RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to replay Kotor 2. This time, with all the mods.

I've been told yesterday that those guys who were making the restoration mod actually finished it. I still can't believe it, but in case you do, better check it out.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

The Electronic Arts and Collegiate Licensing Company settlement deal announced yesterday for former college players amounts to $40 million, according to a new report from The New York Times.

Michael Hausfeld, a lawyer for the players, confirmed the $40 million figure to The New York Times, but said he was not sure how the money would be divided.

"We have to come up with a plan of distribution, and that's what we are working on now," Hausfeld said.

The settlement deal is expected to affect more than 100,000 current and former college players who have appeared in EA-produced basketball and football games.

Representative for Electronic Arts and the Collegiate Licensing Company declined to comment today when approached by The New York Times.

Following the settlement announcement yesterday, EA Sports canceled its 2014 next-generation college football game and said the company is evaluating its options for the future of the brand.

MzpydUh.gif

I'm glad to hear that, it sounds like a reasonable settlement for both the players and EA.

The NCAA is the real villain here, and for some reason they are untouchable.  They run a total racket and take advantage of college athletes every day.

• Like 2

Chris Roberts on Star Citizen Crowdfunding Success, and Why He Doesn't Want a Publisher

"Kickstarter is very good for the community right at the beginning, but then afterwards you've got to have a solution, because it's not really a great place to interact. It doesn't have forums," Roberts says. 

There's also no way to bring in new fans (and their contributions) if your campaign is over. "Our solution was always to have a place for the community to hang out, first and foremost. For them to get information about the game, to share how it's getting done. They would also be able to back the game, and new people would be able to come into it," Roberts says. 

He also thinks that offering many physical rewards is largely an unnecessary complication. "Most people, when you back games, it's not really about the physical goods. It's about backing the game. They're actually quite happy to be backing this game they've missed for awhile, and the money's less of an issue. It's more of an issue of them having fun," he says. 

That sense of "fun" is why Roberts goes primarily for in-game rewards. The first piece of the game that Roberts is distributing to fans, the Hangar Module, is affected by pledge level. Those who back at higher tiers get more ships and a bigger hangar. 

"I would say that one of the reasons why we've raised this much money is that we've sort of gamified the backing," notes Roberts.

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

Of course,  devs love KS, they get the money and have all the power... Power to screw things up and then mock the backers and spit in their face. LMAO

"Most people, when you back games, it's not really about the physical goods. It's about backing the game. They're actually quite happy to be backing this game they've missed for awhile, and the money's less of an issue"

Flat out delusional lie. Why doesn't back this up by doing a KS that promises NOTHING in return. Let's see how much money they rake in when the backers aren't promised anything tangible in return.

I know, for sure, that Obsidian surely wouldn't have seen my $250 if I wasn't getting stuff in return. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Of course,  devs love KS, they get the money and have all the power... Power to screw things up and then mock the backers and spit in their face. LMAO

That's the beauty of Kickstarter in my opinion. If the new Torment, Eternity, Star Citizen, etc are horrible games. There is only one company to blame and that's the developers.

I hope they realize this. Especially Obsidian who has a history of complaining about publishers interrupting development. Well, now is the chance to show what you can do when that doesn't happen.

And I actually pledged to Eternity 50 euros or something, and I don't actually have much interest in the stuff I get apart from the game. I put 50 euros on the game, the digital stuff is just some nice stuff on the side.

Edited by Lord of Lost Socks

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

LucasArts was working on a HD version of Day of the Tentacle when Disney came and axed everything.

I really liked the monkey island HD versions and was hoping for HD versions of Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road, so I'm a bit angry now. Luckily there isn't a disneyworld anywhere near me or I'd be tempted to go there and punch the first Mickey I see.

^My emotional reaction: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4mSoZsbzM

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's the beauty of Kickstarter in my opinion. If the new Torment, Eternity, Star Citizen, etc are horrible games. There is only one company to blame and that's the developers.

I hope they realize this. Especially Obsidian who has a history of complaining about publishers interrupting development. Well, now is the chance to show what you can do when that doesn't happen.

And I actually pledged to Eternity 50 euros or something, and I don't actually have much interest in the stuff I get apart from the game. I put 50 euros on the game, the digital stuff is just some nice stuff on the side.

The unfortunate side of it is when people's expectations are misinformed, they may hear that it is a game from the guys who did sequels for BW games and did F:NV and think that the game will be something along those lines. Come release day there is no way they are not going to be disappointed.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The unfortunate side of it is when people's expectations are misinformed, they may hear that it is a game from the guys who did sequels for BW games and did F:NV and think that the game will be something along those lines. Come release day there is no way they are not going to be disappointed.

This is my greatest fear for project eternity. I really want it to succeed and be the true successor of the IE games.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If its as good as Icewind Dale I'll be happy. If its as good as BG2 I will be ecstatic. If its better than BG2 then mind blown.

This is my greatest fear for project eternity. I really want it to succeed and be the true successor of the IE games.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Kickstarter is like investment with no ownership or promise of return."

Except, supports are promised a return. Obsidian promised me certain things in return for my $250. if they don't follow through they broke the contract and are liable for damages. I, of co course expect them to succeed or I wouldn't have bothered to buy it.

"Kickstarter is like investment with no ownership or promise of return."

Except, supports are promised a return. Obsidian promised me certain things in return for my $250. if they don't follow through they broke the contract and are liable for damages. I, of co course expect them to succeed or I wouldn't have bothered to buy it.

They're not AFAIK liable for damages.  As I understand it by contract, they either have to give you what is promised in your tier or refund your money.  (That doesn't mean one couldn't sue, but damages aren't inherent in the Kickstarter contract).

What isn't promised is that the product will be made (they could just refund all the money), the product will be made in a timely fashion (I think some early kickstarter "successes" still aren't finished) or that it'll be good.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes, I believe it was to address some "take the money and run" scenarios still being played out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"They're not AFAIK liable for damages.  As I understand it by contract, they either have to give you what is promised in your tier or refund your money.  (That doesn't mean one couldn't sue, but damages aren't inherent in the Kickstarter contract)."

Trust me. They are obligated to live up to what they offered. You can't take x from someone while promising y in return and not be expected to be legally liable for it. Refund would be a reasonable way to deal with it legally. But, no way, can they legally take your money and run. That's left and the courts would cruficy them if it ever got ebfore a judge.

That's why the only KS I've backed  is Obsidian because a) I have reasonable believe they will deliver or b) if they don't, I know where the company is so it wouldn't be hard to serve them notice of intent to sue (it won't get that far).

"What isn't promised is that the product will be made (they could just refund all the money), the product will be made in a timely fashion (I think some early kickstarter "successes" still aren't finished) or that it'll be good."

All true.

So, out of interest, anyone knows what the biggest KS game funding failure was by now? Was anyone running off with lots of money already? I know that some companies have been running out of money, but I didn't really followed all this fuzz anymore lately.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"They're not AFAIK liable for damages.  As I understand it by contract, they either have to give you what is promised in your tier or refund your money.  (That doesn't mean one couldn't sue, but damages aren't inherent in the Kickstarter contract)."

Trust me. They are obligated to live up to what they offered. You can't take x from someone while promising y in return and not be expected to be legally liable for it. Refund would be a reasonable way to deal with it legally. But, no way, can they legally take your money and run. That's left and the courts would cruficy them if it ever got ebfore a judge.

That's why the only KS I've backed  is Obsidian because a) I have reasonable believe they will deliver or b) if they don't, I know where the company is so it wouldn't be hard to serve them notice of intent to sue (it won't get that far).

"What isn't promised is that the product will be made (they could just refund all the money), the product will be made in a timely fashion (I think some early kickstarter "successes" still aren't finished) or that it'll be good."

All true.

Are you sure about them being liable? I thought one of the legal caveats when you pledge is that a product isn't guaranteed. I don't know the whole legal bull around it.

Double Fine Adventure had the biggest budget blow out- actually I'm not sure 'budget' is appropriate as it implies any sort of cost control was applied. I'd suspect that Clang may have been the biggest outright failure, though I cannot recall exactly how much it made and IMO it was always a marginal proposition. There have been a couple of examples of outright fraud that I am aware of where someone has run off with cash leaving the contributors and in some cases actual people doing the work without anything.