RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

http://www.destructoid.com/review-valiant-hearts-the-great-war-277017.phtml

Is it just me or does this game not look amazing? Watch the video as well on the link above

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Looks boring. WW1 is one of the dumbest and pointless wars human species has ever been tricked into by the Capital who appealed to people's sense of the Nation, brainwashing them into throwing their lives at bullets and gas for no reason. Other wars had a point or a semblance of a point, this one was just a pointless waste of everything. I don't want to have anything to do with it, it's cruel, sadistic, I don't want to be reminded of it, I don't want to hear the pretense of "heroic" stories from WW1 because there is no heroism in dying for nothing, but being told by the Capital to die.

I wouldn't buy it on sales for half a dollar. NO.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 2
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Looks boring. WW1 is one of the dumbest and pointless wars human species has ever been tricked into by the Capital who appealed to people's sense of the Nation, brainwashing them into throwing their lives at bullets and gas for no reason. Other wars had a point or a semblance of a point, this one was just a pointless waste of everything. I don't want to have anything to do with it, it's cruel, sadistic, I don't want to be reminded of it, I don't want to hear the pretense of "heroic" stories from WW1 because there is no heroism in dying for nothing, but being told by the Capital to die.

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When I heard that I thought that they were blowing it out of proportion. I'm pretty sure they can get investors on board, and they will get more support if they change their subscription plan. But if Nintendo has managed to make terrible decisions and stay afloat so can Crytek too; although that's mostly due to competition being dead.

While Nintendo has certainly made some bad decisions, they've also hit some massive home runs. Past runaway successes, like the DS, have given Nintendo quite a healthy cash reserve to fall back upon during hard times. I don't know if Crytek has ever had that type of crazy money making success, or if they'd been smart enough to sock some money away for a rainy day.

Quite frankly CryTek seems to be one of those companies that you don't hear a lot from, they just seem to disappear for a while.

Still, I doubt that one blunder(Ryse) is enough to make them go under. Plus they still have a few major contracts (Ubisoft for example) they don't make enough games that would justify a massive expenditure. Its quite possible that they are able to break even.

Did Ryse suck? It was literally the only next gen launch title that looked remotely interesting, so I'm surprised it bombed. Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

When I heard that I thought that they were blowing it out of proportion. I'm pretty sure they can get investors on board, and they will get more support if they change their subscription plan. But if Nintendo has managed to make terrible decisions and stay afloat so can Crytek too; although that's mostly due to competition being dead.
While Nintendo has certainly made some bad decisions, they've also hit some massive home runs. Past runaway successes, like the DS, have given Nintendo quite a healthy cash reserve to fall back upon during hard times. I don't know if Crytek has ever had that type of crazy money making success, or if they'd been smart enough to sock some money away for a rainy day.
Quite frankly CryTek seems to be one of those companies that you don't hear a lot from, they just seem to disappear for a while.

Still, I doubt that one blunder(Ryse) is enough to make them go under. Plus they still have a few major contracts (Ubisoft for example) they don't make enough games that would justify a massive expenditure. Its quite possible that they are able to break even.

Did Ryse suck? It was literally the only next gen launch title that looked remotely interesting, so I'm surprised it bombed.

You need to remember that we live in the age when not selling 800 million copies is considered bombing.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Where you paying attention during your history class?

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Funniest bit I've heard about WWI was that it was fought to preserve democracy over here. Not entirely convinced of that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Funniest bit I've heard about WWI was that it was fought to preserve democracy over here. Not entirely convinced of that.

For my country it was fought to rid us of the oppressor. That we did and more.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

There are a load of different theories out there, from the sublime to the ridiculous. It's easy to view 1914 through a 1968 Woodstock-and-tye-dye teeshirt sort of perspective.

I like Bester, I'm just sorry he bought the Noam Chomsky version.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Where you paying attention during your history class?

History class, how classic. Oh the tings I've learned in history class, if only half of them were true, lol. Limiting yourself to history class is like limiting yourself to the daily mail and trying to convince everyone it's the right thing to do.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Chomsky is a pretty cool dude, dunno what's wrong with his view on things, it fascinates me.

but, aren't all wars pointless and sadistic? I mean, best case scenario: your country was invaded and you have to stop the invasion, in which case it becomes a holy war, a just cause. doesn't make it any less cruel

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

but, aren't all wars pointless and sadistic? I mean, best case scenario: your country was invaded and you have to stop the invasion, in which case it becomes a holy war, a just cause. doesn't make it any less cruel

That is exactly how WW1 started.

Chomsky is a pretty cool dude, dunno what's wrong with his view on things, it fascinates me.

Chomsky in a nutshell:

001a.png

EDIT: Although the issues I take with Chomsky and the issues Monte takes with Chomsky are no doubt astronomical.

Edited by Barothmuk

Did Ryse suck? It was literally the only next gen launch title that looked remotely interesting, so I'm surprised it bombed.

You need to remember that we live in the age when not selling 800 million copies is considered bombing.

All I know about Ryse is that it has a next-gen amount of DLC, and with all of that crunch time they couldn't remember anything about real boob physics.

rP0hu8t.gif

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

That is exactly how WW1 started.

well, it kind of got out of hand when allies of both sides had to honor their pacts and get into what was supposed to be a fight between two countries.

I kind of like it more as it's done now. war starts, the whole world condemns it but dares not interfere, because - grave consequences.instead of trying to zerg rush the opponent.

I just wish wars would be settled in hand to hand combat. imagine whole platoons going at it.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I just wish wars would be settled in hand to hand combat. imagine whole platoons going at it.

Then we would just take over the world, that is not exactly fair.

World War 1 was a global set of dominos. Austria-Hungary wanted serbia, serbia gave them an excuse to invade, russia declared war on austria, Germany declared war on Russia because of their defense pact with Austria, Britain declared war on Germany because of defense pact with russia. France declared war on Germany because they were beat in the Franco-Prussian war and wanted revenge. Germany was blamed for Austria/Serbia's mess which led to WW2. Pointless war.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Britain declared war because ze Germans invaded Belgium, at least ostensibly*.  They weren't allied with Russia- or even France- formally, and it was primarily a balance of power issue for Britain. France was allied with Russia though.

*Uh, ostensible reason for war at least, I'm fairly sure the German invasion of Belgium was completely genuine.

Edited by Zoraptor

Ryse was a very pretty and exceedingly shallow glorified tech demo.

Of course it was, that's basically what Microsoft wanted.

Although, if they did manage to make Crytek pick up part of the development costs A plus for Bill Gates. But I don't really think that there would be anyone dumb enough to think Ryse would sell, I certainly hope not Crytek. Cause if they did they totally deserve to go bankrupt.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's a shame that Ryse is so bad. I certainly would have been interested in it, if it wouldn't have all that crappy stuff and would be available on PC too.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

World War 1 was a global set of dominos. Austria-Hungary wanted serbia, serbia gave them an excuse to invade, russia declared war on austria, Germany declared war on Russia because of their defense pact with Austria, Britain declared war on Germany because of defense pact with russia. France declared war on Germany because they were beat in the Franco-Prussian war and wanted revenge. Germany was blamed for Austria/Serbia's mess which led to WW2. Pointless war.

You missed the beginning, Austria-Hungary invaded(annexed) Bosnia. What do you think Franz Ferdinand was doing in Sarajevo, where Princip offed him.

Edited by Sarex