Sochi 2014

obyknven

I used to love the Winter Olympics (never cared about Summer Olympics) in the 80's. The luge, the ice skating/dancing, speed skating, the ski jump, and so on.

I have a difficult time watching the American network broadcasts of them these days. They're often so .... terribly done. Maybe I can find some cable channel that does it better.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I smirked

I guess I missed something...since I don't speak the language. :ninja:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a difficult time watching the American network broadcasts of them these days. They're often so .... terribly done. Maybe I can find some cable channel that does it better.

It's true.  The NBC (It's still NBC, right?) coverage is awful.  Here are the top 5 and the Americans, and now a 25 minute long overdramatized bio of one of the American athletes.  How about instead of the overdramatized bio you show me the whole event instead?

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Canadian coverage is going to be just as awful as ever.  The catty figure skater commentators are the worst.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah NBC's coverage of the last few Olympics have been dreadful, IMO. I'll probably still tune in, but often I find myself flipping over to see if the events happening yet (and if not flipping to something else rather than listen to Bob Costas ramble on).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think curling can be fun to watch.

Also enjoy ski jump, bobsled, luge, skeleton, alpine, figure skating, speed skating and freestyle skiing. But I'll watch anything if its a good competition going on.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm only interested in the sports that feature scantily clad women.

I only care about the hockey.

Yeah. We'll have our own winter olympics.

With blackjack.

And hookers.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, news here is pretty critical of it so far, talking about how facilities aren't done, terrorism looms and how people might get hurt.  Doing a good job of containing their smugness too, hah.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looking forward to it. Then again, I'm Norwegian and we've always liked the sports no one else does. Gonna watch curling (hypnotizingly fun), hockey (gogo Zuccarello!), cross-country skiing (crushing Sweden is always fun), and biathlon - with the best biathlete of all time still competing at 40, and having a real chance at gold.

• Like 3

I do think you're going to see a terrorist incident linked to the games. But I doubt it will be central on the main facilities. More likely some poor bastards will get spanged in a town nearby.

I'm basically assuming that if a big showpiece was due then we wouldn't have seen the recent attacks, which have only served to heighten readiness.

The real story here isn't terrorism, it's the corruption. Huge 'advert' for doing business in Russia.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:rolleyes: Jelaous Western beggars continue own butthurt.

%D0%A1%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%B8-2014-%D0%9E%D0%

It's really bad thing. It's all about Western supremacism, i can say nothing change in Western mentality during past century - they yet stay masking nazi pigs. Any success of non-Europeans causing terrible ass pain to them, for fix that they constantly try prove own superiority during blaming of non-Europeans.

http://indrus.in/blogs/2014/01/23/common_values_bind_russia_and_india_32497.html

I remember travelling once with European friends in Siberia and comparing the photos I had taken to those of my friends. After looking at their pictures of run down and abandoned buildings, drunks, old cars and random strange objects, I was wondering whether we visited the same place! A facetious and condescending argument I have heard both in India and Russia from such people is that they are used to seeing such beauty in their own countries, but they don’t have much of the uglier things and that’s what would interest their friends and family back home. It would have been easier to sell such non sense to us back in the days when we didn’t travel as much to their countries as they did to ours, but seriously, few people in Russia and India would fall for the notions of a “perfect” western country.  No matter how much cities in Russia and India improve, we have to be mentally ready to accept that a large number of westerners will come with a steely determination to spot the ugliness in our countries, since they need these things to cling on as their civilisations are in a rapid state of decline.

Yes, this is right.

Photos from NY.

447935_1000.jpg

11743219933_39b37deddc_b.jpg

11597132545_009dce41c1_b.jpg

11597369935_28c54081fd_b.jpg

I'm only interested in the sports that feature scantily clad women.

I only care about the hockey.

So Figure skating? (or as Robin Williams calls it "Ice ****ing")

And why is an orthodox nation saying "Allahu Ackbar" or whatever?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Fantastic!

This gives me warm fuzzy feelings of reassurance regarding the competitiveness of my country. Where we may not be able to manage complex multifaceted data centres. But we can at least install a lavatory.

EDIT: I'll admit we can only do it by paying Polish and Bulgarian people to install the toilet. but at least we have the good sense to do so.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 3

-Elwood Blues

This gives me warm fuzzy feelings of reassurance regarding the competitiveness of my country. Where we may not be able to manage complex multifaceted data centres. But we can at least install a lavatory.

EDIT: I'll admit we can only do it by paying Polish and Bulgarian people to install the toilet. but at least we have the good sense to do so.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? We're basically holding you by the by the balls, without us, you'd be still ****ting into buckets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10618744/Shambles-behind-the-scenes-at-Sochi.html

So Sochi is a clusterphuck, half-finished and with the charm and warm-welcome we always associate with Mother Russia.

Really love the kidney-bean breakfast and bees-in-honey.

Oh, and the pictures of 'I'm not Camp' Putin in all the hotel bedrooms. He's auditioning for a Village People tribute act last I remember.

By the way, the London olympics were a tremendous success. You're welcome.

Edit:

I know, Comrade, is western paranoia and disinformation!

internet-memes-the-most-interesting-pm-i

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG