Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

holy crap, some of Community's episodes are just awesome!  :wowey: I doubt Scrubs had the same freedom when picking a theme for an episode simply due to the constraints of its setting. in Community each episode has its own theme, and while some are kind of lame, some are just out of this world. I especially enjoy the one million pop culture references they cram into their episodes, actually tying them with the plot. it's really like a theme park. 

and I could be just imagining it, but with every season the acting seems to be getting better, and the characters - more complex. I can't believe I didn't know about this show until recently 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The fun thing about Scrubs is that apparently most medical professionals consider it the closest of all medical tv shows to catching the actual mood and attitude of what it's like to work in a hospital.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Definitely the most entertaining show involving medical professionals I've seen. I do love its occasional self-awareness, such as when Cox starts imitating House due to their rather similar mannerisms. 

holy crap, Community has an episode done entirely in 8-bit visuals!  :bow: the creators of the show are awesome

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Probably my favorite Superhero movie. I'm going to need some time to digest it to be certain.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm going to watch Zero Dark Thirty tonight and I'm really excited. I know there will be some artistic license used around how Bin Laden was really  tracked down but I'm sure the movie will be very entertaining :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Probably my favorite Superhero movie. I'm going to need some time to digest it to be certain.

Wow, did not see that coming. I thought the previous one was pretty much the most unneccesary film ever made, and didn't really offer anything that the previous triology didn't. What was good about this new one?

I'm going to watch Zero Dark Thirty tonight and I'm really excited. I know there will be some artistic license used around how Bin Laden was really  tracked down but I'm sure the movie will be very entertaining :)

you will be disappointed. 

one thing I keep noticing is that it's VERY close to the real thing, it's either a conspiracy to cover up something really terrible (Dirty Wars and No Easy Day both describe certain episodes that are portrayed in Zero Dark Thirty very close to their text), or the writers actually had access to classified documents (as some SOF folks claim).

it's very well filmed, and the actors are flipping amazing. especially Jessica Chastain, she's at the top of her game in this one, and it's an Oscar-worthy performance.

it's the best movie of that year, and that's why you won't like it

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

finished Community but still didn't get enough of Alison Brie (in one of the episodes she gets to be this rookie-detective-like character getting the grips of how the system works, and she's just killing it), so I watched Save The Date (which was ****) and The Five-Year Engagement (which was ok) just to have more of her on screen.

in STD (lol) she gets more screen time, but it's still a supporting role, so not much to report. in FYE she has less scenes, but, man, she's so good! actually, the best scene of the movie has her and Emily Blunt talking like Sesame Street characters, they're awesome, she - especially so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEqy1DGclA

Walsingham said:

Lets see...

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: Enjoyable; one thing the new films get over Rami's films is that wise-cracking persona of the character. Nice to see him constantly chattering. Nice carry through for where they've taken the Parkers (which carries some of what happened in the comics), with the build up. Also I thought they did a good job of creating an interesting villain with Electro.

GRAVITY: Tense film, very enjoyable.

STAR WARS: These are not the droids you're looking for.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

actually, that scene from my previous post was probably improvised... which makes it even more awesome 

Walsingham said:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Wow, did not see that coming. I thought the previous one was pretty much the most unneccesary film ever made, and didn't really offer anything that the previous triology didn't. What was good about this new one?

Characterization and acting are way better than Raimi's films. I think the Green Goblin was a little rushed here, but it worked. Electro, on the other hand, was fantastic. And how they handled the music with him, including a vocal track that sounds like a schizophrenic inner voice, really helped display the emotion of the character.

Garfield and Stone have a damned good chemistry as well.

I'm always advocating for character development in stories. I think this one has it in spades for both the good guys and the bad.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sony have confirmed they're going to make a Sinister Six spin-off movie, as in a movie where the SS are the viewpoint characters, how does that even work???

I think ASM2 hints at a couple of ways they could take it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

you will be disappointed. 

one thing I keep noticing is that it's VERY close to the real thing, it's either a conspiracy to cover up something really terrible (Dirty Wars and No Easy Day both describe certain episodes that are portrayed in Zero Dark Thirty very close to their text), or the writers actually had access to classified documents (as some SOF folks claim).

it's very well filmed, and the actors are flipping amazing. especially Jessica Chastain, she's at the top of her game in this one, and it's an Oscar-worthy performance.

it's the best movie of that year, and that's why you won't like it

Yeah the movie was excellent. Amazing how they finally tracked Bin Laden down and how Maya Lambert's instincts were right. But why would you think I wouldn't like it? I'm missing that part?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because your messages on this board led me to believe you didn't like good things :p

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

"Characterization and acting are way better than Raimi's films."

No.

Characterization yes. Garfield's Spider-Man is much closer to the source material than Tobey McGuire's sad puppy Spider-Man.The Raimi films biggest problem was they miscast all the leads.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Odd Thomas - Strange, and then strangely powerful.  Definitely worth a watch.

Really enjoyed this movie. The ending caught me off guard. It was a bit annoying that the dialogue kept hammering on how weird the main character was (show, don't tell, guys!) and I'd hoped the plot would have gone more supernatural, but I still really enjoyed it regardless. It had a quirky sense of fun that really got me on its side. Glad Stephen Sommers decided to get back to fun instead of epic, because he's good at fun and not at epic. The Mummy still entertains me, but Van Helsing takes itself far too seriously to be entertaining.

• Like 1

Death Race (2008). Fun action prison car racing film. Jason Statham is the man. Just a great action movie to veg out and watch on the lounge.

Death Race 2 (2010). Didn't realise it was a prequel and leads directly into the first movie. Explains a lot of the backstory, how events and characters happen that set up those characters in the first movie. Still enjoyed it but the first movie was better.

Also Sorophyx. there is a TV thread for TV shows. Not sure why you keep posting TV shows in the movie thread.

Death Race 3 is pretty good too.  Not like high quality good, but like a group of buddies who get together and make a fairly ridiculous movie about prison and car races.  I'll probably watch Death Race 4.

• Like 1