What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

Here's the latest rundown:

Sons of Anarchy Season 7 - Series Finale.  Season 7's bloodbath make season 6 look like a trip to Disneyland.  It's hard to explain how a show can be so good when none of the characters are really likeable.   It just is.  9/10 

Broadchurch Season 1 - Mystery centered around the death of a 10yr old boy in the resort town of Broadchurch.  David Tennant stars.  8/10

The Strain Season 1 - These aren't your pretty Twilight vampires.  Interesting twist but vampires have been overdone.  6.5/10

Grimm Season 3 -  Simply awesome.  Poor Nick - just can't catch a break.  9/10

and just started this:

The Killing Season 3 - A murder mystery centered around a serial killer who is targeting young under age prostitutes.  Add in a killer awaiting execution who was convicted for a killing where the MO matches the latest victims.  An The acting is great and Mirielle Enos is superb.  so far it's a 9/10 

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

SHIELD was great. Skye and her dad's identities confirmed, show has superpowers now, lots of win.

More importantly I guessed who Skye and her dad was in October, so it was nice to be right (I usually am not on this kind of thing).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

SHIELD was great. Skye and her dad's identities confirmed, show has superpowers now, lots of win.

More importantly I guessed who Skye and her dad was in October, so it was nice to be right (I usually am not on this kind of thing).

I didn't even know who they were, so I was glad for the internet rumour mill.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm with Oerwinde, my comic book knowledge is pretty limited even though I occassionally read some so I'm glad I've got other people's interesting theories to keep my brain roiling. But I'm very surprised that SHIELD, which was a guilty pleasure for a while, has now become my most anticipated show.

Yeah, its definately been an enjoyable show.  I think not having to wait for Captain America: The Winter Soldier to hit has helped this season a lot.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched the final episode of Sons of Anarchy...wow it was evocative and poignant but a fitting end to this great series

Its definitely one of my best series of all time

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Saw a few episodes of a short UK series called Black Mirror. It's sci-fi with a little bit Twilight Zone feeling maybe, only very modernized and more dark-thoughtful, if that makes sense. Has some nice cinematography/look to it.

But it is one very strange show. The type where there's nothing wrong with it that makes you turn it off, yet you can't decide if you actually like it or not.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, she tried to murder someone because they cut her fof? EVIL. Plus, insane thinking she has special powers. To the looney bin with her. :)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've only caught bits and pieces of it as hubby chugs through the seasons via Netflix, but I'm not seeing a big appeal re: Chuck. Guess the level of humor + spy shenanigans don't fit my style and the actors don't appeal to me much. It's like an hour long spy sitcom comedy and an hour is 30 minutes too long. The best thing about it seems to be Adam Baldwin. Adam B. is always the bomb.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hemlock Grove Season 1 -  The show is a classic horror mashup that's been done far better elsewhere.  It's based on a mix of Ukrainian, Scandinavian and Greek myths and folklore with everything from angels, witches, werewolves, vargulfs to vampire like creatures called Upirs.  Toss in reincarnation, Frankenstein's monster and a secret society dedicated to destroying all the evil baddies and that sums up the show.   It's all just a clichéd mess.  The plot pacing is uneven and the acting is mediocre at best.   The series does pick up some steam near the end, but overall it is disappointing.   I have no idea how this got a 4/5 from Netflix viewers.   3.5/10

36 of D has her moments to shine.

It's also where the Doctor really starts pulling out the best moments from here on out.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Doctor Who Christmas Special.

It had its ups and downs. But at least the silliness had a good reason this time, the whole dream within a dream made weirdness a valid thing. This last season has been a bit odd. The character development between Clara and the Doctor seem to have been the main line, with all the episode stories being more afterthoughts just to give them some stage to strut around on while talking. Then the whole "is she/isn't she" of whether they were keeping Clara as a companion, and not deciding it till the last minute. Makes me wonder if that last 5 minutes of the show was added on rather than the original plan....

I will say Nick Frost worked magic as Santa Claus. A combination of merriment and edge.

vpg5jzxdqm4jwtmiocr2.gif

joatulrt6bchgwwolvxp.gif

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I suspect the 'is she going or not' stuff was basically just trolling and the decision had been made a fair while ago- as with Missy claiming to be the Rani in some alternative takes.

My only real problem with the special was that it was derivative not just of the obvious external stuff (Alien, Inception) but of a fairly recent Dr Who episode. The whole concept is a bit too convenient given the problems Moffat's run has had with internal consistency, just blame anything that doesn't make sense on it being a dream. Cute, perhaps too cute. Still, enjoyable.

One after the other, one ultra-hot mega stunner after another. Revenge on ABC, in the background at the moment. Emily Vancamp leads the cast and my affection. I have no idea what the drama is about, since my Pandora station is playing over the show, but ever since I saw Emily in Winter Soldier ... this one-hour TV show is a feast.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Not a report of watching, but ... if these two were in a show together, I would fan squeal. Yes I would.

B562M1MCUAAfEWi.jpg

Finally got around to watching the last pre-holiday episode of Supernatural...the one bout Castiel and Novak's kid. It was ok. I like Cas better when he's not being all guilt-ridden and angsty. Avenging angel mode is also a bit hotter. :biggrin:

Was the Dean-ending supposed to be cliffhangerish, because it didn't leave me in any suspense. I think we all saw that coming. But I can't wait for Cain to show up again. You know he's going to.

Finally got around to watching the last pre-holiday episode of Supernatural...the one bout Castiel and Novak's kid. It was ok. I like Cas better when he's not being all guilt-ridden and angsty. Avenging angel mode is also a bit hotter. :biggrin:

Was the Dean-ending supposed to be cliffhangerish, because it didn't leave me in any suspense. I think we all saw that coming. But I can't wait for Cain to show up again. You know he's going to.

Without the mark he's moved up in the world

abc_gal_SingHisName_king.png

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Without the mark he's moved up in the world

That's hilarious. And good for him.

*looks up series*

...wait a minute. A "fairy tale-themed musical comedy?" Is he going to sing? This could either be fantastic or a complete mess. :lol: Funny guest star cast. I may have to check it out, if only to snicker.