What you did today

LadyCrimson

Previous incarnation.

...The days have been quite nice here the past week. But today I'm stuck in the house since hubby's van is running funny and he took my car.

So...a little winter yardwork this afternoon. Then probably some gaming.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Our winter has been pretty dry, which if that also translates into a weak "mt. snow pack," by Spring they'll be talking about drought worries again. Endless California cyclic concern. Sometimes they still get enough snowpack, however, even if the rain down here is sparse.

Today I stayed up far too late again. Not that doing so has ever been terribly unusual for me, but I certainly find as I get older that I feel mentally better when I get to sleep a bit earlier/get up earlier. Decades of habit and natural body rhythms are hard to break sometimes. Even when I manage to keep to an earlier schedule for a while, a single very late night has it all fly right out the window again. It's like being a booze addict who can never drink even a single drink. Bah! :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nice constant windchill of -33C today, lovely weather.  I think I'll work from home tomorrow to just take a break from commuting - that and our streetcars break down in intense cold, the air brakes fail apparently. 

Also noticing there's some dude from Dehli that's started working here, yet no one's introduced us to him. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was woken up today with a phonecall that started with;

"Hello, did you know you were supposed to be at work today"?

Well no, no I didn't. I wish when they changed the rotas at the last minuet, and it's quite possible that one of the managers did it yesterday when I was off, that they'd actually tell us rather than assume we'd just know. 

• Like 1

Bought myself a new jacket. Original price was $590 but I got it on sale for $330.

Wow Labadal you have lots of money to waste on unimportant things, think about all the starving children in Africa who could have benefitted from that money.... :biggrin:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Booked a flight to Iceland and return 9 days later.  :w00t: Wohoo! 

That's does sound interesting and unusual, you must go a hike to see Ice Caves.

What is the reason you are going?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've always wanted to do a hiking and camping trip in Iceland, there is so much to see and explore that those 9 days are nothing but a joke. But I'll try to make the best of it, I intend to not stay in any boring hotels, I'll rent an offroad car to explore this magnificent island on my own and sleep in my tent, that way I don't have to return to any hotels and can cover a lot of distance quick. 

Well, except on the last day, I do want a couple of hours to relax and have a proper shower. :lol:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Bought myself a new jacket. Original price was $590 but I got it on sale for $330.

Wow Labadal you have lots of money to waste on unimportant things, think about all the starving children in Africa who could have benefitted from that money.... :biggrin:

Not if it was a Dainese ... mmm, or Spidi. Those kids can starve all they want, they're not getting Italian leather. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

I've always wanted to do a hiking and camping trip in Iceland, there is so much to see and explore that those 9 days are nothing but a joke. But I'll try to make the best of it, I intend to not stay in any boring hotels, I'll rent an offroad car to explore this magnificent island on my own and sleep in my tent, that way I don't have to return to any hotels and can cover a lot of distance quick. 

Well, except on the last day, I do want a couple of hours to relax and have a proper shower. :lol:

Wow what a trip, nice one

I would love to do something like that, I wouldn't go for that long and I would use hotels or chalets for some of the trip but I would definitely hike and make sure I see as much scenery as possible. Make sure you take photos so we see what you are experiencing :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

I just got my bank statement from Cyprus. Apparently I am being charged a 25 euro quarterly maintenance fee. My annual interest for last year was 28,48 euros. That means I lost 71,52 euros on top of inflation for having my money with them. I called my bank and had a pleasant chat with them about it. Apparently my maths are completly correct. It is my perception of this as a problem that is wrong...

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

My university flatmate did that. I think his was a 2 week trip. He felt it was absolutely worth it.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It was worth every penny. basically, the jacket is telling winter that...

1087.jpg

• Like 2

A good jacket is not as important as good boots. But it's a close second.

EDIT:

Tired napping on my weights bench. Fell asleep for an hour. This is clearly the future.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A good jacket is not as important as good boots. But it's a close second.

EDIT:

Tired napping on my weights bench. Fell asleep for an hour. This is clearly the future.

Walsie I missed the reasons for your latest and horrendous bout of insomnia, is this due to your back pain or is it psychological ..like stress related?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Last minute prep for my Vegas trip

Over half the people that were supposed to go have backed out so now we have this huge house (8 bedrooms) that will now be mostly empty. Wouldn't normally be a problem but empty houses freak me out

But that means you will have ample space for any guests you may entertain :-

• Like 1

John Milton 

Trying to get to grips with a presentation.  Worked out roughly what needs to be said, but so far it's still in a general casual rambling way rather then an educational professional way.

Also, I seem to have a small stitch just under my left rib, that's been lurking for about 2 days now, but at least it seems to be fading now.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Trying to get to grips with a presentation.  Worked out roughly what needs to be said, but so far it's still in a general casual rambling way rather then an educational professional way.

Also, I seem to have a small stitch just under my left rib, that's been lurking for about 2 days now, but at least it seems to be fading now.

You probably already know this but I always say my presentations out loud to someone or to no one before I present to customers, normally a day or two before if time allows. I find this reduces the nerves and improves confidence as you are comfortable with the content

• Like 1

John Milton 

Also, adopt a feeling of disdain for your audience. You don't get nervous presenting to things that aren't human. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always remember: most people don't care how you did something, they want to know what they get out of it. And of the people who do care how you did it, only 10% of them will understand how. And that 10% will still be more interested in why it matters.

You could always try pointing out that what they get out of it is something done properly ( i.e. how you did it) but for reasons I've never understood, this doesn't work.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just remember that no matter what you do you'll die anyway and your life and everything you did will become completely irrelevant and meaningless. Sounds kind of depressing but this realization always helps me to get rid of all pressure even in the most difficult and dire stations. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Just remember that no matter what you do you'll die anyway and your life and everything you did will become completely irrelevant and meaningless. Sounds kind of depressing but this realization always helps me to get rid of all pressure even in the most difficult and dire stations. 

Funny enough I have heard that logic before but I don't think it really works for most people because we tend to believe in something and enjoy our time on earth.. we can't really meaningfully convince ourselves that life is pointless?

John Milton