Movies you've seen recently

Tale

in all honesty Jessica Chastain should've been the one grabbing that Oscar. Jennifer Lawrence was good in Winter's Bone, but I'd have to look up other nominees of that year's Oscars 

EDIT:
Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”

Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan” (winner)
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

welp, I didn't like Black Swan, it was inferior to the original anime in every possible way. but I can't remember how good Natalie Portman was in it. other nominees... Jennifer Lawrence is the one I would've liked to see go home with an Oscar that night 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

mud

saw with girlfriend. her response: "so, 'bros before hoes'?"

sums it up pretty well. the happy ending seemed forced, but we liked it (marginally) even so.

HA! Good Fun!

Heh, I watched most of that recently, but I didn't get through it all.  I enjoyed the Mississippi setting, since I visited there this summer, but it was a bit of an odd film.  The kid actor was also pretty good.

Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress who unfortunately is stuck being the face of The Hunger Games.  The movies (much like the books) are sloppily done and are cashing in on the young teen audience.  Thankfully it hasn't derailed her career and she is picking up other parts with better direction.

we will eventual see guardians, but our first impression were that we already saw this movie when it were a tv series called firefly. perhaps guardians is an actual good firefly movie. 

HA! Good Fun!

Are you implying Serenity is not a good Firefly movie? Because I will cut you. :p

• Like 3

we will eventual see guardians, but our first impression were that we already saw this movie when it were a tv series called firefly. perhaps guardians is an actual good firefly movie. 

HA! Good Fun!

Are you implying Serenity is not a good Firefly movie? Because I will cut you. :p

we hope we did more than imply. serenity suckage is to those ridiculous expensive dyson vacuums as the dysons suckage is to a 1-year-old child trying to use a straw. firefly suckage were on a relativistic scale. river were always a terrible character, but she got far too much screen time in the movie. as if we needed an autistic buffy from wheedon. also, the firefly stories were far better in tv 'cause they were limited to petty larceny and limited bits o' daring-do. have the crew saving humanity from itself were something you mighta worked up to eventually after five seasons or somesuch, but it were wrong for a movie after only a dozen or so episodes. we got lots more complaints, but is kinda pointless. 

we will note that extreme firefly suckage were not so much 'cause o' the lack o' production values or poor material as those things were little worse than the average b-grade sci-fi movie romp. nope, suckage were due to fact that tv firefly (with a few episode and character exceptions) were fantastic entertainment. firefly were good tv. serentiy were an average-at-best movie. suck.

guardians looks like a much better vehicle for a save the 'verse kinda thing, but is built along similar lines as firefly with a crew o' irreverent misfits all taking turns at being funny. did chris pratt get his arse handed to him once or twice? that would further fit the formula. we will say that lieutenant uhura is a much better buffy than buffy or river. a pretty girl super soldier is all well and good, but make 'em near invincible little girls who clearly need a hug were causing the bile in rise in our throat. 

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To be fair, I was never influenced by expectations because Serenity was my first introduction to that universe - Firefly has never aired here so I did not come into contact with it until I saw Serenity reviews everywhere that told me to check it out. Because of that I was never under the impression that their derring-do "universe saving" (if you can call it that) was anything out of the ordinary. Broadcasting a terrorist signal against the Alliance seemed perfectly in Mal's character for me.

To me, Serenity was a breath of fresh air and a fun adventure that saved the day in a year where the only other space adventure was the abysmal Revenge of the Sith. Even when I saw Firefly afterwards, I didn't feel as if it was wrong for the universe - although in retrospect it had a disconnect in that it had very little western elements.

• Like 1

TrueNeutral, Grom always gets touchy when confronted by popular creators. He got angsty over Dead Money.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

TrueNeutral, Grom always gets touchy when confronted by popular creators. He got angsty over Dead Money.

oh really? please describe the angsty observations we made regarding dead money. 

we liked old world blues

honest hearts were meh

dead money? ambivalence would be the word we would use. we weren't impressed with the gameplay "improvements" that were designed to inflate gameplay hours as 'posed to being challenging or fun. we also were not impressed with dog/god and christine-- chrisA/obsidian frequent puts emphasis on character hook over substance.

oh well. am s'posing wals musta' really liked dead money, so he feels as if we pee'd in his cheerios by criticizing aspects o'  the dlc.

as for tn serenity comments, we surely ain't gonna use revenge o' the sith as a benchmark for sci-fi movies. in any event, mal is or portrayed as an honorable man pretending to be a rogue in the tv show, but his main priority is to keep flying, to keep his people safe. so, instead o' following mal tv patterns, we got him choosing the mostest dangerous possible solution, and yeah, having the crew fight through armies o' zombies and Evil government forces so that he could eventual have a mano-y-mano fight and then press the magic button that fixes everything made us a bit sick. 

and again, river is so suck.

"Two" HA! Good fun!" in a row mean Gromnir is really serious."

we tried to edit that out... three tries. something went wonky with the board editing and we couldn't adjust weird font size and extra ending. am a traditionalist and so we gave up after mystical three. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hrm, I'd say Mal from the show would have done the same thing. He made it abundantly clear that River and Simon were now part of his crew and if you recall Mal didn't decide to take on the bad guys in any other capacity than "run as long as we can stay ahead" until the alliance decided to take it out on Shepherd Book, who Mal also considers part of his crew. By this point there wasn't really anything left to do - all he had to go on was River's implanted memories. And it's not like Mal didn't already take an obsessive amount of pleasure in messing with the alliance, going so far as to raid alliance hospitals and actively seeking out alliance friendly people to pick fights with. Didn't seem like a stretch to me.

Not a big fan of River either though, but for different reasons. I didn't mind her being able to kick ass, I just hated that she was the only character on the ship who was a plot device instead of a person.

• Like 1

I saw Man on Fire again the other night. Damn that's a good movie, Denzel Washington's best*. As usual, Chris Walken steals the show with his signature two-minute soliloquy.

* Hmmm, mebbe Glory with a cheeky Training Day coming in a close third.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I saw the new Godzilla, and it was crap... these dummies don't realize why people want to see movies about giant monsters, apparently. too much emphasis on humans, too few shots of Godzilla kicking giant monster butt. I turned it off near the end when the flippin' editor cuts from Godzilla catching the other thing mid-flight with its jaws to a scene where humans talk to each other. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU DON'T CUT FROM TWO GIANT MONSTERS DUKING IT OUT TO SOME DUMBASSES MUMBLING OUT EXPOSITION!  :banghead:

• Like 3
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

calvary.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary (film)

A second film directed by McDonagh with Gleeson. First one was a nice black comedy, The Guard. This one is not a tragicomedy as many expected it to be, it's a drama, so don't expect much humor (although there is some). The best movie of the year yet.

The Irish cast is just great. Gleeson is a very charismatic actor obviously.

O'Dowd from the IT crowd, but he really surprised everyone with his acting here. Really good.

Kelly Reilly, the ginger girl who slept with Denzel Washington in the Flight. Beautiful girl. She has this face, that I can just watch and study for hours. Not a lot of chicks have this quality.

Aidan Gillen, the 'Littlefinger'. Speaks with his native Irish accent here.

Dylan Moran from the Black Books series and the Edgar Wright movies (Shaun of the Dead, etc). Plays drunkards to perfection, obviously.

Gleeson's son Domhnall Gleeson had a minor appearance here. A good actor, saw him in an episode of Black Mirror and About Time.

There is a little mystery going on during the film as you're trying to guess who is the murderer, which is entertaining in itself, but at the same time the movie is very serene, with long scenes of Irish green landscapes and the sea. And there is the drama of the main plot of course, which I don't want to reveal here.

I'm not going to write posts like that for every movie I watch, obviously. I only feel strongly about movies maybe once or twice a year. Last year it was Stoker with Mia Wasikowska, in 2012 it was Cabin in the Woods, in 2011 it was Drive with Gosling. This year it's Calvary. Well the year isn't over, but I'm not exactly expecting a cinematographic miracle here. Calvary is not a 10 out of 10 movie, it's not like "In the Name of the Father" in a sense that it's not going to haunt you for a week after you've watched it. But it's a very pleasurable experience, which is extremely rare nowadays with movies being total **** most of the time.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

So, Jarmusch... Remember Dead Man, Ghost Dog, Coffee and Cigarettes? That stuff always went over my head. But then Broken Flows - that was a pleasurable experience, because it was more for the general public, less art-house, less of a cinematography experiment and more of an actual movie. It's the same thing for his new film. You might enjoy it if you're like me in that regard.

To better explain this film, it's like there are two kinds of movies. Films that are made to be entertaining, but fail and end up being boring. And then there are films that were conceived and intended to be boring, and in that boredom you're supposed take pleasure, maybe lose yourself in thoughts, enjoy the aesthetics and the music? That's his new film.

Plus, there's Loki (Hiddleston), as much of him as you ever dared to want.

And by the way, did you know that Tom could dance? I'm a big fangirl of his, as you might've guessed.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Plus, there's Loki (Hiddleston), as much of him as you ever dared to want.

And by the way, did you know that Tom could dance? I'm a big fangirl of his, as you might've guessed.

There is a reason Hiddelston is jokingly called "the real-life Disney prince".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just watched How I Live Now, on Netflix.

I really have to recommend it. I think it has an angle for anyone with a brain. Obviously I liked it because of the meticulous detail done to the war aspects. But I think it has charming elements and good cinematography. I'll be buying a few copies on DVD for friends.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

wtf is wrong with me I wonder. I didn't like it at all, it was banal **** in my eyes, I can't understand all the praise it gets. it's mediocre.

I guess it's because I've seen everything it has in other, better movies (you know, in USSR there was a gazillion of war movies done from the same angle, guess am just spoiled)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I just watched How I Live Now, on Netflix.

I really have to recommend it. I think it has an angle for anyone with a brain. Obviously I liked it because of the meticulous detail done to the war aspects. But I think it has charming elements and good cinematography. I'll be buying a few copies on DVD for friends.

I'll give it a try, but Ros' warnings of Twilight have me scared. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Guardians of the Galaxy. It had flaws (I won't subscribe to the best movie of the year claim made before) but my inner 12-year old said he wanted this movie when he was still in charge, because it's the most fun I've had with a movie in years.

My only beef now that its sunk in, is if the Xandarans have been at war with the Kree for hundreds of years, why did they have no capacity to defend their homeworld from a single Kree ship? Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg