Easter

Sarex

We do the egg battles in our family.  Egg battles are pretty fun.  Maybe it's a Eastern European thing, since I'm Polish.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

We do the egg battles in our family.  Egg battles are pretty fun.  Maybe it's a Eastern European thing, since I'm Polish.

Looks like, I never really though about it until now, hence the topic.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Unlike in the video, we do only one tap in our egg battles, and we use the round end (using the pointy end is cheating).

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Egg battles are great. You can cheat by putting your egg in your freezer. It is extra exciting when you start your yearly underground gambling egg battle tournament. I have a special egg for this year.

*looks at egg*

We'll win this year, wont we?

If we don't... I'll eat you.

• Like 3

Or when someone holds the egg towards the top while squeezing it. Or the undercover wood egg, lost such a good egg one year to a wooden one, I had my revenge though...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

We don't throw eggs here. Which is a shame, because it sounds like fun. To me Easter doesn't really mean much, since I'm not religious. Where I live, Easter is celebrated pretty much the standard way, lots of chocolate eggs and bunnies (although strangely, over here it's hares, not bunnies) and painted eggshells.

Bach's St Matthew Passion is a really big thing over here, churches all over the land are having performances of it. And there is a specific performance of it on Good Friday which is a big deal, and is attended by celebrities and politicians and broadcast on television. People really love their St Matthew Passion, to the point where talk shows are filled with people nearly crying while trying to explain why it's such a beautiful piece of music.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

For me it's not about religion, I don't subscribe to any religion, it's about being with your family and having some fun.

AKA drinking.

Plus the whole egg and Jesus thing makes more sense when drunk.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I celebrate Easter because I am religious, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. I don't really care much for all the decorations and whatnot. That's just for the kids. On the other hand, I'm known to be a boring prick.

I usually just drink a lot and don't even realize Easter had passed until someone asks me what I did for it

Sunday is usually brunch and movie day but I think we'll stay in to get away from the religious and family crowds (as opposed to the usual daydrinking crowd) 

I think the missus wants to paint eggs or something this year. It's unlikely that we'll paint more than a few so maybe I'll make deviled eggs with rest because that seems somehow appropriate 

Anyway, I hope you all have a great day and enjoy whatever it is you find yourselves doing

Free games updated 3/4/21

The religious aspect of Easter is, at best, iffy, considering, like so many religious holidays, it was adapted from a pagan fastival.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The religious aspect of Easter is, at best, iffy, considering, like so many religious holidays, it was adapted from a pagan fastival.

Yea.. because the word 'pagan' means the festival wasn't religious....

Edited by Valsuelm

I usually just drink a lot and don't even realize Easter had passed until someone asks me what I did for it

Isn't that true of every Sunday for you?

It is for me.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Point taken, but what I meant is that christians adapted a festival dedicated to Cybele into a holiday dedicated to the resurrection of Jesus.  It's always been religious, but it originally served a completely different purpose than it does now.  Christians repurposed a festival to a completely different goddess into a holiday for their lord and saviour because the time frame sort of coincided and there was conflict between the pagan worshippers and the christians in christianity's early years, so while the christians initially tried to abolish the festival they adapted it to their own purpose as a compromise.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Point taken, but what I meant is that christians adapted a festival dedicated to Cybele into a holiday dedicated to the resurrection of Jesus.  It's always been religious, but it originally served a completely different purpose than it does now.  Christians repurposed a festival to a completely different goddess into a holiday for their lord and saviour because the time frame sort of coincided and there was conflict between the pagan worshippers and the christians in christianity's early years, so while the christians initially tried to abolish the festival they adapted it to their own purpose as a compromise.

To the victor goes the spoils, I guess.

Well in terms of the date sure, but the religious aspect of Easter is a bit more than that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For me it's not about religion, I don't subscribe to any religion, it's about being with your family and having some fun.

This, I am also not religious but I use the time to see family and relax. Its basically a nice long weekend :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have never heard of an egg battle and am disappointed to find that it's not a game of people pelting eggs at each other.

Haven't done anything special for easter myself probably since the days of primary school, probably the egg painting and maybe hunting (can't really remember doing it, but I assume it did happen). In the middle years it was more a case of easter meaning extra work, a busy time for the family business. Nowadays I don't live near any family so I don't really do anything but catch up on housework over the long weekend - vacuuming the carpets, weed the garden, clean the bathrooms, etc. Exciting stuff, I know.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Nanny (HM Gov) probably wouldn't let us play such rough games. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Unlike in the video, we do only one tap in our egg battles, and we use the round end (using the pointy end is cheating).

We do egg battles too, just like Keyrock describes them! :)

Btw, Happy Easter peeps! :w00t:  :yes:  :w00t:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***