What you did today

LadyCrimson

Today I was rather saddened to learn of the death of a co-worker whose retirement party I had attended less than 2 weeks ago.  He got 5 whole workdays out of retirement before a fatal heart attack.  Was a fantastically nice guy, and had no outward signs of illness-- he had always seemed to me as rather fit for a guy who was probably in his mid-60s. 

On the other hand, the wife and I went for a checkup today, and everything appears to be going well.  We're a scant 6 weeks from her due date.  The ultrasound tech was able to get a fantastic 3-D image of our son kicking himself in the face.  (Or maybe he was scratching his eyelid with his toe?)

• Like 2

Epicurus has a nice quote about death, so I guess you should treasure each day. Or something. 

Deep freeze continuing here, need to invest in a pair of long underwear, or something insulating I can wear under my pants. Walking home results in my skin frozen, bah.  But at least I got to come home to watch Die Hard 2 - sadly without Mr. Falcon in it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Funny enough I have heard that logic before but I don't think it really works for most people because we tend to believe in something and enjoy our time on earth.. we can't really meaningfully convince ourselves that life is pointless?

Well, here I am, someone who is totally aware of the irrelevance of existence and who has no beliefs at all. I play the game just because there is nothing better to do, but I really don't care much about anything and nothing gets to me at all.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today I was rather saddened to learn of the death of a co-worker whose retirement party I had attended less than 2 weeks ago.  He got 5 whole workdays out of retirement before a fatal heart attack.  Was a fantastically nice guy, and had no outward signs of illness-- he had always seemed to me as rather fit for a guy who was probably in his mid-60s. 

On the other hand, the wife and I went for a checkup today, and everything appears to be going well.  We're a scant 6 weeks from her due date.  The ultrasound tech was able to get a fantastic 3-D image of our son kicking himself in the face.  (Or maybe he was scratching his eyelid with his toe?)

Foot in mouth? I do this still. :)

~~

EDIT:

I don't know why anyone would deliberately pretend to despise their audience.

The best cure for nervousness about getting on your hind legs and speaking ...is having something worth saying.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dreamt Lenny Cravits and  some girl was in a knife fight concerning the ownership of a Deutcher Rundfunk mixtape which was playing in the background on a small boombox shaped like a steam train (mostly upbeat electro I guess, but everyone thought it was the bees knees) , well actually it was scissors, but they were using them like knives and there was more yelling than actual stabbing.

This was coming out of a steam bath, the girl was working at the ticket booth.  You would find a place to sit among several different areas, no doors just increased heat and humidity (this is the steam bath) and there would be a natural history panorama kind of thing going on behind a glass pane so you would have something to observe while you were steaming. Both my bosses from work, the old job one and the new one were there and i was annoyed that they would just go right in and throw their clothes on the floor without bothering with showering. Unisex I guess, anyway it didn't seem to matter. 

All this was somehow a finale to a missing persons case we were working on (presumed dead, it was all very sinister and David Lynch) but the details elude me.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The best cure for nervousness about getting on your hind legs and speaking ...is having something worth saying.

Makes sure you communicate it as coldly and efficiently as possible - just up, throw it at them and done.  Given that you're presenting something I'd imagine you also have something worth saying. Unless you have a burning need to waste your time, I suppose

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Makes sure you communicate it as coldly and efficiently as possible - just up, throw it at them and done.  Given that you're presenting something I'd imagine you also have something worth saying. Unless you have a burning need to waste your time, I suppose

You are forgetting that most people don't hate their job the way a puppy hates shoes.

Work out what you need to say, gather any props you need to get the point across, stand up and make your points while ensuring your audience don't lose interest. Coldly and monotonously hammering away at top speed renders the entire thing pointless. Because people will realise you hate them, and assume you're a spiteful s***. :)

With all due respect to whatever your financial situation is, you need to move jobs, Malc. Because your job is turning you into an arrogant wanker who thinks he's above everyone around him.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got a nice headache and happen to have had about three hours sleep. A friend who was a little high on pain meds and muscle relaxers after a trip to the ER decided to call and needed to talk in the early hours of the morning.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nearly lost my job today after coming within a hair's breadth of releasing a virus to my company. Some rapid learning of the email system and some fancy footwork and I just about cleaned up the mess before any damage was done.

I'm usually pretty clear headed in a crisis, but I won't lie, a little bit of poo came out.

• Like 3

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Proof positive that the father is an Obsidian Forum member. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

With all due respect to whatever your financial situation is, you need to move jobs, Malc. Because your job is turning you into an arrogant wanker who thinks he's above everyone around him.

Wow, such analysis from the likes of you.  Doing a presentation isn't meant to be exciting, if it's monotonous and not done in a warm manner, who cares, you communicate your idea well enough and that's it. They lose interest, well that's their problem.  It's like a University class in that regard, a prof told me that worked for him when he started, at least with large lectures. 

Don't mean to pile on the criticism Malc but I present all time as part of my job and your methodology doesn't support the principles of good presenting etiquette in any respects. But it did make me laugh with its absurdity... "adopt a feeling of disdain for your audience.... :lol:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Works for me though, granted mine are technical and I'm not trying to engage some types for sales or something.  But good to see you as cheerleader again.  Remember I did say adopt it, the attitude you approach it with affects how nervous you are. 

Bought myself a new jacket. Original price was $590 but I got it on sale for $330.

Wow Labadal you have lots of money to waste on unimportant things, think about all the starving children in Africa who could have benefitted from that money.... :biggrin:

He supported starving children elsewhere by buying a jacket made by them. ;)

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Is it technically difficult to patch a game piecemeal? I'm rather tired of games that make you download 1GB of data every week to fix only a few minor things...obviously one has to DL's a whole main file or something.

Bah...I must just be in an annoyed-mode...all these little things as I go through my morning are bugging me where they normally wouldn't. :lol: Time to get some lunch and go for a walk around the duck pond to decompress or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's not the Captain without his hat.

captain-and-tennil-3808.gif

Edit: finally ate lunch, will now travel.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes, I would like to shoot guns with Timothy Olyphant, please. Even if they use fake guns (no clue).

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/justified-olyphan

Workplace discussion today was on how one could set up a system for a strip club to work with coins rather than bills.  Got to love Fridays :lol:

Workplace discussion today was on how one could set up a system for a strip club to work with coins rather than bills.  Got to love Fridays :lol:

Magnetise the stripper piercings.

Next problem!

-Elwood Blues

Malc I hope you realize that strip clubs are demeaning to women and against the principles of social justice :p

I do frequent strip clubs sometimes, I actually enjoy partying with strippers. They are easy to understand and don't tend to complicate things. Its funny but when I first went to strip clubs I thought I had to save the girls from this "iniquitous" lifestyle . Everyone had a story about why they were doing what they doing but I realized later the girls were just reading my concern and attempting to connect with me so I would feel relaxed. If I now go to strip clubs I do best thing you can do, buy them a few drinks, treat them politely, chat about unimportant things and then pay them for the nights excursions. Keep it simple and don't try to over analyze things is a strip club :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela