full day for that

-Still, I'll send off a skimpy elf ranger called Indira Lightfoot into the adventure

-Consume only the best Belgian chocolate in small savoury bits

-Make dreams come true

• Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

So Pillars of Eternity will be released later this year, and if you are in the Western hemisphere it will be winter.

Northern :p

My ritual will probably look like simple as this:

1. Listen to my wife go "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"
  2. Playyyyyyy!

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Already setting things in motion, talked with the father in law and he's amenable to a visit before Christmas, so i'm going to pack off the wife and kids when Poe releases. I've got a week of holidays to claim, a hotel to book for the family and a viable reason to bail out at the last minute. I'm thinking Flu or work emergency, both of which I can somewhat simulate.

When the game arrives I shall make sure all of my chores are discharged, clean, walk and feed Canthus, exercise etcetera and then alight to my study. At this point I shall don a frilly shirt, partake of heroic amounts of laudanum and sherry (or maybe a fine Courvoisier,) set the soundtrack to play, dive into the manual and maybe enjoy a brief nap full of light and imaginings. After a hearty repaste to fortify my flagging ardour I shall set about creating a hero child fit to scale the heights of the inconceivable, and let time and tide pull me as they will.

In the evening I shall read some Poe by the fire and cogitate.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Already setting things in motion, talked with the father in law and he's amenable to a visit before Christmas, so i'm going to pack off the wife and kids when Poe releases. I've got a week of holidays to claim, a hotel to book for the family and a viable reason to bail out at the last minute. I'm thinking Flu or work emergency, both of which I can somewhat simulate.

When the game arrives I shall make sure all of my chores are discharged, clean, walk and feed Canthus, exercise etcetera and then alight to my study. At this point I shall don a frilly shirt, partake of heroic amounts of laudanum and sherry (or maybe a fine Courvoisier,) set the soundtrack to play, dive into the manual and maybe enjoy a brief nap full of light and imaginings. After a hearty repaste to fortify my flagging ardour I shall set about creating a hero child fit to scale the heights of the inconceivable, and let time and tide pull me as they will.

In the evening I shall read some Poe by the fire and cogitate.

Alright, that's got to be the best post I've read in a loooong time. Thanks for taking the time to write that up, Nonek. Not only is it full of worthwhile tips, but it's also very witty and even cosy, somehow. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

1. Be completely unproductive at work on the day of release;

2. Get cranky during installation;

3. Spend the whole night staring at character creation screen;

4. Take 120 hours to play a 60h game (figures guesstimated) while being barely aware of my surroundings and even less social.

• Like 1

Nothing gold can stay.

I'll start making preparations the evening before by finishing any outstanding chores, going to grocery and wine shop and making dinner for the following day for my better half.

While the game is loading, I'll listen to soundtrack and read the manual. (Also, try not to forget to send Bryy a Happy Birthday note on Beta release.)

I'll then start the wonderful task of picking a class, race and gender (perhaps an Orlan rogue - probably female, possibly a Wild Orlan).  :w00t:

Redo previous step many times until I think I have it right.

Begin my first adventure into the world of Eora.

Skillfully dodge questions from the hubby about when I'm going to turn off computer for the evening.

Set alarm clock to get up early next morning (probably won't need this step as it will feel like I'm 8 years old again and it's Christmas morning so I'll wake up at 5:00 a.m. all on my own).  :)

Edit:  As Indira pointed out, I'll go through the same steps for the Beta and the actual game.  Can't wait for both to be released.  :)

Edited by SqueakyCat
  • Like 3

While the game is loading, I'll listen to soundtrack and read the manual. (Also, try not to forget to send Bryy a Happy Birthday note.)

Nice thinking! I just realized that all our preparation plans have to be done twice: once in August, and then around X-mas again. :)

• Like 1

No specific ritual for me, although I'll probably end up in a similar vein to the Andromeda galaxy up there in that I'll listen to my wife go "Blah blah blah" while reading the manual, then creating about six thousand characters before finally starting a run (and then restarting about three hundred times).

You guys and your rerolls.. Stick with a decision I say, I'm gonna be fighter on my... Hmm maybe wizard is better, all right..no gotta try Cipher...

Bard? :\ Ok I'll decide tomorrow.

Fortune favors the bald.

First thing Im going to do is read the strategy guide from cover to cover. Then Ill create my "main" (either Paladin or Mage) and jump into the game. Within one hour Ill either love it or never play it again.

No I find that hard to believe, you would really only give a game like PoE one hour?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm going to make brownies and tacos, and buy whiskey. I will then sit in my underwear and obsessively play PoE taking breaks only to use the bathroom and have a quickie.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Open game box, take a whiff of new game smell, check the contents and open the manual

Ha ha ha I've done that. Awesome.

Big PC game shoe boxes with that strange packaging cardboard adhesive smell. Made you feel like you'd bought a box of treasure. It was the scent of... victory.

Nonek wins though because of esoteric Victorian narcotics and Poe.

sonsofgygax.JPG

D:OS got less than that. :lol:

Its hard to describe but a game either immediately grabs me in or Im lost to it forever. Theres no rhyme or reason to it either, it just is or isn't. :shrugz:

I'm exactly the same way, save that I'm this way with anime rather than video games.