What you did today

LadyCrimson

I had something witty to add but after reading Azdeus's post I can't remember what it was. Something about taxes I think.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Work mostly

Was reading about how the NYPD is going after the drug dealers who sold Phillip Seymour Hoffman heroin and can't think of another time something like this has happened. Maybe they always investigate overdoses and go after the drug dealers and we just don't hear about it but I'm thinking this is fairly unique

Free games updated 3/4/21

Work mostly

Was reading about how the NYPD is going after the drug dealers who sold Phillip Seymour Hoffman heroin and can't think of another time something like this has happened. Maybe they always investigate overdoses and go after the drug dealers and we just don't hear about it but I'm thinking this is fairly unique

It is pretty typical for the police to put more resources into catching dealers who peddle bad batches of drugs.  It's murder.

• Like 1

It's also pretty typical for them to put resources into cases with a high media profile.

From what I understand of dealers who peddle to reliable high earners, they don't usually hand over bad drugs. So for that reason I'd suspect it's not for that reason.

But I also think it's a bit naive to think the cops will ever NOT put extra resources into a case in the spotlight. I can't think of any institution that wouldn't.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It is pretty typical for the police to put more resources into catching dealers who peddle bad batches of drugs.  It's murder.

Yeah, when it's your typical junkie they'll really press hard. I can see them doing it if a lot start dying, though. Then again might just be they got a good lead from all the heroin in his apartment, so they might not care about him in this, really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I come from a land down under! *mumbledontknowwords* and men chunder! Can't you hear can't you hear the thunder! better run, better - " ... wait a minute. What the devil is "chunder"?

Music is funny....you can happily sing along to a song on the radio for 30 years and have no idea what you're singing. I know what Vegemite is already, but...thankfully, we now have the internet! Which means I can discover that "chunder" means anything from puke/vomit to a Drovian curse word from some Star Wars novel.

I am enlightened! *turns song back on*

"better run, better take cover! ...."

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still not sure why that guy got wrapped up like a douche.  Must have been the light.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I come from a land down under! *mumbledontknowwords* and men chunder! Can't you hear can't you hear the thunder! better run, better - " ... wait a minute. What the devil is "chunder"?

Music is funny....you can happily sing along to a song on the radio for 30 years and have no idea what you're singing. I know what Vegemite is already, but...thankfully, we now have the internet! Which means I can discover that "chunder" means anything from puke/vomit to a Drovian curse word from some Star Wars novel.

I always heard the missing part as "where women grown and men plunder", but I don't really trust my own ears. :)

---

Roughly ten years ago, possibly more, I got hold of the Shadowrun PnP book and wanted the other players and GM's to have a look at it and read it through, since I thought it was wicked cool and held lots of promise.

The replies I got was "Lol, sucks, magic, cybertech and elves - really? We'll stick to vampire."

Fast forward to modern times;

"Hey, have you heard of Shadowrun Returns? Awesome game, I really liked the world and concept of it. I actually bought the new rulebook and I'm reading it through now!"

:banghead:

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I always heard the missing part as "where women grown and men plunder", but I don't really trust my own ears. :)

---

Roughly ten years ago, possibly more, I got hold of the Shadowrun PnP book and wanted the other players and GM's to have a look at it and read it through, since I thought it was wicked cool and held lots of promise.

The replies I got was "Lol, sucks, magic, cybertech and elves - really? We'll stick to vampire."

Fast forward to modern times;

"Hey, have you heard of Shadowrun Returns? Awesome game, I really liked the world and concept of it. I actually bought the new rulebook and I'm reading it through now!"

:banghead:

How ironic, imagine if you could take those naysayers forward in time to show them the success of the Shadowrun franchise in modern gaming

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How ironic, imagine if you could take those naysayers forward in time to show them the success of the Shadowrun franchise in modern gaming

Yeah, it's really aggravating for me since they absolutely love it now!

[hipster]

They could've just read the damn book I had bought, it was just as cool back then, before all the mainstreamers came along. :<

[/hipster]

I could've been playing Shadowrun for years instead of actually reading through it now, ten years later. I must admit that I find the rulebook somewhat ardous to read through. Really nice descriptive texts about the world, but the rulebooks I'm used to have everything laid out in a more clear manner.

They like Vampire, how smart can they be? ;)

Vampire was the girls fault though, all dark and emo 'n stuff... We were teens then. :p

It was fun for a bit, but quickly got stale in my opinion. Atleast we did'nt go for secret uber werewolf-vampire hybrids. :p

All the LARP drove me crazy, I hated it and thought it was boring as hell, but damn... the girls... :dancing:

I still spent those LARP nights walking around town and beating up neo-Nazis and keeping their attention on me and some others instead of them fighting the LARP people. My idea of fun back then, believe it or not.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Pretty sure the lyrics are:

♪ Do you come from a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover. ♫

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hit one out of the park, but because it was a small appendix in a big case, no-one will ever know.

The hell kind of baseball is that, using organs in oversized containers...

• Like 1

Hectic couple of days tidying up loose ends on my current work before starting the new one. I now feel really sleepy and peaceful :).

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some crazy stuff happened at work that I'm not allowed to talk about. I've been in meetings all week. I hate sitting in meetings.  :banghead:

Did the crazy stuff happen in meetings? Was there a horse and a bald eagle?

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

Pretty sure the lyrics are:

♪ Do you come from a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover. ♫

That's the first chorus. The second chorus goes like this:

♪ I come from a land down under / Where beer does flow and men chunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover. ♫

In this case, chunder means vomit if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Some crazy stuff happened at work that I'm not allowed to talk about. I've been in meetings all week. I hate sitting in meetings. :banghead:

Did the crazy stuff happen in meetings? Was there a horse and a bald eagle?

That would have made the meeting fun, ffs!

I wish crazy stuff happened during our meetings! That would mean not falling asleep. Do a horsefaced person and lots of bald guys count?

Also, there's no school next week. Gives us time for planning and more. I shouldn't say I hate planning, but I do! :)

Recovering flu-wise, I'm at about 90% I think. Mostly the cough left. Oddly, this means I'm more sleepy. Guess one doesn't get a lot of quality sleep when sick, perhaps.

So it was a quiet day, listening to the rain, snoozing off and on. Nice to see some rain this week. Clears the allergens, soothing sound, gives moderate temps. This weekend...no plans. Might buy myself a 40" TV (not pc monitor) for this room and set it up with a cablebox. I'm getting a little tired of competing for the living room TV w/hubby and his couch-gaming. :lol: He doesn't like sports and half the stuff I watch, anyway. Plus that way I can have sports on while still doing something else on the PC's.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I learned that a species of ****roach has two penises, and it is a common occurrence for one to be ripped off during intercourse.

I'm going to get a drink.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Today I learned that a species of ****roach has two penises, and it is a common occurrence for one to be ripped off during intercourse.I'm going to get a drink.

Hence the name.

Turned 33. Off to celebrate later today with a random set of friends, most of whom have never met each other and the few that have were in my thesis defence party a bit over a year ago...

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 6

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Happy birthday then, Nep! :)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday Nep.

I went out  travelling for a couple of days for work. Then got to be bounced all around the Rail networks due to the weather causing floods and all sorts that disrupted travel. Got home late last night and crashed out. Woke up just after noon today...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."