What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

He sings. He can sing. He sang quite well in the musical Psych episode if I remember....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I still call Tuvok the worst Security Officer. How many episodes do they string together where the ship isn't hijacked or vast numbers of the crew kidnapped in one form or another?

• Like 2

I remember hoping Voyager would be a return to spacefaring Trek after DS9 (which I could never get into for multiple reasons)...I watched maybe half a season. I didn't really dislike it, but it didn't make me want to keep watching, either. Although iirc I did like the virtual doctor guy. He was funny. Janeway was just meh. Actually she reminded me a bit of Kate Hepburn in her older years, if Hepburn in her older years had looked a bit younger. Yeah...I totally made sense there...

Then again, maybe it was just Janeway's hair.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be fair, Voyager picked up in the last few years in general storytelling and character growth.

But they also had a habit of making eunuchs of any previously scary alien encounter. "Oh look, it's something that was a big bad and immensely scary last season. Now we can kick its ass and it turns out its really quite wussified.."  - Notably both the Borg, and Q.

Janeway did tend to follow the more Kirk type of behaviour in some ways - Let's follow the Prime Directive in a hand-wavey kind of manner, well, unless it really gets in the way of keeping my crew alive and getting us home, in which case lets just chuck it out the window.

Galavant is a silly show
This you already know
About a guy named Galavant.

A foppish doltish King
Who yes can dance and sing
Does steal the girl from Galavant.

Catchy songs and tunes
Jokes to fill the rooms
Get back up again oh Galavant.

Witty!
Plus a good night's worth of TeeVee value
This show just ma-ayy grow on you-oo.

Yet, it's really hard to say
If I'll watch it every day
This new show they call Galavant.

As entertaining as it was
It's all a little much, and could get a little weary-ing.

But King's scenes were pretty great
Lead actor has a pretty face
And they sure all can cadence sing "Gal--a--vanttttt."

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, I know. I liked it, laughed quite a bit. Glad they chose a half hour format tho...it would be a bit too much for me if it was an hour. Also, I was watching it on VoD and during the adbreaks they kept playing ads for upcoming ABC shows using the same song-style, over and over every break, which became rather eye-rolling when seeing them all at once like that.

That sing-song cadence style they're using...I often wonder if it has a name, because note for note it's very similar to ... well, a ton of other stuff.

It actually puts me in mind of a lot of British panto.

Everyone knowing its all incredibly silly and jokey, but playing it seriously, with moments of over-ham to the audience, interspersed with passable amusing songs.

Yeah, I know. I liked it, laughed quite a bit. Glad they chose a half hour format tho...it would be a bit too much for me if it was an hour. Also, I was watching it on VoD and during the adbreaks they kept playing ads for upcoming ABC shows using the same song-style, over and over every break, which became rather eye-rolling when seeing them all at once like that.

That sing-song cadence style they're using...I often wonder if it has a name, because note for note it's very similar to ... well, a ton of other stuff.

The ads were mildly amusing...then the ad for Revenge hit, and it was glorious. Doing ads for comedies and The Bachelor musical style fits, but for a thriller? It was so ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's already an immediate improvement over Shield. Plus, I'm a sucker for period pieces.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It's already an immediate improvement over Shield.

that's saying a lot considering SHIELD is one of the best shows on network TV right now.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Apparently I've created a Netflix monster (hubby). He just started watching the Alias series, now. I didn't know Bradly Cooper was in it. It seems a bit over the top action-wise (JJ Abrams?) but watchable. Think it's worth continuing with?

Alias has its ups and downs. It starts out with some nice (if silly ideas), introduces some neat characters, twists things around a few times, then proceeds to get a touch more sillier as it goes along. It does start wandering into that "almost steampunk renaissance superscience genius" plotline in the last few seasons as I recall, which was both interesting and exceptionally silly for a modern day spy genre.

It all depends on how much you can take of lies, deception, twist, turns, betrayals, will they/won't they romance, family issues, and evvvvviiiillll conspiracies.

I remember hoping Voyager would be a return to spacefaring Trek after DS9 (which I could never get into for multiple reasons)...

DS9 is one of those shows where you have to wade through three seasons of some of the worse TV and then finally rewarded with 4 seasons of awesome. It's like sucking on a lemon and when you can't take it anymore, you're then rewarded with the finest meal you've ever had. I've only watched the first three seasons once and never again.

There was this one ds9 episode in the early first season that I liked, some alien guy with honor/death issues. My girlfriend and I were all "hits you right here" when we saw it. But my main issues with DS9 were that I couldn't get into any of their conflict-arc issues. Too...political. I did try occasionally checking an episode here and there later...always put me to sleep. Also...I am not a fan of Ferengi. At all.

The security guy was cool tho. I always like Rene.

Awesome news, there is a new season of Banshee that has just been released  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Was having a roam around on Amazon Prime and found a series from a few years ago.

The Collector.

Interesting idea - A monk from the 1400's lost faith, made a deal with the devil, and ended up as a "Collector" of souls when other people had made deals and their time was up. After so long, he basically challenges the devil to get the chance to help these people repent in their final days. If he does, they get to go free, if not, he still has to collect on their souls and condemn them to hell.

Not exactly high production values, but it managed to run for three years and from a few episodes seems full of "thoseguys" - faces you'll recognise for being in all sorts of supporting roles, but never seem to be recognised by name.