What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

Marco Polo's first season.. It's a show packed with Asian tropes (and not in a good way) and feels more like a horny martial arts B movie at times than a tv series.

Still somewhat entertaining - if you're hospitalized at least.

Fortune favors the bald.

Marco Polo's first season.. It's a show packed with Asian tropes (and not in a good way) and feels more like a horny martial arts B movie at times than a tv series.

Yeah I was all excited about it, thinking it might be a good source of clips on the Silk Road and the Yuan Dynasty court.  But it went off the rails rather quickly.

Man in the High Castle. Never read the book, but the Alternate History Weekly Update was hyping it up for a while. I hope it goes to series, its right up my alley.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I actually really enjoyed Marco Polo. I like the snippets of history. I like the casting of Asians in asian roles. The kung fu is pretty rad. As is Mongol horse culture.

Much propage for bringing the subject matter to a whole new audience and maybe getting people interested enough to study up on it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah I was all excited about it, thinking it might be a good source of clips on the Silk Road and the Yuan Dynasty court.  But it went off the rails rather quickly.

The real story about the successive Khan assaults on the walled city is pretty interesting. There was a documentary on it on youtube but I think they took it down. But yeah, lots of naked concubines and princesses and whatnot and not much depth to any of the characters. It's Hallmark produced by HBO. (not literally)

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Hm, have to say I'm not sure what to make of the finale to Galavant.

Didn't seem to have the magic or punch of some of the earlier episodes.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I started watching Helix, having not watched any of season 1. It looks good.

The new 12 Monkeys isn't bad, I'll give it the season to make a full judgement.

Amazon has a pilot thing going on, I suggest checking out The Man in the High Castle based on PKD. Pretty good. If they pick it up, I might just get Prime.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Helix S1 was... interesting. At times it felt like they'd shot 1 hour episodes that had been crudely cut down to 42 minutes so it was kind of nonsensical but it was entertaining enough (and had at least one completely random but wildly entertaining wtf moment) and I watched the whole thing. The elevator muzak theme and setting giving me a System Shock vibe was one of the main factors though.

S2 isn't (so far) related much at all to the setting of S1, apart from obviously being in the same continuity and using most of the same characters it is in a completely different place with a different disease.

Edited by Zoraptor

Hm, have to say I'm not sure what to make of the finale to Galavant.

Didn't seem to have the magic or punch of some of the earlier episodes.

I read an article on how the term "limited series" is confusing to a lot of audiences. So going into shows like Galavant and Gracepoint people though they were one shot mini series. Especially when described as "limited series event". So people get all confused when a limited series ends on a cliffhanger. But limited series means less than a full season of episodes. Which is fristrating because Galacant only would have worked as a single season, and trying to get two out of it just left people frustrated.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think I'm going to fall into the camp that Galavant's ending is weaksauce. I don't mind when there's some setup for a next season, but I do mind that there's no resolution at all for what came before, really.  But up until that point, I liked the last 60 minutes pretty well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am really surprised no one seems to singing the praises of Banshee?

Its on season 3 and episode 3 and its absolutely gripping but I warn you its for adults only, this last episode was probably one of the most violent shows I have ever seen in my life 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I finally finished watching first season of True Detective.

I have rather mixed feelings of the ending. In other hand it fit with the overall feel of the series(I never expected a happy/hero ending). But the killer was the least interesting part of the mystery. He was almost a pure stereotype. I would have liked to see more about the cult and the senator.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I have rather mixed feelings of the ending. In other hand it fit with the overall feel of the series(I never expected a happy/hero ending). But the killer was the least interesting part of the mystery. He was almost a pure stereotype. I would have liked to see more about the cult and the senator.

Same as me, thats going to be one hell  of a dark journey down the depths of human depravity

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Galavant's finale wasn't great. It was building up to something and there was no payoff. I respect the direction they took but I also feel that I was hyped for something big and all that hype just dissipated into smaller plotlines. Now I'm curious for the next season, but not hyped.

I watched the final  episode of season 4 of American Horror Story last night, it was entertaining this season but not as good as previous ones 

I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it as much as previous seasons...maybe its the fact that most of actors are the same?

John Milton 

AR315C-ATOM-0001-W2-v-b41e1.jpg

Brandon Routh as the Atom on Arrow. Doesn't look too shabby for a TV show costume.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They spend all this time unraveling a Twin Peaks mystery that turns out to be so banal, and finding Jesus,,, I mean Jesus. Nihilists don't do that. Not ever in the real world. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

{pic removed]

Brandon Routh as the Atom on Arrow. Doesn't look too shabby for a TV show costume.

For a moment I was worried that was the new Ironman.

In Arrow he's pretty much Iron Man. Rich guy, builds a battle suit to fight crime. Personality wise he's kind of a less dickish Tony Stark too.

Devastatorsig.jpg